Monday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Monday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

ivan-foy-48f5cfe61b5dec8c.jpg

Ivan Foy Cleared to Return for Summer Workouts (PS; Mink)

Ivan Foy, a returning starter along the offensive line who missed the spring while serving a suspension, has been cleared to return for summer workouts, according to head coach Scott Shafer.

Foy was suspended for academic reasons, but Shafer was hopeful Foy would be able to return by training camp. While suspended, Foy still had access to the school's tutors and academic support system.

The 6-foot-4, 313-pound redshirt junior started all 13 games at right tackle for Syracuse last season.

Can't Wait for Syracuse Football 2014! (Video; Youtube; Syracuse Football Fan)

Recruiting

Teammates Sam Clausman, Colin Byrne, Give Verbal Commitments to Syracuse Football Back-to-Back (PS; Mink)

images

Sam Clausman

1767883_156ce645e2e844219093ca72eaf36ae8.jpg

Tim Byrne

Clausman, a 6-foot-4, 301-pound guard, and Byrne, a 6-foot-6, 305-pound tackle, reached their decision Friday to verbally commit to Syracuse's 2015 recruiting class, a two-for-one packaged deal for Syracuse, which is looking to take five offensive linemen in this recruiting cycle. A third lineman from Illinois, Cody Conway, also committed to Syracuse on Friday.

Byrne, who is fielding interest from other schools but has not yet received any other offers, decided to commit after months of pursuit by McDonald and a family tie to the area — his mother graduated high school with men's lacrosse coach John Desko — that reinforced the notion the school would be a good fit.

Byrne went into the office of Rocco Casullo, the head coach at St. Thomas Aquinas and son of former SU assistant Bob Casullo, and the two quickly got McDonald on the phone to relay the news.

Clausman soon found out about Byrne's commitment, called his mother informing her he would be following Byrne to Syracuse and went to find Casullo.

"Coach, I got some news for you," Clausman said to Casullo.

"What?"

"I want to commit to Syracuse."

"Awesome, let's go to my office and get Coach McDonald on the phone."

That's when Clausman broke the news to McDonald.

"I think his exact words were, 'Hang on, I think I just passed out.'" Clausman said.

CodyConway636jpg-9-1393431211.jpg

SU Lands 6'6 280 Behemoth Cody Conway, Highly Rated OT From Illinois (PS; Carlson)

If Syracuse doesn't set a record for most stars collected in a day of recruiting, the Orange might at least be able to lay claim to the most pounds.

Syracuse landed its third verbal commitment from an offensive lineman on Friday when Cody Conway, a 6-foot-6, 280-pound tackle picked SU. Conway is the most highly-regarded of the three by scouting services, earning three stars from the recruiting website At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.. Scout broke the news and Conway confirmed his commitment on his Twitter account.

Will be wearing these jerseys soon enough. Verbally comitted to syracuse!

10354389_632300143530906_1949988128_n.jpg

Dontae Stickland (3)

Syracuse Receives Visit from Four Star Athlete From NJ (247sports.com; Dowlar)

Four-star athlete Dontae Strickland (Monmouth Junction, N.J./South Brunswick) took a trip to Syracuse on Saturday to see what the Orange have to offer.

Strickland, a four-star athlete according to 247Sports, is rated as the No. 25 athlete in the country and the No. 10 prospect in the state of New Jersey. He is a three-star prospect in the 247Sports Composite.

Strickland posted a photo of himself on Instagram wearing a Syracuse jersey to see how it looks while on the visit.

Some other places Strickland has been since January include Penn State, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Temple and Rutgers.

Former Players

Way Too Early Predictions on How Giant Draft Picks Will Do (bigbluereview.com; Invictus XI)

...Round 3 - Jay Bromley, DT, Syracuse
Prediction: 0 starts, 18 tackles, 1 sack, 3 TFL, 1 PD.

A slow start for the 3 technique from Syracuse. Like all high defensive tackle draft picks of late from the New York Giants, I see this as more of a redshirt year for Bromley. He likely gets a similar amount of snaps as Johnathan Hankins did last year.

Cullen Jenkins is firmly entrenched as the starter next to Hankins, and I don't envision Bromley beating him out anytime soon. I do see him making an impact in the rotation as the fourth guy behind those two and Mike Patterson. As a pass rusher, I can see him getting a garbage time sack as well as a few tackles for loss. He's definitely a work in progress, so don't expect immediate gratification, but with some technique refinement, we may just have something here.

Last edited:
What a fantastic weekend of recruiting and getting quality big guys like this will help get some of those fast guys as well. Nothing better than having big guys protecting and ripping holes for plays to be ran the way they are designed to be. Love it.

Great getting a returning starter back as well. Things are lining up nicely.