Monumental opportunity at Pitt in 11 days | Syracusefan.com

Monumental opportunity at Pitt in 11 days

Eric15

Living Legend
In my opinion, next Thursday's game at Pitt is one of the top three most important SU football games this century. The other two are the 2018 and 2022 games at Clemson. We had Clemson on the ropes in the 4th quarter in both of those games, but we just couldn't close.

If we lose at Pitt, it's not the end of the world, but we're probably looking at a Pinstripe Bowl appearance, which quite frankly bores me to death after having been to all three of them. Playing at Yankee Stadium the first time was very cool. It's not cool anymore. It's freezing and the sight lines suck.

Honestly, if not this year, then when? The playoff has expanded. We have our best QB in a quarter century. We have our best tight end in 30 years. LQA is clutch out of his mind. We have playmakers. We should have our best defender back. We have a special teams unit that puts most Pop Warner teams to shame.

Pitt will be a very difficult team to beat. They're fundamentally sound and have had our number for two decades, but they aren't scary good by any means. Cal could have easily beat them with a chip shot field goal. After that we play four games against solid but also beatable teams (VT, BC, Cal, UConn). If the stars align, we are looking at the biggest game inside the friendly confines since the 1992 Miami game, and a possible Gameday location if Miami is undefeated.

It's certainly possible that this all falls apart and we finish with 4 or 5 losses, but I don't know. I just have this sneaking suspicion that something special is brewing. It's mid-October and we control our own destiny. In my lifetime, those are words that we have been able to utter very rarely.

In my opinion, next Thursday's game at Pitt is one of the top three most important SU football games this century. The other two are the 2018 and 2022 games at Clemson. We had Clemson on the ropes in the 4th quarter in both of those games, but we just couldn't close.

If we lose at Pitt, it's not the end of the world, but we're probably looking at a Pinstripe Bowl appearance, which quite frankly bores me to death after having been to all three of them. Playing at Yankee Stadium the first time was very cool. It's not cool anymore. It's freezing and the sight lines suck.

Honestly, if not this year, then when? The playoff has expanded. We have our best QB in a quarter century. We have our best tight end in 30 years. LQA is clutch out of his mind. We have playmakers. We should have our best defender back. We have a special teams unit that puts most Pop Warner teams to shame.

Pitt will be a very difficult team to beat. They're fundamentally sound and have had our number for two decades, but they aren't scary good by any means. Cal could have easily beat them with a chip shot field goal. After that we play four games against solid but also beatable teams (VT, BC, Cal, UConn). If the stars align, we are looking at the biggest game inside the friendly confines since the 1992 Miami game, and a possible Gameday location if Miami is undefeated.

It's certainly possible that this all falls apart and we finish with 4 or 5 losses, but I don't know. I just have this sneaking suspicion that something special is brewing. It's mid-October and we control our own destiny. In my lifetime, those are words that we have been able to utter very rarely.
The bowl game is going to suck when McCord sits out like every other graduating NFL player does, I won't get mad at him, I just adjust and stop caring about bowl games now

But I agree it's a huge game

Pitt got lucky yesterday and Duzzi is a classic meathead.

Favorite game last year was the unveiling of the Villari offense gimmick show and watching Narduzzi incapable of dealing with it - even after half.

They've had our number for the better part of this century... time we return the favor.

Why was Pitt not able to pass vs Cal? They been throwing it all over the place this season. They will be the first team that we play with a good passing attack, which worries me given our D. They also will put a lot of pressure on our OL. Will be our biggest challenge yet. But if we get through this, we could have a big season.

the difference between SU being 6-0 and Pitt being 6-0 is a simple FG.

I always like football in Yankee Stadium as it's iconic and an easy trip for me (I'm on Long Island that week). But agreed this team is way better than that finish this year.

Very tempted to make the trip to Pitt even though it’s on a Thursday. Would be my first away game.
My buddy and I just pulled the trigger on this yesterday. Going down Thursday and coming back Friday. Hotels are surprisingly affordable and like others have said tickets are cheap. Let's pack Heinz Field with a sea of orange.

Very tempted to make the trip to Pitt even though it’s on a Thursday. Would be my first away game.
I was on the fence of going to this show in Morgantown on Saturday, now I'm really on the fence about spending 3 days in the Pittsburgh area.

You should absolutely go. Tickets are affordable and plentiful. We got two tickets on the 50 yard line like 15 rows behind the SU bench on StubHub for under $100 total.
Went a couple years and similar tickets for around the same price. Love going going there!

It's weird for me to consider Pitt to be a "top team". When I got to Syracuse it was the Johnny Majors 2.0 years and they were the bottom of the barrel. They have risen to becoming a mediocre to good team yearly. Their consistency is really the best attribute since the 21st century.

Roundabout way of me saying that i'm not ever worried about Pitt and yet they out-ugly us in these games for wins. LFG

So Pitt is 6-0

dominated the 2 bad teams

Cinci they led for 17 secs
WV they never led by more than 7 and trailed by 10 with 5 min to go
UNC never led by more than 7 until 2min to go
Cal got a 11 pt lead late and i took a failed 2pt and missed FG to hold on

On the field they probably should be 3-3

SU

Dominated the bad team
Stan was a slog
Gt had a 17 pt lead with 5 Min to go never trailed
UNLV had a 14 and a 10 pt lead get away
NC St had a 10 and a 17 pt lead with 10 min to go. Never trailed

5-1 is probably about right but enough went right that 6-0 could happen.

Cinci 4-2
Cal is 3-3
WV is 3-3
UNC is 3-4
Young town 2-5
Kent 0-6

vs

Gt 5-2
Unlv 5-1
Ohio 4-2
Nc st 3-4
Stan 2-4