Mood has changed... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mood has changed...

No coach has more victories as an underdog at the Dance than JB and it isn't even close.

Boeheim wins the games he shouldn’t
Wins above expected in the NCAA tournament (based on pregame Elo probabilities) for NCAA men’s basketball coaches, 1985-2018. The NCAA tourney’s most impressive modern coach
Who’s The Best At Coaching In The NCAA Men’s Tournament?

My goodness, is there any "statistic" in sports that someone or some computer doesn't keep track of? It can be mind boggling at times. That analysis is very interesting to say the least. A lot of people can break down numbers in so many different ways and have them come out in a way that suits their individual needs. This one certainly makes us Orange fans feel pretty good. Having a memorable season this year will make us feel even better :)

LOL. 23-7 and a top five ACC finish? Well Mr HOF coach then you're a FAILURE bucko!
Read the Five thirty eight link that was posted.
I think this is supposed be a joke, but this has Pete Gillen ranked #26 so clearly not the end all be all.
Why don’t you try looking closely at the numbers and how they were derived instead of instantly trying to poke holes? So negative.

Read the Five thirty eight link that was posted.

Why don’t you try looking closely at the numbers and how they were derived instead of instantly trying to poke holes? So negative.

I’m not trying to poke holes. Given the number of tournament games JB has coached in that wins above expected number is extremely impressive.

this stuff overlooks one thing. winning against seed is not an even game.

a 2 seed plays often a 15 and then a 7.
a 4 seed plays a 13 and then a 5. the difference between a 13 and 15 and 5 and 7 is far greater than thn 2 the 2 seed lines

The power of a hypothesis is determined by its predictive value.
"Houston’s Kelvin Sampson, Virginia’s Tony Bennett and Cincinnati’s Mick Cronin all rank in the bottom 20 since 1985, and all three were bounced from this year’s tournament in disappointing fashion."
Out of 560 coaches no one is a better tournament coach than JB.

The formula takes relative win probability into consideration based on each teams strength at the end of the season. a big upset is weighted higher than a small one.

A gimmick? Has your head been in the sand for the last 30 years? We probably make the to tournament 5 or 6 less times if it wasn’t for conference tournaments.Next to the NCAA tournament, the conference tournaments are the best event in sports. Just ahead of the Super Bowl and Football National Championship game. You people need to wake up.
495e5ca6-27c1-4f8e-aebc-3c610861c017.jpg

Dude he went seven times with Xavier. His record is 8-9. Bennetts is 10-8.

Yeah and this list doesn't punish mid majors for losing. I don't know what league X was in during the 80s when he and they were very good but they must have been like Gonzaga during that time. (Maybe a bad example since Gonzaga has recently received a friggen 1 seed despite playing in an atrocious league.) He wasn't a bad coach until he left PC just saying he didn't make it often at UVA and he was there for a while.

Bennett has made it out of the first weekend twice once with the loaded Derek Low
Robbie Cowgill team his Daddy left him and the year they lost to us.

Yeah and this list doesn't punish mid majors for losing. I don't know what league X was in during the 80s when he and they were very good but they must have been like Gonzaga during that time. (Maybe a bad example since Gonzaga has recently received a friggen 1 seed despite playing in an atrocious league.) He wasn't a bad coach until he left PC just saying he didn't make it often at UVA and he was there for a while.

Bennett has made it out of the first weekend twice once with the loaded Derek Low
Robbie Cowgill team his Daddy left him and the year they lost to us.

I honestly have no idea what this means. Given the fact that you didn't bother to take the ten seconds to fact check your first response I don't know if I should bother.

The problem with this ranking is that it is extremely dependent on small sample sizes. Obviously that takes noting away from JB because of how many tournament games hes coached in, but apparently Bob Wade is three hundred spots better than Bennett in winning tournament games (to use another example). I s18 games enough data points to get the book on him? I don't know.

The fact that no one with small data points was able to randomly beat JB, while JB has lots of data points, is what is most impressive. I always thought of JB as Mr. November but his tournament achievement goes beyond that. He deserves another NC. It would solidify his reputation among the skeptics that think he was lucky to win one.

I think you're going to have to list years. Other than 2006 I cant think of a single year where we made the tournament by virtue of winning the Conference Tourney or making a run in said Conference Tourney.
Plus, there was that year we won the conference tournament, and still didn't make the NCAA's--1981.