Montana Scouting Report | Syracusefan.com

Montana Scouting Report

Marsh01

Living Legend
Ok sorry for the delay. I did like 25 teams and never thought we could possibly play Montana.

Montana Grizzlies
Big Sky Conference
25-6 (19-1)
RPI - 76
BPI 131

PPG 71.1 (88th)
RPG 31.8 (309th)
APG 12.9 (156th)
FG% .474 (23rd)

Turnovers per game - 12

Recent Tournament History

2010 Loss to New Mexico 62-57
2012 Lost to Wisconsin 73-49

Starting 5

F Eric Hutchinson 6'9" 230 Junior 3.3 PPG
F Spencer Coleman 6'6" 198 Junior 7.7 PPG/3.6RPG
F Kareen Jamar 6'5" 210 Junior 14.5 PPG/6.5RPG/4.1 APG
G Jordan Gregory 6'2" 188 Sophmore 8.3 PPG/3.3 RPG
G Will Cherry 6'1" 181 Senior 13.5 PPG/4.2 RPG/4.1 APG

Bench

F Mike Weisner 6'7" 195 Senior 6.0 PPG
G Kevin Henderson 6'5" 208 F 2.7PPG
G Keron Deshields 6'2" 182 Sophmore 7.0 PPG

Strengths:

They are a good perimeter scoring team. They have a team of good shooters and they are 18th in the country in 3 point percentage (38.6%). They are a good scoring team.

Weaknesses:

This team really struggles to rebound on the offensive end and they rank near the bottom in terms of total offensive rebounds per game (331st). They shoot a lot of three pointers a game (19 a game) and that is a main reason why they dont rebound well. They also are not a big team.

Their best player is Kareen Jamar. He is the Big Sky Player of the Year. He is a very athletic player who can score from inside and out. He does like to post up on the block as well as use his strength of attacking the basket by going one one one a lot (iso drives). He also is a good shooter.

Jordan Gregory is also a very good player. He shoots it 44% from three point range and also is a very good FT shooter.

They are a patient offensive team that relies on Jamar as their primary scoring option. They do try to set screens to get him shots. One big loss for this team is 6'7" Senior forward Mathias Ward who broke his foot about 10 days ago. He averaged almost 15 PPG and was their best low post player.

They play a half court man to man defense and occasionally play a 2-3 zone. They used zone is their game against Weber State in the finals of the Big Sky Tournament and it helped them get the auto bid.

The way that this team wins is by shooting well. hey are also the 7th best FT shooting team in the country and shoot it at 77% from the stripe. They do get to the line a lot and this helps them score points.

The way to beat this team is to take good looks away from their guards Jamar and Cherry. Defenses will have to make sure they find these 2 players all game long.

KenPom

CategoryStatNat'l rank
Offensive efficiency 106.5 80
Defensive efficiency 104.7 244
3-point percentage 38.6 18
3-point percentage D 33.5 152
Free throw rate 42.2 32
Free throw rate D 35.0 148
TO percentage 19.2 127
TO percentage D 18.6 252

This team is capable of winning a game against team by making shots and getting to the FT line. If they struggle shooting or face a team that can get out and contest their shooters they will struggle to compete. They will rely on their last years experience in the NCAA's to help them try and pull an upset.

Ok sorry for the delay. I did lie 25 teams and never thought we could possibly play Montana.

Montana Grizzlies
Big Sky Conference
25-6 (19-1)
RPI - 76
BPI 131

PPG 71.1 (88th)
RPG 31.8 (309th)
APG 12.9 (156th)
FG% .474 (23rd)

Turnovers per game - 12

Recent Tournament History

2010 Loss to New Mexico 62-57
2012 Lost to Wisconsin 73-49

Starting 5

F Eric Hutchinson 6'9" 230 Junior 3.3 PPG
F Spencer Coleman 6'6" 198 Junior 7.7 PPG/3.6RPG
F Kareen Jamar 6'5" 210 Junior 14.5 PPG/6.5RPG/4.1 APG
G Jordan Gregory 6'2" 188 Sophmore 8.3 PPG/3.3 RPG
G Will Cherry 6'1" 181 Senior 13.5 PPG/4.2 RPG/4.1 APG

Bench

F Mike Weisner 6'7" 195 Senior 6.0 PPG
G Kevin Henderson 6'5" 208 F 2.7PPG
G Keron Deshields 6'2" 182 Sophmore 7.0 PPG

Strengths:

They are a good perimeter scoring team. They have a team of good shooters and they are 18th in the country in 3 point percentage (38.6%). They are a good scoring team.

Weaknesses:

This team really struggles to rebound on the offensive end and they rank near the bottom in terms of total offensive rebounds per game (331st). They shoot a lot of three pointers a game (19 a game) and that is a main reason why they dont rebound well. They also are not a big team.

Their best player is Kareen Jamar. He is the Big Sky Player of the Year. He is a very athletic player who can score from inside and out. He does like to post up on the block as well as use his strength of attacking the basket by going one one one a lot (iso drives). He also is a good shooter.

Jordan Gregory is also a very good player. He shoots it 44% from three point range and also is a very good FT shooter.

They are a patient offensive team that relies on Jamar as their primary scoring option. They do try to set screens to get him shots. One big loss for this team is 6'7" Senior forward Mathias Ward who broke his foot about 10 days ago. He averaged almost 15 PPG and was their best low post player.

They play a half court man to man defense and occasionally play a 2-3 zone. They used zone is their game against Weber State in the finals of the Big Sky Tournament and it helped them get the auto bid.

The way that this team wins is by shooting well. hey are also the 7th best FT shooting team in the country and shoot it at 77% from the stripe. They do get to the line a lot and this helps them score points.

The way to beat this team is to take good looks away from their guards Jamar and Cherry. Defenses will have to make sure they find these 2 players all game long.

KenPom

CategoryStatNat'l rank
Offensive efficiency 106.5 80
Defensive efficiency 104.7 244
3-point percentage 38.6 18
3-point percentage D 33.5 152
Free throw rate 42.2 32
Free throw rate D 35.0 148
TO percentage 19.2 127
TO percentage D 18.6 252

This team is capable of winning a game against team by making shots and getting to the FT line. If they struggle shooting or face a team that can get out and contest their shooters they will struggle to compete. They will rely on their last years experience in the NCAA's to help them try and pull an upset.

Marsh can you give your thoughts on how SU matches up?

Marsh how the heck did we draw Montana and Marquette got Davidson. Davidson is a lot tougher than Montana. I realize Montana can beat us if they play well, but Davidson played Duke with Ryan Kelly even for a half in Charlotte in December.

I picked them to beat Wisconsin last year. That didn't work out too well.

Marsh can you give your thoughts on how SU matches up?

We match up well with this team. We will need to defend the 3 point shot because they have little inside game with Ward out. If they go cold we should run this team off the floor as they are a very poor rebounding team. They do play a half court man defense but its not a pressure defense like we have seen out of Pitt or Georgetown or Louisville.

We cant fall into that same pattern against Asheville last year and chuck up three pointers. Attack the basket and dominate this team from the opening tip.

Donte Greene tweeted that his cousin played for Montana. I'm thinking it is the Deshields kid as he is from B-more. I would love for JAB to mix up the line up a little bit since they run fairly small. We know that won't happen, but it's something to think about. Thanks Marsh. Are you thinking UNLV or Cal.

We match up well with this team. We will need to defend the 3 point shot because they have little inside game with Ward out. If they go cold we should run this team off the floor as they are a very poor rebounding team. They do play a half court man defense but its not a pressure defense like we have seen out of Pitt or Georgetown or Louisville.

We cant fall into that same pattern against Asheville last year and chuck up three pointers. Attack the basket and dominate this team from the opening tip.

Thanks, your breakdowns are always a big help and greatly appreciated. Honestly I am al ot more concernted about this game after reading your breakdown, this game screams Ashville Part 2.

Marsh how the heck did we draw Montana and Marquette got Davidson. Davidson is a lot tougher than Montana. I realize Montana can beat us if they play well, but Davidson played Duke with Ryan Kelly even for a half in Charlotte in December.

I was stunned. I would have bet that we got Marquettes draw and they got our draw. Davidson is so much better than Montana and we lucked out big time. Plus they may have to play Butler. No thank you!

pm me your brackets. Thanks in advance :cool:

Donte Greene tweeted that his cousin played for Montana. I'm thinking it is the Deshields kid as he is from B-more. I would love for JAB to mix up the line up a little bit since they run fairly small. We know that won't happen, but it's something to think about. Thanks Marsh. Are you thinking UNLV or Cal.

UNLV. Cal is weak

Sounds like we'll have 4 guys guarding the perimteter leaving Rak/BMK on an island

Marsh, thanks for the info. For some reason I worry about these types of teams. I called the 2nd half last night before the 2nd half started, lol. I just saw it coming. I like the fact we don't play any stellar defensive teams at least until IU.

Marsh, thanks for the info. For some reason I worry about these types of teams. I called the 2nd half last night before the 2nd half started, lol. I just saw it coming. I like the fact we don't play any stellar defensive teams at least until IU.
The unknown is scary. Fact is, Providence and Seton Hall would both probably beat Montana easily.

The unknown is scary. Fact is, Providence and Seton Hall would both probably beat Montana easily.

If you just look at it based on Pomeroy, they are basically equal to Long Beach State, who we beat by 31 at home.

Or for BE teams, they are 154th. USF is 146, Depaul is 162.

If you just look at it based on Pomeroy, they are basically equal to Long Beach State, who we beat by 31 at home.

Or for BE teams, they are 154th. USF is 146, Depaul is 162.

Asheville was a similar team last year. Last year that team was a 15 seed (could have even been a 14 seed based on their RPI) and that is what we have with Montana.

They shoot it well but with their big out they have little to no inside game. We should have no problems with this team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom