More Good News | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

More Good News

A couple of "What Ifs" to ponder:

- What if it's ESPN and the ACC behind it?
- What if this game is utilized to kick off the the start of the ACC season?

We're talking about a matchup between the top two all time winningest coaches in NCAA history. This should be a one time event to celebrate our inclusion into the ACC.

that's where i was going with it. maybe should have made it the Barclays

If we were guaranteed 2 straight years of home-and-home games with Duke I would be into 1 at the Dome, 1 at Cameron and 2 at MSG with tickets sales split down the middle. Honestly I think that we should do that with UConn every year (or for at least as long as they're relevant, so I guess for next year and 2014-15).

I don't think it would make us look like a second rate program at all. It would probably be the biggest event to hit Central New York. It would showcase ESPN and have the two winningest coaches in NCAA history playing their first conference game against each other with likely two top 10 teams.

If I watched another school involved in that spectacle, I would be jealous as hell that we weren't involved. Wouldn't you be if you were watching Gameday on a cold saturday in January or February and two other lesser schools were hyped as much as this game would be? I'd be pissed off all day after our nooner against Wake or BC.

Duke is worthy. They're the best program in college basketball in the past 30 years. JB and K are friends who respect the hell out of each other. They're two absolutely legendary figures in the game who are nearing retirement. And we can never be a second rate program because no one else in the country could pull it off.

55,000 screaming fans. A sea of Orange. For a one off event it would be amazing.

i am all for doing it once, but not for a conference opponent.

plus i think they said the most we would be able to get would be around 40k. with 5 - 8k seats i just don't think it's worth it.

i am all for doing it once, but not for a conference opponent.

plus i think they said the most we would be able to get would be around 40k. with 5 - 8k seats i just don't think it's worth it.

I thought I read Cantor when we announced the ACC said 60,000.

I get what you're saying with not wanting a conference opponent, but JB and K wont be around forever, and I think that would add to the national interest. You throw in the ESPN hype machine (they would be pumping it up for weeks with the attendance factor) and it would just be special. As long as it's a one time thing.

More casual fans, or fans who watch every game at home or at local bars because season tickets are a privilege to few..
I don't believe Syracuse University has ever sold out its season basketball tickets . Therefore they are not just for the privileged few. Being able to afford season tickets to sports teams is usually the result of hard work not privilege

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

If season ticket holders with good seats and all season ticket holders for that matter are going to get taken care with nice seats who cares. Obviously, SU is coordinating this early enough where people who have invested in the program over the years won't get terrible seats.
If the seating configuration is changed obviously more temporary seats have to be added around the court. You have to realize the season ticket holders will get taken care of and as a result this will allow more visible seats for more fans and create an UNPRECEDENTED atmosphere at the Dome which will make recruiting even easier. I like this move if we do it.

you can't get that many students to show up

I wouldn't be to sure about that, I mean it's DUKE, and if they do it on a college game day prime time game, students will be camped out forever waiting to get tickets.

The story line would get the students in there.

Don't do anything different for Duke. It would mean SU values Duke more so than every other ACC school, which isn't true and not a good message to send. Plus, it's almost like a beginning of game court storming throwing extra people out there. SU is too good for that. 32000+ is all we need to down the Dukies. I hope this is just another dumb untrue rumor.

I think they should play it in Manley and only allow the "real" season ticket holder fans to come. Because its not a money making business, it really a reward to loyal season ticket holders ;)

It's a business. If they think they can improve the brand, sell more tickets, create a spectacle, without damaging relationships w the regular customers, they will.

Wow, we got some real visionaries here.

My favorite preposterous argument so far is that it would make us look small time to do this and like we are just so happy Duke is in town that we are trying to get extra people at the game or doing something different. That's awesome. We "should act like we've been there before" and boycott the game completely! Let them play it out in front of a completely empty Carrier Dome. I'm still debating if Boeheim should show up, but I am leaning no.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, because I'm not about to read all these posts, but why not keep the court oriented the same way and just move it 10-20 yards closer to midfield?

This would probably open up another few thousand seats and shouldn't p*ss off any season ticket holders. Or will they still b*tch about such a change?

It's a business. If they think they can improve the brand, sell more tickets, create a spectacle, without damaging relationships w the regular customers, they will.

well then wouldn't they be contradicting themselves???

By moving the court to the 50 yard line, they are creating 30,000 "long range view" seats. Seats that nobody will be happy with.

I'd like to think that SU's first priority would be to keep the regular customers happy and not to create a spectacle just for the sake of $$$.

If they can figure out a way to jam almost 50,000 in the Dome without hurting my viewing experience ... I'll believe it when I see it.

By moving the court to the 50 yard line, they are creating 30,000 "long range view" seats. Seats that nobody will be happy with.

I'd like to think that SU's first priority would be to keep the regular customers happy and not to create a spectacle just for the sake of $$$.

If they can figure out a way to jam almost 50,000 in the Dome without hurting my viewing experience ... I'll believe it when I see it.

i think it's obvious that the season ticket holders how are there for the Alcorn St and C. Conn St games as well as the Duke and UNC's game are firmly against this while all the out of towners, or others who don't go to the games are all for it...which is understandable i guess. but we have already had the best football games sold away to NYC for the foreseeable future, now you want to obstruct the view to loyal ticket season holders for the biggest basketball game? it's totally unnecessary.

The University will balance how much season ticket holders will be upset can the upside of creating the spectacle. They know the regulars will be back and will get over it. What they will think about is if this helps or hurts other donations.

If I had season tickets I wouldn't like it but I can understand from the business why you would consider it.

I wonder if its possible to turn it but keep closer to the end zone. More room for spike lee seats and you could probably get closer to 37 or 38,000. You might need to raise the court but do this on a permanent basis. 3000 extra tickets sold per game at say $40 is $120,000 which could easily translate to well over a million for the season especially if more spike lee seats are added. TGD is smart to hit while the iron is hot and right now its smoking.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

How about experimenting by putting the court at midfield for an exhibition NBA game? By no means would it be expected to fill the place with 50,000, but Dome management would learn a lot about the logistics involved, sight lines, fan feedback, etc.
Agree, the Duke dome game is not the time to get too creative. Just win. LGO!

The only time (or at least the 1st time) they should ever consider putting the court in the middle of the dome is for Boeheims last game. Period. No school should not be dignified as a reason for such a huge event. It is "The House that Boeheim Built" and that should be the day we put 49,000 in the seats :)

I wonder if its possible to turn it but keep closer to the end zone. More room for spike lee seats and you could probably get closer to 37 or 38,000. You might need to raise the court but do this on a permanent basis. 3000 extra tickets sold per game at say $40 is $120,000 which could easily translate to well over a million for the season especially if more spike lee seats are added. TGD is smart to hit while the iron is hot and right now its smoking.

Something like this:

Dome4.png

I don't think it would make us look like a second rate program at all. It would probably be the biggest event to hit Central New York. It would showcase ESPN and have the two winningest coaches in NCAA history playing their first conference game against each other with likely two top 10 teams.

If I watched another school involved in that spectacle, I would be jealous as hell that we weren't involved. Wouldn't you be if you were watching Gameday on a cold saturday in January or February and two other lesser schools were hyped as much as this game would be? I'd be pissed off all day after our nooner against Wake or BC.

Duke is worthy. They're the best program in college basketball in the past 30 years. JB and K are friends who respect the hell out of each other. They're two absolutely legendary figures in the game who are nearing retirement. And we can never be a second rate program because no one else in the country could pull it off.

55,000 screaming fans. A sea of Orange. For a one off event it would be amazing.

Why isn't Duke contemplating the same type of move when we visit?

Cameron only holds 2000.

Over 9,000 actually but who's counting - Duke hasn't given a thought to expanding Cameron or moving to a larger facility even when they playing their biggest rival - UNC every year since forever.

If an SU-Duke matchup is such an epic event then Duke should be considering the facility below I'd think when they play us down there, right? It has more than double the capacity of Cameron. Or are they are too big time to consider it for any opponent. Do we even know if the game against Duke at the dome will even be the first meeting against SU next year?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNC_Arena

Just wondering, are you a season ticket holder?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom