Mitch McGary | Syracusefan.com

Mitch McGary

2-3zone

2nd String
went from not playing to now getting 17/11 per game in the NCAA tourney

talk about bringing it at the right time

He's a smart player. It was only a matter of time. He knows what his role is and he is filling very nicely.

Against Kansas, the guy was flat out awesome. Light years ahead of DC2 in positioning, touch, and composure. Really impressed with him.

I don't see him doing much in the post against us. The zone kind of takes that away. Where he can hurt us is the offensive glass.

I don't see him doing much in the post against us. The zone kind of takes that away. Where he can hurt us is the offensive glass.

Good call on the offensive glass. He is going to cause problems there for SU. As for attacking the zone, I think we will see a lot of high low action, with McGary on low blocks. It will be difficult to defend that and take away shooters on the wings.

Let's see what happens when he faces a wave of athletic bigs and defensive schemes he hasn't seen before.

And in the tourney Michigan has played uptempo teams (VCU,KS,Fla) let's make him prove in the halfcourt set. I watched him a ton in BiG games and I thought he was ehh in the halfcourt.

My feeling On McGary is this. He's a solid talent who should be respected, but I don't see him being better than a Chane Behanan, whom we've faced three times this year and plays a very similar game. We've been fairly successful with Behanan, and he usually goes off on us when we start focusing on Dieng or Harrell. Michigan only has McGary. They don't have a Dieng or Harrell to draw attention away from him. That was Indiana's problem. Zeller was a one man inside show. Teams that hurt us in the post are teams that have two skilled bigs that can work the high post / short corner passes. At the end of the day we have 15 fouls to throw at McGary, and they have no one near his ability to fill in.

If BMK and Roc can keep McGary away from the rim and easy put backs, and limit his offense to the high post, we will put a ton of pressure on UM's guards to make things happen, and that is usually when we get the turnovers. If we can prevent the quick reverse kick out passes from the high post like we did against Indiana, we should be in good shape.

My feeling On McGary is this. He's a solid talent who should be respected, but I don't see him being better than a Chane Behanan, whom we've faced three times this year and plays a very similar game. We've been fairly successful with Behanan, and he usually goes off on us when we start focusing on Dieng or Harrell. Michigan only has McGary. They don't have a Dieng or Harrell to draw attention away from him. That was Indiana's problem. Zeller was a one man inside show. Teams that hurt us in the post are teams that have two skilled bigs that can work the high post / short corner passes. At the end of the day we have 15 fouls to throw at McGary, and they have no one near his ability to fill in.

If BMK and Roc can keep McGary away from the rim and easy put backs, and limit his offense to the high post, we will put a ton of pressure on UM's guards to make things happen, and that is usually when we get the turnovers. If we can prevent the quick reverse kick out passes from the high post like we did against Indiana, we should be in good shape.

Good post, Pete.

Part of the problem with controlling McGary is that the zone is going to be more extended at the wings to defend all the shooters. Defenisive rebounding is already a liability.

The one major difference in the current run is that our Guards have now become a big time factor rebounding out of the zone. This is huge, IMO, and, thankfully, is not getting a lot of play from the analysts.

I love that very few big wigs are giving us a chance. Michigan this and Michigan that. That's fine. More locker room fodder. Seth Greenberg and Jay Bilas like us, and that's good with me. The rest can doubt us all they want.

He runs the floor really well, ala Zeller. What he did to Withey was very impressive and unexpected.

My biggest concern with McGary is that he's a beast on the offensive glass and our defensive rebounding is not a strength at all.

My biggest concern with McGary is that he's a beast on the offensive glass and our defensive rebounding is not a strength at all.
I'm not sure where this comes from? I think we're pretty good on the defensive glass...M2M gives up offensive rebounds too

I'm not sure where this comes from? I think we're pretty good on the defensive glass...M2M gives up offensive rebounds too

It comes from watching our team all year...it's tough to rebound out of the zone. We've been solid in the tourney but McGary is a beast on the glass.

It comes from watching our team all year...it's tough to rebound out of the zone. We've been solid in the tourney but McGary is a beast on the glass.
I hear you. Hopefully we can get him in some foul trouble early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom