More making friends and great writing. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

More making friends and great writing.

right because we all know american upper managements run for the money had zero to do with anything-blame the working stiffs

and what about all the caner causing chemicals used in your perfect hydrofracking world?

and i like how you left out the part about the gas being fracked sent overseas-

- managements are certainly incentivized to deliver profits to shareholders and that is why they went to cheaper locales outside of the US, that was hurried along by many unions who couldn't see the writing on the wall and the losers were their members. Now they are incentivized to bring production home because it is cheaper and safer to build here if you are in an energy intensive industry.

- there is now a fracking fluid made with common food ingredients. again the odds of contamination given that the fluid is a mile below the aquifer is incredibly low...but in the .01% outlier occurrence where something goes wrong, worst case is you have some food additives in the drinking water and the company pays a settlement. now not saying that the food industry should be emulated, but surely fda approved food ingredients are not anyting to get worked up about. prior fracking fluids did have some ingredients that were not too nice, although in low concentrations. regulation requiring the new fluid be used solves your problem.

- they have one export plant approved that will be operational by 2015, there will likely be a few more approved and will be able to export roughly 20% of our overall output per year. Given that excess supply pushed natural gas prices to a level where drilling literally stopped, you need some outlet for that supply. If demand exceeded supply in the US they wouldn't export. Prices are a fraction of what they are in europe or in asia - that won't change if we export a little. Also are you against the saudi's exporting their oil or do you think they should keep it all for themselves and let the world suffer? do you know what saudi citizens pay for gasoline?? look it up and that is all the information you need to know about exporting of fracked gas.

there are 200 years worth of energy independence underneath your feet. ignoring that is like shooting yourself in the foot instead. the other states are going to benefit and in fact already are - the factories will locate where there is existing industrial infrastrucutre (rust belt) and where there is gas (ohio and PA)...NY is being shortsighted here. again said as a democrat and environmentalist.

um we produce more than enough oil- the arab oil is crap compared to american sweet crude and its sold overseas because of a corrupt system

its a scam to make the most and screw the most at the same time

What the heck is Carlson talking about? Did I jump back in time and its suddenly 1965? Salt Mining and the Erie Canal havent been a part of this area for over half a freekin century, even more for the Canal. Christ if your going to mention economic issues at least bring up something in the last 30 years Allied Chemical, Carrier, NPG etc. Blaming the current economic issues on the Erie Canal and Salt mining is like blaming the closure of Fairmount fair mall as a devestating economic aspect.
Salt was never mined in Syracuse. Brine was pumped from below the surface or just collected from salt springs, then the water was boiled off or evaporated by the sun to leave the salt.

These kids really need a good editor. Did the experienced editors ll get canned too?

The sad thing to me is that none of these writers appear to know anything about football. The void left by the loss of Dave Rahme is going to be huge. There is going to be no meaningful analysis of strategy this season. and because the kids are who they are, there is going to be no special access granted, so a lot of what is going on will go unreported.

What a loss for SU football fans.

Hope the kids grow up soon. They do have potential.

Every Cohen article reads like the opening few lines of an especially bad romance novel.

I think you're forgetting...

Cotton.jpg

...and...

220px-Nicotiana_Tobacco_Plants_1909px.jpg

:)

All profitable. But the real boom for the south didn't come about until air conditioning became practical and inexpensive.

Salt was never mined in Syracuse. Brine was pumped from below the surface or just collected from salt springs, then the water was boiled off or evaporated by the sun to leave the salt.

These kids really need a good editor. Did the experienced editors ll get canned too?

The sad thing to me is that none of these writers appear to know anything about football. The void left by the loss of Dave Rahme is going to be huge. There is going to be no meaningful analysis of strategy this season. and because the kids are who they are, there is going to be no special access granted, so a lot of what is going on will go unreported.

The editors are the ones driving this. there is no doubt about that.

Well, in defense of Mink, most of the questions he gets asked probably centers around the starting QB situation. I think he's just saying "sorry, I'm not going to be able to get that answer for you any time soon."

Well, he's a bit of a moron about it. Of course Shafer is going to keep his QB choice secret until game time at the Meadowlands. Duh. Takes a former Penn State beat writer to be that dumb.

The editors are the ones driving this. there is no doubt about that.

No, editors don't tell people what to write, they cut stuff down to make it fit in available column length and they write the headline.

What the heck is Carlson talking about? Did I jump back in time and its suddenly 1965? Salt Mining and the Erie Canal havent been a part of this area for over half a freekin century, even more for the Canal. Christ if your going to mention economic issues at least bring up something in the last 30 years Allied Chemical, Carrier, NPG etc. Blaming the current economic issues on the Erie Canal and Salt mining is like blaming the closure of Fairmount fair mall as a devestating economic aspect.

Well, if we want to be accurate, we didn't ever MINE salt here. They heated and dried brine into salt in wooden beds over in Liverpool. There is no underground place where people used to go to dig it out.

I think the kids at Newhouse are probably going to do a better job at the Daily Orange this year.

When this place closed, the glory days were officially over.
13050726424dc9d4025d3e9.jpg

Great stuff!

For me it was when "Martin's Chicken in the Rough" went down.

Or when they closed Caroma's!

Oh the humanity!

Well, he's a bit of a moron about it. Of course Shafer is going to keep his QB choice secret until game time at the Meadowlands. Duh. Takes a former Penn State beat writer to be that dumb.

Has O'Brien announced a QB starter??

All profitable. But the real boom for the south didn't come about until air conditioning became practical and inexpensive.

Very true. A/C contributed to the explosion in productivity levels in the South during times it was typically to hot to work indoors.

Very true. A/C contributed to the explosion in productivity levels in the South during times it was typically to hot to work indoors.

And the irony of ironies is the fact that our team plays in a non-air conditioned indoor stadium named after an air conditioning company that no longer has a presence in Syracuse! Carrier my a$$!

And the irony of ironies is the fact that our team plays in a non-air conditioned indoor stadium named after an air conditioning company that no longer has a presence in Syracuse! Carrier my a$$!

Huh, no presence? There are 1400 well paid folks who still work there.

We're not going to bring up the air conditioning of dome again for 2 events per year, are we?

1:

Layoffs by Carrier Corp. Strike Syracuse in Heart
By MICHAEL LUO and LYDIA POLGREEN; Michael Luo reported for this article from New York and Lydia Polgreen from Syracuse. Michelle York also contributed reporting from Syracuse
Published: October 07, 2003

The name of a cooling company has been inseparable from this frost-belt city since the Depression, when city leaders scraped together $250,000 and tax incentives to lure the inventor of the air-conditioner, Willis H. Carrier, and his business from Newark. The deal worked, and the Carrier Corporation became a mainstay of a community whose best-known landmark is the Carrier Dome, the home arena for the Syracuse University Orangemen.
On Monday, the company confirmed rumors that those ties would loosen, announcing that it would close the two manufacturing plants at its East Syracuse site, laying off 1,200 workers and moving those operations to Asia and the South. The company will keep 1,600 jobs here, mainly in research and development, but the decision means that Carrier will no longer make any products in Syracuse, where manufacturing has long been a key part of its identity.
The move cuts deep in a city already buffeted this year by the see-sawing fortunes of a proposal to build the nation's largest mall.

2: 2 events??????

pixel.gif

1:

Layoffs by Carrier Corp. Strike Syracuse in Heart
By MICHAEL LUO and LYDIA POLGREEN; Michael Luo reported for this article from New York and Lydia Polgreen from Syracuse. Michelle York also contributed reporting from Syracuse
Published: October 07, 2003

The name of a cooling company has been inseparable from this frost-belt city since the Depression, when city leaders scraped together $250,000 and tax incentives to lure the inventor of the air-conditioner, Willis H. Carrier, and his business from Newark. The deal worked, and the Carrier Corporation became a mainstay of a community whose best-known landmark is the Carrier Dome, the home arena for the Syracuse University Orangemen.
On Monday, the company confirmed rumors that those ties would loosen, announcing that it would close the two manufacturing plants at its East Syracuse site, laying off 1,200 workers and moving those operations to Asia and the South. The company will keep 1,600 jobs here, mainly in research and development, but the decision means that Carrier will no longer make any products in Syracuse, where manufacturing has long been a key part of its identity.
The move cuts deep in a city already buffeted this year by the see-sawing fortunes of a proposal to build the nation's largest mall.

2: 2 events??????

pixel.gif

Thanks for history lesson, not sure of the point, but I'm well aware.

Yes, 2 football games in September. You don't typically need a/c in october. The expense to maintain a system of that size would be crippling and an unnecessary expense given the amount time it would be used.

- managements are certainly incentivized to deliver profits to shareholders and that is why they went to cheaper locales outside of the US, that was hurried along by many unions who couldn't see the writing on the wall and the losers were their members. Now they are incentivized to bring production home because it is cheaper and safer to build here if you are in an energy intensive industry.

- there is now a fracking fluid made with common food ingredients. again the odds of contamination given that the fluid is a mile below the aquifer is incredibly low...but in the .01% outlier occurrence where something goes wrong, worst case is you have some food additives in the drinking water and the company pays a settlement. now not saying that the food industry should be emulated, but surely fda approved food ingredients are not anyting to get worked up about. prior fracking fluids did have some ingredients that were not too nice, although in low concentrations. regulation requiring the new fluid be used solves your problem.

- they have one export plant approved that will be operational by 2015, there will likely be a few more approved and will be able to export roughly 20% of our overall output per year. Given that excess supply pushed natural gas prices to a level where drilling literally stopped, you need some outlet for that supply. If demand exceeded supply in the US they wouldn't export. Prices are a fraction of what they are in europe or in asia - that won't change if we export a little. Also are you against the saudi's exporting their oil or do you think they should keep it all for themselves and let the world suffer? do you know what saudi citizens pay for gasoline?? look it up and that is all the information you need to know about exporting of fracked gas.

there are 200 years worth of energy independence underneath your feet. ignoring that is like shooting yourself in the foot instead. the other states are going to benefit and in fact already are - the factories will locate where there is existing industrial infrastrucutre (rust belt) and where there is gas (ohio and PA)...NY is being shortsighted here. again said as a democrat and environmentalist.

You're not even close to the reasons globalization has been a killer for us. Energy costs are nearly insignificant compared to labor costs. while you are right to point at outsourcing, you miss the boat as to why. I own a manufacturing business and nearly 50% of my operating costs is slated for labor. I could lower my total costs by 40% by using Chinese labor rates. Now...I wonder why I can't compete....? Energy costs? Not really on my radar.

Great stuff!

For me it was when "Martin's Chicken in the Rough" went down.

Or when they closed Caroma's!

Oh the humanity!

Somebody missed Martin's Chicken on the Rough?
http://www.restaurantwarecollectors.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=Martins

I think it's now Nestico's, the bets restaurant in north Syracuse, although the ad says it was at 800 North Main Street and Nestico's is at 412. I looked up 800 on Google Maps and I'm sure that's not where it was. They must have renumbered the street.