More Good News | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

More Good News

Over 9,000 actually but who's counting - Duke hasn't given a thought to expanding Cameron or moving to a larger facility even when they playing their biggest rival - UNC every year since forever.

If an SU-Duke matchup is such an epic event then Duke should be considering the facility below I'd think when they play us down there, right? It has more than double the capacity of Cameron. Or are they are too big time to consider it for any opponent. Do we even know if the game against Duke at the dome will even be the first meeting against SU next year?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNC_Arena

Just wondering, are you a season ticket holder?
No I'm not. I was kidding about the 2000 part although I was only 7000 off.

Over 9,000 actually but who's counting - Duke hasn't given a thought to expanding Cameron or moving to a larger facility even when they playing their biggest rival - UNC every year since forever.

If an SU-Duke matchup is such an epic event then Duke should be considering the facility below I'd think when they play us down there, right? It has more than double the capacity of Cameron. Or are they are too big time to consider it for any opponent. Do we even know if the game against Duke at the dome will even be the first meeting against SU next year?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNC_Arena

Just wondering, are you a season ticket holder?

What if part of the reason we get both Duke and UNC at home is because we've made an agreement with the ACC and ESPN to capitalize on the Duke matchup and turn it into a large spectacle? If we were only getting Duke, that would be one thing. BUT, we're getting UNC as well. At least you can admit it's better to be complaining about this than having to shell out money to see SMU, Houston and Tulane.

I don't believe Syracuse University has ever sold out its season basketball tickets . Therefore they are not just for the privileged few. Being able to afford season tickets to sports teams is usually the result of hard work not privilege

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Season tickets cost money.

Do you live in Syracuse NY? Do you think every loyal Syracuse fan has the extra money to spend on season tickets?

I'm just gonna throw my 2 cents out there. If you're a season ticket hold, GREAT. Thank you for helping the program and giving that money to SU, rather than something else.

However it does not make you a more loyal fan than the average joe whose seen every Syracuse game in the past 20 to 30 years but has never had enough money to go to more than one.

I know many, MANY people...enough to fill whole sections..that regularly attend bars around the Cuse and my hometown FM to cheer on the Orange. However due to economic hardships, taxes, and large families or other circumstances...these people can not afford season tickets.

There is not a doubt in my mind that the Dome could seat 50,000 DEDICATED Syracuse fans. If theres 5,000 or so fair weather fans? who gives a . Theres thousands at every game, rich people from FM, JD etc. who buy tickets whenever there little kids start succeeding with Carmelo Anthony in NBA 2k on there fancy game systems on the big screen.

Why isn't Duke contemplating the same type of move when we visit?

Look, if you think it is below you to get excited for this game, then burn your ticket. That will show Duke and the ACC just what an impressive fanbase Syracuse has and how bigtime the program is. Or at the very least, I guess you'll still have that warm, superior feeling inside. Geesh.

This game is not about asserting ourselves as a dominant program ...

...or anything else other than making money, and putting on a show for the recruits.

Hopefully getting a W of course as well.

I'm betting most of the people pushing to move it don't live in Syracuse and don't buy seasons tickets.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Look, if you think it is below you to get excited for this game, then burn your ticket. That will show Duke and the ACC just what an impressive fanbase Syracuse has and how bigtime the program is. Or at the very least, I guess you'll still have that warm, superior feeling inside. Geesh.

Somehow being able to get 50,000 people to come watch a basketball game on campus makes us "small time" to some of these people :noidea:

I'm betting most of the people pushing to move it don't live in Syracuse and don't buy seasons tickets.

I'm betting those who are against the move don't realize SU won't alienate those people without giving them really good seats. Temporary seats will be installed those seats surrounding the court and SU should and I hope will likely give those seats to season ticket holders. I would bet if this happens the people who are season ticket holders and students will be SU's top priority, but the ability to sell more tickets to locals/bandwagoners would increase.
How many SU season ticket holders do we have? 15-19k? Those good seats would go to them.

If you need gimmicks to attend and get excited for SU basketball even against awesome opponents -and if not needing it to get excited and attend home games makes me a superior being in your book - okay, I'll humbly accept your judgement. I have to get off now and brag to my husband that someone even in Texas has recognized my superiority. :rolleyes:

I'm betting those who are against the move don't realize SU won't alienate those people without giving them really good seats. Temporary seats will be installed those seats surrounding the court and SU should and I hope will likely give those seats to season ticket holders. I would bet if this happens the people who are season ticket holders and students will be SU's top priority, but the ability to sell more tickets to locals/bandwagoners would increase.
How many SU season ticket holders do we have? 15-19k? Those good seats would go to them.

i'd love to see how that works out. way too much work. it will ultimately be the reason they decide against it imo

If you need gimmicks to attend and get excited for SU basketball even against awesome opponents -and if not needing it to get excited and attend home games makes me a superior being in your book - okay, I'll humbly accept your judgement. I have to get off now and brag to my husband that someone even in Texas has recognized my superiority. :rolleyes:

There is clearly no need for a gimmick for this game. It's easily going to sell out if they keep the court the way it is imo. It's about going above and beyond that and doing something that literally no other university can do.

i'd love to see how that works out. way too much work. it will ultimately be the reason they decide against it imo
If the Court is the middle of the football stadium do you not believe there will be enough good seats to support the season ticket holders? If SU has 20k season ticket holders which I don't believe we do, but if we did the SU AD office would obviously have an engineer or somebody who is designing the seating arrangement design a plan that puts the 20k season ticket holders in the best seats of their design. The rest of 15 to 25k that wanted to be at the game would take the seats around that. SU AD's office would not do something if they think it would hurt their golden goose,

Wont even come close to being enough good seats to accommodate those who have good seats and donate money to have those good seats.

If the Court is the middle of the football stadium do you not believe there will be enough good seats to support the season ticket holders? If SU has 20k season ticket holders which I don't believe we do, but if we did the SU AD office would obviously have an engineer or somebody who is designing the seating arrangement design a plan that puts the 20k season ticket holders in the best seats of their design. The rest of 15 to 25k that wanted to be at the game would take the seats around that. SU AD's office would not do something if they think it would hurt their golden goose,

There wouldn't be 20k good seats.

Season ticket holders, would you oppose this idea if you were given free tickets to this game or is the opportunity cost also part of the concern? (ie you may have not lost money on the less desirable seat, but it is still less desirable and as such the experience of the Duke game is diminished).

And of course, no I am not a current season ticket holder. When I was, the seats were in 313 and I would still be in favor of this one-time thing even if my seats stayed there for the event game (which of course they wouldn't). The arguments against this are the very same arguments to have never left Manley or never install indoor plumbing in homes, or move from huts to walled structures, etc. In the end, I have to watch all games on TV anyway, so I get why you don't want to hear it from me, but it seems there would be a generally positive effect for the program and the school if this was done for a huge game (even if just once).

You're going to surround the court with enough temporary seats to hold 19,000 people?

FWIW - the rollout section of bleachers (Sec 122-125) seats approx 3,000.

Build or rent 1 more just like it and 2 smaller ones for the ends of the courts, and you can accomodate maybe 9,000 fans around the court, and you'll block the view from all the suites and the rest of the 200 level.

That's assuming that you keep these sections only 30 rows high. Any higher, and you'll start to lose seats on the 300 level.

Geez, let's just never do something exciting, different or innovative ever. We're Syracuse, dammit! Our fans need to get a life. Just like our football coaches rarely run an offense tailored to the Dome's controlled conditions, let's absolutely disregard all possibilities for using the facility to make the Dome an on-campus spectacle for our basketball team that more of the community can enjoy in an extremely rare on campus setting.

bustedtees.d31452d1-dca2-452b-b2a9-c1b65798.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^SARCASM DIRECTED TOWARDS ALL THE CRANKY DINOSAURS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am sure the AD won't (and shouldn't) do it if the season ticket holders won't get good seats, but people have to trust that SU won't do this unless the people who donate to the University and season ticket holders aren't taken care of. SU won't bite the hand that feeds them for an extra 10k in cheap seats. People are anticipating this can't be done I don't believe that and as a result I like the move.
Question to ponder? How many season ticket holders do we have?
How many temporary seats would SU create to surround the court?
How good would the seats be in the upper deck between the 45 yard lines on each side?
Before we freak out and say this can't be done I would hope SU will do its due diligence.

God forbid your pristine vision of the game is obstructed by a backboard over 200 ft away.

I know, the agony.

Could be worse
l.jpg

You're going to surround the court with enough temporary seats to hold 19,000 people?

FWIW - the rollout section of bleachers (Sec 122-125) seats approx 3,000.

Build or rent 1 more just like it and 2 smaller ones for the ends of the courts, and you can accomodate maybe 9,000 fans around the court, and you'll block the view from all the suites and the rest of the 200 level.

That's assuming that you keep these sections only 30 rows high. Any higher, and you'll start to lose seats on the 300 level.
I never said all 19k would be more in the rollout bleacher just more than they seat right now. I don't know how an engineer would design it, but have some faith in Gross if he decides to do this.

Season ticket holders, would you oppose this idea if you were given free tickets to this game or is the opportunity cost also part of the concern? (ie you may have not lost money on the less desirable seat, but it is still less desirable and as such the experience of the Duke game is diminished).

I've been waiting over 30 years for the opportunity to watch SU play Duke in the Dome.

You don't mind if I'm actually able to see the game, do ya?

Preferably without binoculars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom