More Big East Theater | Syracusefan.com

More Big East Theater

Faegan

All Conference
As the World Turns

"It was a good conversation and we have some excellent paths to pursue," UConn president Susan Herbst told ESPN.com in an email Friday. "While the ever-changing landscape produces anxiety across the nation, and it's certainly reflected in my in box, I am not concerned about UConn. We are extraordinarily strong on so many dimensions and this is what will serve us well now and into the future. So while we are in deep discussions, we are focused on the fundamentals -- student-athlete academic success, compliance, fund raising, cost containment and winning."
Herbst said there is still time for the Big East to explore all its options. And while Herbst won't say the Huskies are publicly going after the ACC, a number of sources have told ESPN.com that UConn desperately wants to be in the ACC as the 15th or 16th member. But sources said the ACC hasn't decided if it wants to add two more to get to 16. If it does, then it would rather wait to see what Notre Dame would do first before deciding on UConn and/or Rutgers.
The Big East has a 27-month hold on Syracuse and Pitt based on the bylaws, but that could be negotiated down to avoid more than two lame-duck seasons.
"Syracuse and Pitt are with us for a while, and schedules are set across sports," Herbst said. "I understand the worry and the concern, believe me. But we'll act rationally and look at empirical data always. I ask people to give it all some time. We will continue to compete exceedingly well and at the same time, look to the longer term with appropriate thoughtfulness, as best we can."
Meanwhile, a source said the Big East did adjust its sport committee assignments that were made up in the summer in baseball, softball, golf, track and other sports, as staff from Syracuse and Pitt were removed and replaced with other members of the Big East.

Meanwhile, a source said the Big East did adjust its sport committee assignments that were made up in the summer in baseball, softball, golf, track and other sports, as staff from Syracuse and Pitt were removed and replaced with other members of the Big East.
That's fine... meanwhile, Syracuse (and if not SU, hopefully Pitt) will win the corresponding titles.
The more titles that Syracuse and Pitt win while in purgatory the better.

sounds like the big east was expecting syracuse/pitt to bolt months before it happened
I think you may have mis-interpreted that statement. The way I read it, the original committees were chosen in the summer. After Syracuse and Pitt announced they were leaving, their representatives were removed from those committees.

Even though the conference wants SU & Pitt to stick around as long as needed/possible, they won't have any meaningful influence during that time. The true definition of "lame duck".