Mood has changed... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mood has changed...

\
Where’s that fella that said the game has passed JB by?

no excuses with battle back. top 3 in league single digit losses.

I'm still here. If we don't make a deep run this March I'll still be banging that drum. Anything less than a 25-5 record, a top 3 ACC finish and a S16 make this season a failure, IMO.

Boeheim's not saving anything, per se, but I bet there's not a game on the schedule that he cares less about than the conference tournament. I get the sense over the years that he's happy to bring the team back home early and focus on the important games the following week.

The last two times we won the BET we lost in the first round. The team was toast the one season. The other season... well...

I'm still here. If we don't make a deep run this March I'll still be banging that drum. Anything less than a 25-5 record, a top 3 ACC finish and a S16 make this season a failure, IMO.
Not sure exactly what time horizon you're banging the drum about, but I'd say over the past decade or so the evidence is that JB has, if anything, overachieved as a HC. THere's a good argument that our overall talent level has declined since the NC era. Although the 2009-10 through 2012-13 teams had talent, there were plenty of other years when depth and talent were lacking, including at least 3-4 years of roster depletion due to NBA defections, injuries and NCAA sanctions. You could argue that the talented teams were not coaching achievements because they were elite 8 caliber. But it's also a fact that JB got us to a FF in 2016 with a .500 level ACC team. And two years later (this past season), he literally pulled a sweet 16 out of a hat with a bunch of freshmen and a walk-on. Even recruiting, which slipped during the probationary period, has picked up now that a full staff can be devoted. Bazely was a top 10 recruit. He went off the rails, but clearly JB and staff can still recruit and last season was another example of the team competing without elite talent or depth. That's coaching.
Who’s The Best At Coaching In The NCAA Men’s Tournament?

Last edited:
LOL. 23-7 and a top five ACC finish? Well Mr HOF coach then you're a FAILURE bucko!

That 96 season SUCKED. 24-8 and only 4th best record in the league.

“Top 3” is so arbitrary. What if the whole league beats each other and 11-7 gets you 3rd place?

What if it’s a top heavy year and 14-4 only gets you 4th place?

Boeheim's not saving anything, per se, but I bet there's not a game on the schedule that he cares less about than the conference tournament. I get the sense over the years that he's happy to bring the team back home early and focus on the important games the following week.

I hear you. That is probably very real, especially after the fact. On the other hand, JB has always been hyper- competitive, even in the preseason, playing Ping Pong against his kids; any game where someone is keeping score. Just who he is, and part of what made him a HOFer.

Well done. I'm willing to dial it back because of the loss of Bazely, but 23-7 or 22-8 is probably required now for me.

By the way, I really hate the little character counter in the bottom right corner. Covers up my typing at the worst time.

Well done. I'm willing to dial it back because of the loss of Bazely, but 23-7 or 22-8 is probably required now for me.

By the way, I really hate the little character counter in the bottom right corner. Covers up my typing at the worst time.

If it covers up your typing, then perhaps that's a feature, and not a bug? ;)

As for expectations, I may have the bar lower than some others in here. last year, the goal for me was to make the tournament. We got there (barely)

This year, I want to be safely in the field. So, like top 6 seed or so.

That 96 season SUCKED. 24-8 and only 4th best record in the league.

“Top 3” is so arbitrary. What if the whole league beats each other and 11-7 gets you 3rd place?

What if it’s a top heavy year and 14-4 only gets you 4th place?

Exactly. That's why I hate to set specific record requirements with the conference we're in. That seems like it's just a set up to be critical.

That being said. My expectations are pretty high but I feel like I'll know a successful season if I see it without setting specific record requirements.

You’re going to have a hard time selling that, especially after a Sweet 16 run. JB has proved he’s still a great coach.

UVA Golden Boy Coach Tony Bennett is 550th. 9th worst in the history of the NCAA tournament.

I guess the SU win over UVa in the NCAA tournament a couple of years ago wasn't such a surprise after all...

UVA Golden Boy Coach Tony Bennett is 550th. 9th worst in the history of the NCAA tournament.

I guess the SU win over UVa in the NCAA tournament a couple of years ago wasn't such a surprise after all...

I think this is supposed be a joke, but this has Pete Gillen ranked #26 so clearly not the end all be all.

I think Boeheim cares about”every” game even if they played the local ymca team. Winners want to win. In fact, winners got to win. It’s their genes. It’s their instinct. My instinct is that Boeheim wants every accolade he can get his hands on cause that’s why he works so hard and diligently.

I think Boeheim cares about”every” game even if they played the local ymca team. Winners want to win. In fact, winners got to win. It’s their genes. It’s their instinct. My instinct is that Boeheim wants every accolade he can get his hands on cause that’s why he works so hard and diligently.
I agree that JB wants to win anytime he can.
However, I believe it's for his personal satisfaction and the teams credit and not necessarily any accolades he may get in the bargain.

I agree that JB wants to win anytime he can.
However, I believe it's for his personal satisfaction and the teams credit and not necessarily any accolades he may get in the bargain.

I couldn’t have said it better and I did mean team achievements not personal to him.

personally, i don't give a hoot in hell about conference tournament games. never have. the true conference champ is the one that proves it over the long haul of the regular season; the tourney is a gimmick designed to enrich the school & conference coffers
A gimmick? Has your head been in the sand for the last 30 years? We probably make the to tournament 5 or 6 less times if it wasn’t for conference tournaments.Next to the NCAA tournament, the conference tournaments are the best event in sports. Just ahead of the Super Bowl and Football National Championship game. You people need to wake up.

We probably make the to tournament 5 or 6 less times if it wasn’t for conference tournaments.

I think you're going to have to list years. Other than 2006 I cant think of a single year where we made the tournament by virtue of winning the Conference Tourney or making a run in said Conference Tourney.

I think this is supposed be a joke, but this has Pete Gillen ranked #26 so clearly not the end all be all.

Dixon is bottom 3. Its accurate.

Gillen didn't make the dance enough to rack up losses only went once with PC (elite 8) and once with UVA.

Dixon is bottom 3. Its accurate.

Gillen didn't make the dance enough to rack up losses only went once with PC (elite 8) and once with UVA.

Dude he went seven times with Xavier. His record is 8-9. Bennetts is 10-8.