Monumental opportunity at Pitt in 11 days | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Monumental opportunity at Pitt in 11 days

Fair question…
From my POV, a rival should be the one team a fan or the fans base wants to beat more than any other. I fear that is a true poll we’re taken, we’d see Clemson taking the role of Duke hoops. The younger portion of the fanbase is naive and they’re driven by an instant notoriety and/or social media. “When we beat Clemson in 2017, my cousins from the West Coast texted me and we were all over Twitter. So, that’s who I want to beat most. A top 10 program.”

No. We’ve played Pitt every year for ~60 consecutive n seasons. And we need to change the two-decade long trend of them owning the series.

That’s why all SU fans need to prioritize this series. I do not care if Pitt’s dozens of fan’s prioritize others (WVU, Ped State) and see us a tertiary “rival.” It’s time to reclaim the series.

Puck Fitt.
SU has measuring stick opponents and then a group of regional/conference peers. I don’t think there is a single true rival.

I think part of the problem with having a true rival is our location. Generally speaking there aren't opposing fans in CNY and the other Northeastern campuses are far away. So teams do not bring a bunch of fans and there is not a lot of interaction between fanbases.

Because of our alumni we have plenty of fans between Boston and DC, which helps when we are on the road. But there is no vice versa.

-UB is what 150 miles? Plus we have no history and they are G5.
-Army 225 miles? They have Navy.
-Penn State/Rutgers/Temple/UMass 250? Penn State is way above us, Temple/UMass way below us.
-Delware/UConn 275? Both are well below us.
-BC 300? They don't have much of a fanbase and get students/players from Catholic schools.
-Pitt/MD/Navy 350? Navy has Army. Pitt has WV and isn't close enough for their fans, nor our fans.
WV 425? They have Pitt and are far away.

Also havingTHE rival generally is across ALL sports. Because of BBall that eliminates any chance with WV, Navy, BC, Delaware, UMass, Rutgers, Penn State, Army, and UB.

Really the only one who could fit across both sports is UConn if they were in the same FB and BBall conference as us.

For just FB, I think the best chance at an annual TG weekend game would be Rutgers. They are a poor fit but the best fit IMO. Maybe MD too if we did a BBall combo.

I think part of the problem with having a true rival is our location. Generally speaking there aren't opposing fans in CNY and the other Northeastern campuses are far away. So teams do not bring a bunch of fans and there is not a lot of interaction between fanbases.

Because of our alumni we have plenty of fans between Boston and DC, which helps when we are on the road. But there is no vice versa.

-UB is what 150 miles? Plus we have no history and they are G5.
-Army 225 miles? They have Navy.
-Penn State/Rutgers/Temple/UMass 250? Penn State is way above us, Temple/UMass way below us.
-Delware/UConn 275? Both are well below us.
-BC 300? They don't have much of a fanbase and get students/players from Catholic schools.
-Pitt/MD/Navy 350? Navy has Army. Pitt has WV and isn't close enough for their fans, nor our fans.
WV 425? They have Pitt and are far away.

Also havingTHE rival generally is across ALL sports. Because of BBall that eliminates any chance with WV, Navy, BC, Delaware, UMass, Rutgers, Penn State, Army, and UB.

Really the only one who could fit across both sports is UConn if they were in the same FB and BBall conference as us.

For just FB, I think the best chance at an annual TG weekend game would be Rutgers. They are a poor fit but the best fit IMO. Maybe MD too if we did a BBall combo.
Should be Penn State. When we are back to regular top 25, we should beg them for an annual game. Outside B1G regular schedule, we are their closest rival in FBS.

Maybe in the 50’s and 60’s

Mac on PSU was the measuring stick, then Miami, the Clemson
Always pstate when we were home and away. Once the series ended i agree but up until that time there is no doubt that Pstate was our number one rival.

Always pstate when we were home and away. Once the series ended i agree but up until that time there is no doubt that Pstate was our number one rival.
SU beat PSU in 1970, 1987, and 1988. That’s it since the end of the sixties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom