MLS Thread | Syracusefan.com

MLS Thread

jordville

Hall of Fame
I couldn't find a thread dedicated to MLS, so I thought I'd start one. The MLS is going to kickoff it's restart to their season before all the other major sports here. It will be a "World Cup" style tournament all played in Orlando. They did the draws for each grouping earlier today.

July 8th. Here is a quick breakdown...
A76B641C-AC41-4FA7-BD73-6E4A37C97624.gif

This would be huge for soccer a sport desperate to get some attention in this country.

This also oddly provides me the opportunity to root for both NY teams.

it'll be:

1. RedBull NY
2. NYCFC

I like the format...as a World Cup fan, I’m familiar with it.

This is unique for the times.

Nice Fluckin Job!!

This also oddly provides me the opportunity to root for both NY teams.

it'll be:

1. RedBull NY
2. NYCFC

I like the format...as a World Cup fan, I’m familiar with it.

This is unique for the times.

Nice Fluckin Job!!
Definitely outside the box thinking.

Really looking forward to it.

I’m excited for this even though I admit I haven’t followed it too closely in the past. Is there a reason the groups are 6, 4, 4 rather than 5, 5, 4?
The league has 26 teams-- 13 East and 13 West. They moved Nashville to the East for this and the rest of the 2020 season, so they would have even numbers (14 East & 12 West). 2 advance from each group and the four best 3rd place teams advance to the round of 16. I also heard that 3 will advance from Group A, the group of 6 (but each team won't play each other)...
groupA-matchups.png

Latest global football rankings from FiveThirtyEight.com put the top MLS and Liga MX sides about at the level of a middling Europa League team.

MLS is back and apparently only streaming on Apple TV...
I can't even watch ATL UTD here in our local market. Disappointed. Soccer coverage is shifting for the USMNT too. Not the way to get extra viewers on the beautiful game.

Edit: For those interested.. I just logged in with my Apple ID and can stream this match for free. Not sure if it is just for opening day or if it'll be like this all season. I don't have Apple TV fyi.

Last edited:
I can't even watch ATL UTD here in our local market. Disappointed. Soccer coverage is shifting for the USMNT too. Not the way to get extra viewers on the beautiful game.

Edit: For those interested.. I just logged in with my Apple ID and can stream this match for free. Not sure if it is just for opening day or if it'll be like this all season. I don't have Apple TV fyi.
If you have T-Mobile, you can get the MLS Season Pass for free.

I'm a pro/rel for US Soccer guy. MLS is ok but not enough clubs are serious IMO. The good old boys network still too influential in a lot of teams (looking at you LA Galaxy)

Apple TV will allow you to watch some games for free, but not all.

As Day2 mentioned, you can get the Season Pass for free via T-Mobile if you have T-Mobile or know anyone that has it. The Season Pass can be shared with up to 6 other people, so for example, my parents, myself, and my friend are all sharing the Season Pass between our 3 Apple TV accounts.

It's a pretty sweet deal, especially with the much improved presentation of the games. It was difficult to watch DC games locally the past few years and when I was able to watch, it generally looked like crap (in addition to the team being bad lol). It all looks great now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom