Missing Dan Parkins today | Syracusefan.com

Missing Dan Parkins today

Dcuse

All Conference
would have been all over Williams, Funderburke and their coaches. Instead I got plugs for Yankee talk. The only mention on the 11-1 show was at the end where the host said to the other guy there, " Oh I heard they got a big guy. By the way, how is your gerbil diet goin?"

I've completely given up on The Score 1260. I listened to Axe for awhile after Danny Parkins left for KC. Despite popular opinion, I think Axe is a fairly good radio personality. But listening to him drone on and on for hours on end becomes numbing...especially when he gets on his Buffalo Bills rants.

I find myself turning to ESPNRadio more and more to hear McManus drone on and on instead. At least he has in studio guests to break up the monotony.

Regardless...DP was a real talent. His radio show was "must listen" and is definitely missed.

Axe does a nice job with his topics, atleast. He will touch on everything Orange and get the recruiting analysts on. ML is just terrible, though.

would have been all over Williams, Funderburke and their coaches. Instead I got plugs for Yankee talk. The only mention on the 11-1 show was at the end where the host said to the other guy there, " Oh I heard they got a big guy. By the way, how is your gerbil diet goin?"
A verbal commitment in CFB in May ain't worth squat

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I'll be doing "The Blind Side" with Brent romorrow at 3:30 if anyone wants to listen.

A verbal commitment in CFB in May ain't worth squat

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

and the bills still suck in may and labron has an over active gag reflex down the stretch...need more orange

Syracuse sports talk radio really has taken a turn for the worse over the last 20 years. I remember back in the day when we had Dan Palimino and Trevor Sparks (Palimino is now a motivational speaker/consultant out on the west coast if you can believe it or not) on one station, WHEN. And Steve Hyder on another, WSYR, doing sports talk radio. Then the stations merged and Palimino left for a job in Denver, Hyder was the only show in town and his show got really good. Leading into Adam Schein of course who had a great local show where he would bring on DeLeone and go after him after games and have compelling interviews and such.

Once he left it became romper room in Syracuse and almost downright embarrassing. Axe, Parkins, Lindsley, Bud and Manchild, to name a few, and for the last 10 years its been utter garbage! You would think being in the same town as the famous Newhouse school they could hand pick every year the best of the best or the top people from those graduation classes as an entire group of young hungry students fight to get work in the "real world" that finding quality hosts wouldn't be impossible. Hell they only need to find 1 or 2! Like that one kid who was a board-op at 1260, couldn't get a full time job here or anywhere, then goes to WFAN in NY (the largest sports radio station in the world) and wins a radio contest and is now on the air there. He is good enough for NYC and WFAN but not 1260? lol! Kid probably would have worked for 1/3 of the price of everyone who is currently on the air and would be doing a better job to boot!

Syracuse sports talk radio really has taken a turn for the worse over the last 20 years. I remember back in the day when we had Dan Palimino and Trevor Sparks (Palimino is now a motivational speaker/consultant out on the west coast if you can believe it or not) on one station, WHEN. And Steve Hyder on another, WSYR, doing sports talk radio. Then the stations merged and Palimino left for a job in Denver, Hyder was the only show in town and his show got really good. Leading into Adam Schein of course who had a great local show where he would bring on DeLeone and go after him after games and have compelling interviews and such.

Once he left it became romper room in Syracuse and almost downright embarrassing. Axe, Parkins, Lindsley, Bud and Manchild, to name a few, and for the last 10 years its been utter garbage! You would think being in the same town as the famous Newhouse school they could hand pick every year the best of the best or the top people from those graduation classes as an entire group of young hungry students fight to get work in the "real world" that finding quality hosts wouldn't be impossible. Hell they only need to find 1 or 2! Like that one kid who was a board-op at 1260, couldn't get a full time job here or anywhere, then goes to WFAN in NY (the largest sports radio station in the world) and wins a radio contest and is now on the air there. He is good enough for NYC and WFAN but not 1260? lol! Kid probably would have worked for 1/3 of the price of everyone who is currently on the air and would be doing a better job to boot!
who is that you are referring to? Carton

I'll be doing "The Blind Side" with Brent romorrow at 3:30 if anyone wants to listen.

As per your contract with the board...I expect a full recap of your ten questions in normal SWC detail. :D

I heard LeMoyne's Questions last week as I was off work...he did a great job and it was a nice radio segment. I'm sure Steve you'll do great too.

BTW, Stern I wouldn't lump Danny Parkins into the romper room category...he was great at talking SU sports.

Axe does a nice job with his topics, atleast. He will touch on everything Orange and get the recruiting analysts on. ML is just terrible, though.

I would say that Mike Lang ( ml ) is more then terrible... He is a scum bag!!!

I would say that Mike Lang ( ml ) is more then terrible... He is a scum bag!!!
Lang is such a scumbag, he listened to Lindsley and then made his kids listen to him on purpose, knowing how bad he is.

First of all, the guy who got won the slot on WFAN (John Jastremski) WON A CONTEST. They had an opening (it's between 1 and 6am on the weekends) on the graveyard of all graveyard shifts and they filled it with someone looking for a break. Stations up here can't afford to stock 24 hours of live programming. That's why it's so impossible to break in almost anywhere in talk radio. It's not that mind numbing that he couldn't get a slot in Syracuse, but could in NYC.

Secondly, there aren't that many talk guys coming out of Syracuse. Believe me, I know. I've been a teaching assistant in Broadcast Journalism for the last two years. After my old roommate and former Axe producer, Brian Barrett, got his own show in Virginia, I asked around school to see if anybody would want to move into Brian's old spot. There wasn't much interest. I know a bunch of radio guys, but few are interested in talk. Everyone wants to do play-by-play or just be a sports reporter. I'd say five guys a year tops want to do sports talk. There's no guarantee any of them are very good. Especially since everyone knows how hard to break in/get paid.

And even when the top guys out of SU DO end up on the Score (Barrett, Plavin), people love to crap all over them because they're not Parkins. Parkins had the feel, the voice, and the ego to do talk radio. Barrett had the feel and the voice, Plavin has the ego. Those are the top dudes coming out. Not everyone is a Parkins.

So you think anyone could do as well as Axe? It's not likely. He may not talk enough about SU sports for this board, but the guy isn't a bad host. ML Sports on the other hand? Well. That's been talked about enough on this board.

First of all, the guy who got won the slot on WFAN (John Jastremski) WON A CONTEST. They had an opening (it's between 1 and 6am on the weekends) on the graveyard of all graveyard shifts and they filled it with someone looking for a break. Stations up here can't afford to stock 24 hours of live programming. That's why it's so impossible to break in almost anywhere in talk radio. It's not that mind numbing that he couldn't get a slot in Syracuse, but could in NYC.

Secondly, there aren't that many talk guys coming out of Syracuse. Believe me, I know. I've been a teaching assistant in Broadcast Journalism for the last two years. After my old roommate and former Axe producer, Brian Barrett, got his own show in Virginia, I asked around school to see if anybody would want to move into Brian's old spot. There wasn't much interest. I know a bunch of radio guys, but few are interested in talk. Everyone wants to do play-by-play or just be a sports reporter. I'd say five guys a year tops want to do sports talk. There's no guarantee any of them are very good. Especially since everyone knows how hard to break in/get paid.

And even when the top guys out of SU DO end up on the Score (Barrett, Plavin), people love to crap all over them because they're not Parkins. Parkins had the feel, the voice, and the ego to do talk radio. Barrett had the feel and the voice, Plavin has the ego. Those are the top dudes coming out. Not everyone is a Parkins.

So you think anyone could do as well as Axe? It's not likely. He may not talk enough about SU sports for this board, but the guy isn't a bad host. ML Sports on the other hand? Well. That's been talked about enough on this board.

That's a pretty informative post right there.

Hyder's now one of the radio guys for the Pawtucket Red Sox. Real good guy.

I stated he won a contest, guess you missed that. Point is he IS better than the current host Mike Lindsley and was better than Parkins. So, there alone the station could have made and UPGRADE in its lineup if they just saw what was under their nose! That's the entire point I was making, there are people under their nose and possibly people coming out of school who are better than what they currently have on the air.

And just because Brent Axe is the best of a bad bunch doesn't make him good. His show is awful. Nothing worse than a guy who THINKS he's funny but isn't!

I stated he won a contest, guess you missed that. Point is he IS better than the current host Mike Lindsley and was better than Parkins. So, there alone the station could have made and UPGRADE in its lineup if they just saw what was under their nose! That's the entire point I was making, there are people under their nose and possibly people coming out of school who are better than what they currently have on the air.

And just because Brent Axe is the best of a bad bunch doesn't make him good. His show is awful. Nothing worse than a guy who THINKS he's funny but isn't!

Oh no. I didn't miss your point about winning a contest. My point is- winning a contest doesn't necessarily make him good at what he does. He was just better than everyone else who entered. But I've never heard his show, so whatever.

Also, it's been said about 80 times on this board- Lindsley works in sales at Cumulus. He's a good seller and isn't going anywhere.

Besides, your idea of constantly replacing people on the air just because some one graduated from Newhouse is more talented would never work. Talk radio is about an established rapport with a base of listeners. Putting in a new guy everyone wouldn't never fly with listeners- they want consistency.

Oh no. I didn't miss your point about winning a contest. My point is- winning a contest doesn't necessarily make him good at what he does. He was just better than everyone else who entered. But I've never heard his show, so whatever.

And better than everyone on 1260! I have heard him enough to know that much!

I never said constantly replace people, nice way to put words in my mouth to make up a point to come out against it. Find SOMEONE who is decent. That was the point. And keep trying till you get someone decent. Maybe you hit the jackpot and get him off the bat, maybe it takes 2 or 3 guys till you find "the one." But don't put crap on the air, raise your shoulders and say...what else can we do?! lol

Want to know what fly's with listeners, a good host! Syracuse hasn't had one in about a decade when it comes to sports talk. That's why that station sucks and is dying

Want to know what fly's with listeners, a good host! Syracuse hasn't had one in about a decade when it comes to sports talk. That's why that station sucks and is dying

Parkins had a very good following of listeners.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The Score has only been doing sports talk since like 06 or 07.

Parkins had a very good following of listeners.

Doesn't make him a good host at the end of the day. Because he wasn't. People on THIS board loved him because he actually talked SU football. But that doesn't make him a good host. Half the time he didn't know what he was talking about.

The Score has only been doing sports talk since like 06 or 07.
But its pretty much the same crew that all came over from WHEN! Axe, Bud and Manchild...etc. They took the Crunch and Chiefs. WHEN moved to 1260 essentially. So, its been longer than that in reality.

Doesn't make him a good host at the end of the day. Because he wasn't. People on THIS board loved him because he actually talked SU football. But that doesn't make him a good host. Half the time he didn't know what he was talking about.

I know plenty of people that aren't on this board that listened to him religiously. Agree or disagree with his topics he made it interesting.

I know plenty of people that aren't on this board that listened to him religiously. Agree or disagree with his topics he made it interesting.

To each their own but I thought he sucked. His post-game shows after games were beyond awful! His daily show was nothing special either.

That's why that station sucks and is dying

Do you have ratings or financial information that suggests the station is "dying"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom