more howard please | Syracusefan.com

more howard please

Learning experience for Lydon & Richardson to play in these games; an opportunity for Coleman to show something.

But sure looks like Howard should be in the rotation, every time out.

Moe-Howard-three-stooges-23436760-444-516.jpg

did you say moe howard ?

Howard made a big difference in opening up our offense in the second half. He's gotta make some shots, but his penetration and passing was a real spark to the team and offense. If he sat frozen on the bench I bet we would have lost by 15 at least.

Howard needs 20 minutes a game. Take it away from Mali and Cooney.
At least give Cooney a break and see if the rest can improve his shooting. Mali and Cooney were taking shots that should have gone to G and Lydon, and Lydon is still passing up some decent opportunities unless he's left wide open, which is rare. And if Howard's going to play significant minutes, bigs need to be aware he'll pass at any time and be ready to receive.-VBOF

Howard needs 20 minutes a game. Take it away from Mali and Cooney.

Depends on the game. I don't think we should give him minutes just because we are cold outside I think we should consider if we aren't getting good looks though.

I think he jumped over Joseph as a pg today, but Joseph is the better shooter. He understands the eurostep.

VaBeachOrFan said:
At least give Cooney a break and see if the rest can improve his shooting. Mali and Cooney were taking shots that should have gone to G and Lydon, and Lydon is still passing up some decent opportunities unless he's left wide open, which is rare. And if Howard's going to play significant minutes, bigs need to be aware he'll pass at any time and be ready to receive.-VBOF

I agree that Lydon needs to be more aggressive with his shots. Passed up multiple corner 3s because unlike in Atlantis there happened to be a defender within 6 feet of him

Kaleb shouldn't sniff the court for the rest of the year

Its a bummer to see a kid struggle so much but hes just not going to make it at this level im afraid. Howards ability to defend and play the point is a huge asset. If given more time earlier in the game maybe the hole is smaller coming out in the 2nd half.

orangefan13 said:
Depends on the game. I don't think we should give him minutes just because we are cold inside I think we should consider if we aren't getting good looks though.

He changed the tempo of the game and penetrated and looked for his shot or for an open teammate. Totally changed the game. In my opinion. Needs more time

tbonezone said:
yet kaleb was our best player last loss ...

Howard is the PG next year.

Joseph is the backup.

Battle plays the 2.

tbonezone said:

If you could take Chino's game and translate it to guard, you would have Kaleb

I agree that Lydon needs to be more aggressive with his shots. Passed up multiple corner 3s because unlike in Atlantis there happened to be a defender within 6 feet of him

Early on in the season Lydon missed real bad on the corner three every one. Everywhere else hes ok, but the corners hes missed badly from. Even 3-4 steps away from the corner hes been good.

Only thing is guys were not trying to take charges on Howards drives today, that will change when people play him more seriously. I do agree though need to get him more run some games we won't need a true point but a game like today we could have.

Richardson and Lydon catching back up from the perimeter will fix the lack of need for a true pg.

Howard is the PG next year.

Joseph is the backup.

Battle plays the 2.
I honestly think you could make a case that both Tyus and Frank could play either position and still be fine. I'd love to see them both at the top of the zone next season, but don't discount Mali as the starting 2g next year. My guess for next years team breakdown would be:

PG: Tyus
SG: Mali
SF: Lydon
PF: Roberson
C: Chakwu

The length there is insane then off the bench I think we'll see some combo of:
6th:Frank
7th: DC
8th: Moyer
9th Class of '16 recruit, best guess is Taurean Thompson who is listed at 6'9 220 and ranked in the top 100.
10th Chino

Of course there are a lot of things that could change between now and we don't know anyone's intentions, but I just don't think Kaleb stays here as much as I want him to succeed. This team would be top 5 in the nation and has a fantastic mix of experience, playmakers, size and shooters. I've said it before and I'll say it again. We will win it all next year mark it down!!!!

Yeah, I don't think we need to praise Howard by bashing Joseph. Howard played well and our offense ran more smoothly with him in the game.

Joseph played one or two minutes and was invisible. We'll see what he does with some extended minutes. For the time being, I'm happy to see Howard on the floor.

well i'm with you. i feel we need to slash cooney/g's excessive minutes and trickle down some love to howard and kj.

Depends on the game. I don't think we should give him minutes just because we are cold outside I think we should consider if we aren't getting good looks though.

I think he jumped over Joseph as a pg today, but Joseph is the better shooter. He understands the eurostep.

From the little I've seen from Howard (limited playing time) it's no comparison who should be at the point after G. Howard has good size, a seemingly half way decent handle, and, the ability to drive, create & get the the hole. Joseph hasn't shown me in any capacity the ability to create, drive and draw defenders to him. He just dribbles side to side, wax on, wax off. Even if he indeed is a better shooter (haven't seen enough of either to draw that conclusion for myself) it isn't what the team needs as we have other shooters. Additionally, Howard (with his seemingly ability to drive & create) may compliment our shooters that much more as defenders will have to collapse on Howard, where he can kick it out our open guys. He also seemed to play pretty good D, clearly longer on top than KJ. To me, it's still not apparent where KJ fits in on this team this year, disappointing for sure.

SWFLCUSE said:
I honestly think you could make a case that both Tyus and Frank could play either position and still be fine. I'd love to see them both at the top of the zone next season, but don't discount Mali as the starting 2g next year. My guess for next years team breakdown would be: PG: Tyus SG: Mali SF: Lydon PF: Roberson C: Chakwu The length there is insane then off the bench I think we'll see some combo of: 6th:Frank 7th: DC 8th: Moyer 9th Class of '16 recruit, best guess is Taurean Thompson who is listed at 6'9 220 and ranked in the top 100. 10th Chino Of course there are a lot of things that could change between now and we don't know anyone's intentions, but I just don't think Kaleb stays here as much as I want him to succeed. This team would be top 5 in the nation and has a fantastic mix of experience, playmakers, size and shooters. I've said it before and I'll say it again. We will win it all next year mark it down!!!!

Is Joseph transferring?
You don't have him in your lineup.

I'd hate to think that SU doesn't field a roster of 11 guys next year.

He played well today, I like him a lot coming off the bench running the point.

well i'm with you. i feel we need to slash cooney/g's excessive minutes and trickle down some love to howard and kj.

As a 32-minute off-guard (who's not allowed to touch the ball and get to the free throw line late in close games), Gbinije could be excellent.

As a 39-minute point guard/wing, I think Gbinije is stretched a little thin and our offense suffers.

Sit him for rest and to help him regain his focus now and again. My bet is that he'd thrive.

Yeah, I don't think we need to praise Howard by bashing Joseph. Howard played well and our offense ran more smoothly with him in the game.

Joseph played one or two minutes and was invisible. We'll see what he does with some extended minutes. For the time being, I'm happy to see Howard on the floor.

I agree. But you said it best, when KJ comes in, all too often he seems invisible. He doesn't create, penetrate or make anyone else better on the floor. The little bit I've seen of Howard, he does, or at least appears to have that ability/impact to do so.

I agree. But you said it best, when KJ comes in, all too often he seems invisible. He doesn't create, penetrate or make anyone else better on the floor. The little bit I've seen of Howard, he does, or at least seems he can if he played even more.

Yeah, I like Joseph and still want to see more consistent time before saying this definitively, but Howard played better today than Joseph has this year (not counting exhibitions, of course). More purposeful on offense. Also, no fault of his, but Joseph's size is going to hurt him on a zone team.

For the record, I think they're easing Joseph out. Disappointing; seems like a very nice kid, more relatable than many college basketball players, great guy to have on the team.

OttoMets said:
Yeah, I like Joseph and still want to see more consistent time before saying this definitively, but Howard played better today than Joseph has this year (not counting exhibitions, of course). More purposeful on offense. Also, no fault of his, but Joseph's size is going to hurt him on a zone team. For the record, I think they're easing Joseph out. Disappointing; seems like a very nice kid, more relatable than many college basketball players, great guy to have on the team.

Does he accept his role?

And if not, does SU have someone in mind to fill his spot if he transfers?

It's not like we have 13 scholarships.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom