MLB offseason talk | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

MLB offseason talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
U2 might be a tighter, more cohesive and current band, but if Led Zeppelin is playing, U2 opens.

The baseball history books, have barely a mention of Cleveland...and none in what? 70 years???

There’s a reason the Cleveland - Yankees series is always the prime time game and that reason isn’t Cleveland.

U2 might be a tighter, more cohesive and current band, but if Led Zeppelin is playing, U2 opens.

The baseball history books, have barely a mention of Cleveland...and none in what? 70 years???

I would beat you up right now if I saw you.

Who was our last batter last year? Anyone remember?

When I posted that originally, I wasn't trying to be ironic. I honestly thought it was Pedroia.

So, I had to look it up. It was Bogaerts. But at least he got some wood on the ball.

With four outs left, Ortiz got one more crack at tying the game with one swing, but Cleveland closer Cody Allen walked him on four pitches. After Hanley Ramirez's single made it a 4-3 game, Ortiz stood 180 feet away from scoring the tying run, so he was lifted for pinch-runner Marco Hernandez. Allen wriggled out of trouble by getting Xander Bogaerts to line out to second base.

Getting on base when you have power is good. The guy had an OPS of.760.

League average of OPS is .800.

His WAR was 1.5.

Plus his postseason numbers are atrocious.

He shouldn’t be in the top of the lineup he isn’t a guy I want getting an extra at bat.

League average OPS in the AL was 753 this year, fwiw. Pedroia was basically a dead average league hitter by the advanced metrics.

I hadn't really looked at the Sox overall as a team, they didn't hit much at all this year, huh? Pedroia arguably had the third best hitting season of anyone on the team.

League average OPS in the AL was 753 this year, fwiw. Pedroia was basically a dead average league hitter by the advanced metrics.

I hadn't really looked at the Sox overall as a team, they didn't hit much at all this year, huh? Pedroia arguably had the third best hitting season of anyone on the team.
Pedroia had no power and always batted with guys on base.
Plus he is a .200 hitter in the postseason since 2008.

He was awful.

Bientendi, Mookie, Vazquez all were better.
Bogaerts, Devers were as well.

Bientendi, Mookie, Vazquez all were better.
Bogaerts, Devers were as well.

Was just scanning their bbref page, by OPS+ they have

Devers: 112
Betts: 108
Benintendi: 103
Pedroia: 101
Moreland: 99
Xander: 95
Vazquez: 92

John “Wayne” Farrell is out.
Red Sox manager Farrell won't return in '18

Red Sox are getting a new manager.
Just hire somebody with a brain.
Don’t go for Brad Ausmus.
Alex Cora or Brad Mills would be my
Guy.
Alec Cora and Brad Mills. Brad Mills was a disaster his first go around. I would take our former captain jason before him. Of course, if the next manager wins the division 3 times in 5 years and one world championship, they have to go. Hopefully, he brings in Ausmus so the Sox can have the two guys Ben and Farrell beat in 2013.

Alec Cora and Brad Mills. Brad Mills was a disaster his first go around. I would take our former captain jason before him. Of course, if the next manager wins the division 3 times in 5 years and one world championship, they have to go. Hopefully, he brings in Ausmus so the Sox can have the two guys Ben and Farrell beat in 2013.
Brad Mills was the guy who took the bullet for the Astros rebuild.

The team had no talent and he managed those crap teams. He didn’t get a fair shot. Just like Francona in Philadelphia before he got the Boston job.
You can’t judge the guy off those astros teams.

The firing is getting near universal phrase on Twitter. Farrell was just awful.
The team had no respect for him and he didn’t command the clubhouse.

Vartiek doesn’t want the job.

I hope the yankees stupidly fire Girardi and he is a candidate.

Dombrowski said Farrell was fired for reasons he won't disclose and that no level of team success would have prevented that.

I mean cmon that tells you all you need to know.
Farrell had to go.

Dombrowski said Farrell was fired for reasons he won't disclose and that no level of team success would have prevented that.

I mean cmon that tells you all you need to know.
Farrell had to go.
He did not say that. Find a place in the transcript where Dave said that one, he was fired for reasons he won't disclose and two , no level of team success would have prevented him from being fired. He didn't say either of those things. I watched the press conference. Farrell was fired by the guy that once again, left the team he was G.M. of with holes. No power. Farrells fault. Farrell was fired because fans wanted him gone. They wanted him gone after Jessica Moran. They wanted him gone after Dennis Eckersley. I am a results given guy. I don't like Farrell as a manager or as a person (from what I see). He didn't deserve to be fired. 3 division titles in 5 years. One world championship. And by the way, back to back division titles on his way out the door. Fair is fair. The next manager will have a big hill to climb to do better than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

The team had no talent and he managed those crap teams. He didn’t get a fair shot. Just like Francona in Philadelphia before he got the Boston job.

lol getting universal praise on twitter. That is a riot. That is how you decide whether something is a good move? That is ridiculous. Boston fans always hate their manager. From Dick Williams on. When the next guy is fired, there will be universal praise for that firing as well. Maybe Bobby V is available.

Giardi's contract is up. it wouldn't be a firing. They would just move on. They won't. He might. Can you imagine if Farrell didn't ask for a review like that. There would be a death sentence.

He did not say that. Find a place in the transcript where Dave said that one, he was fired for reasons he won't disclose and two , no level of team success would have prevented him from being fired. He didn't say either of those things. I watched the press conference. Farrell was fired by the guy that once again, left the team he was G.M. of with holes. No power. Farrells fault. Farrell was fired because fans wanted him gone. they wanted him gone after Jessica Moran. they wanted him gone after Dennis Eckersley. I am a results given guy. I don't like Farrell as a manager or as a person (from what I see). He didn't deserve to be fired. 3 division titles in 5 years. One world championship. And by the way, back to back division titles on his way out the door. fair is fair. The next manager will have a big hill to climb to do better than that.
Dombrowski is getting killed for having a Press conference and not saying anything.

He said he wouldn’t disclose the reasons why Farrell was out and he refused to even give manager John boilerplate faint phrase.

The firing was well done. Alex Cora is the guy I think they get.

Dombrowski is getting killed for having a Press conference and not saying anything.

He said he wouldn’t disclose the reasons why Farrell was out and he refused to even give manager John boilerplate faint phrase.

Alex Cora. He is the guy that said that Rusney Castillo was going to be a great player. Off to a great start. He gave Farrell all kinds of praise just last week. said he did a great job. That was when they were spilling champagne after another division title.

The Red Sox are the most P.R. conscious team in America. The fans didn't like Farrell and they didn't like this team. They can't fire the players. Farrell was an easy choice. once again, I don't like him. I don't think he is a very good manager. Having said that, Dombrowski can't give a reason because no reason justifies this firing. lol Back to back division titles. They had not done that since division play started. 3 division titles in 5 years. A world title. Numbers don't lie.

Farrell was fired when you could buy tickets for game 3 and game 4 on the day of the game. You can do anything with this Red Sox ownership. But you can't do that.

The Red Sox are the most P.R. conscious team in America. The fans didn't like Farrell and they didn't like this team. They can't fire the players. Farrell was an easy choice. once again, I don't like him. I don't think he is a very good manager. Having said that, Dombrowski can't give a reason because no reason justifies this firing. lol Back to back division titles. They had not done that since division play started. 3 division titles in 5 years. A world title. Numbers don't lie.
this was my thought when I just read he got fired. His record should speak for itself and it's pretty damn good over the past 5 years.

Farrell was fired when you could buy tickets for game 3 and game 4 on the day of the game. You can do anything with this Red Sox ownership. But you can't do that.
I hated the team.
It wasn’t likable at all. Outside of Mookie and few other players.
They get soft media.
Farrell was not good.
He probably had his best year this year but change was needed.

He did not say that. Find a place in the transcript where Dave said that one, he was fired for reasons he won't disclose and two , no level of team success would have prevented him from being fired. He didn't say either of those things. I watched the press conference. Farrell was fired by the guy that once again, left the team he was G.M. of with holes. No power. Farrells fault. Farrell was fired because fans wanted him gone. They wanted him gone after Jessica Moran. They wanted him gone after Dennis Eckersley. I am a results given guy. I don't like Farrell as a manager or as a person (from what I see). He didn't deserve to be fired. 3 division titles in 5 years. One world championship. And by the way, back to back division titles on his way out the door. Fair is fair. The next manager will have a big hill to climb to do better than that.
In Press Conference To Explain Why He Fired John Farrell, Dave Dombrowski Doesn't Say Why He Fired John Farrell

Where does he say that no success would have enabled Farrell to keep his job? It's pretty clear you didn't watch the press conference. I did. Farrell couldn't give a reason because he didn't have numbers to back it up. And the Red Sox get anything but a soft media. They have the harshest media in all of baseball. The pats get a soft media. Steve Buckley, Dan S., Evan Drelich. These guys are soft? talk radio. Lou Merloni. Mike Felger. That is soft media? The view is different when you are here rather than in North Carolina. In the press conference, Dave said that managers have told him that they won't go to Boston. What does that tell you?

Interestingly, Dombrowski was asked this question directly as a follow-up: “Was there a number of wins or a certain amount of success that would have negated the reasons that you’re not mentioning why you’re making a change?”

Dombrowski answered: “No.”

Interestingly, Dombrowski was asked this question directly as a follow-up: “Was there a number of wins or a certain amount of success that would have negated the reasons that you’re not mentioning why you’re making a change?”

Dombrowski answered: “No.”
Here are the reasons for the firing. No sell outs in game 3 and game 4. There will be more major changes. The owners feel they have to change the fans view of this team. They just raised ticket prices. They could think John Farrell was Connie Mack (and he isn't) he was going to go. For ticket sales. Players will go for the same reason. I just hope they don't do something dumb like over pay for a power hitter. I don't think they will because the one thing that Dombrowski is good for is trading. The brewer trade not withsatnding.

Where does he say that no success would have enabled Farrell to keep his job? It's pretty clear you didn't watch the press conference. I did. Farrell couldn't give a reason because he didn't have numbers to back it up. And the Red Sox get anything but a soft media. They have the harshest media in all of baseball. The pats get a soft media. Steve Buckley, Dan S., Evan Drelich. These guys are soft? talk radio. Lou Merloni. Mike Felger. That is soft media? The view is different when you are here rather than in North Carolina. In the press conference, Dave said that managers have told him that they won't go to Boston. What does that tell you?
Buckley is fair.
Drelich had a session where Price called him out and yelled at him in New York. Drelich refused to say what happened.
He isn’t tough.
Shaughnessy who trolls everything Boston had this column.
Dan Shaughnessy: Piling on Red Sox pitcher David Price makes no sense - The Boston Globe
Shaughnessy hates everything Boston except when his bosses tell him lay off the Sox.
Merloni is totally fair. He hated Farrell more than me.

Felger the love bug again is a troll who is smart about it. He lets his lab dog Mazz be the stooge idiot but Felger is toUgh on all teams except he loves hockey and the bruins.

Pete Abe/Rob Bradford/Beat writers are soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom