More making friends and great writing. | Syracusefan.com

More making friends and great writing.

GoSU96

Living Legend
From Carlson in his feature on Shafer:

"Syracuse is a city whose economic glory days are in the rear-view mirror, a city that has seen its peak reduced by the erosion of the salt mining industry, the collapse of trade through the Erie Canal and, lastly, the collapse of industry across the rust belt."

Erie Canal? Salt Mining? Uh, okay. Yeah, this area isn't exploding but this community has been post-industrial for a long time. This isn't Ampipe, Pa. or South Philly and the community isn't tying it's identity and self-worth to the fortunes of the local football team.

And how about this gem from Mink,

"It's been a fruitless endeavor asking the coach to commit to pinpointing an exact timeframe on naming a starter, and asking him to dissect differences or even the slimmest of advantages between the three contenders has been like pulling teeth."

What the hell is that?

Whatever happened to just the facts.

Well, in defense of Mink, most of the questions he gets asked probably centers around the starting QB situation. I think he's just saying "sorry, I'm not going to be able to get that answer for you any time soon."

These guys are young. They seem to be injecting observations that, while either patently obvious or commonplace occurrences to anyone over 30, are shiny new things to write about for them.

Maybe almost all covering this team are not good reporters, they blog blah blah blah

starting to think the old saying about giving a million monkey's typewriters one will write a novel is now one will work at the substandard

btw my mom has been calling them that since the 70's- she was a proofreader and couldnt understand how a news paper had none or hired the those who couldnt spell to begin with

"Syracuse is a city whose economic glory days are in the rear-view mirror, a city that has seen its peak reduced by the erosion of the salt mining industry, the collapse of trade through the Erie Canal and, lastly, the collapse of industry across the rust belt."

Ah yes, the old salty burg where the reticent sage rejects the young whizbangs questions like an old petulant donkey on the Erie Canal.

Like I said, keep clickin those links boys. That'll teach em.

The more outrageous they write, the more you all click.

No clickie....no writie

How about if folks are so determined to read the stuff.. instead of posting the link just cut and paste the article. That will decrease the hits.

Ah yes, the old salty burg where the reticent unwashed sage rejects the young whizbangs questions like an old petulant donkey on the Erie Canal.

Was going to say fixed, but it was nearly perfect to start.

Erie Canal? Salt Mining? Uh, okay. Yeah, this area isn't exploding but this community has been post-industrial for a long time. This isn't Ampipe, Pa. or South Philly and the community isn't tying it's identity and self-worth to the fortunes of the local football team.

"It's been a fruitless endeavor asking the coach to commit to pinpointing an exact timeframe on naming a starter, and asking him to dissect differences or even the slimmest of advantages between the three contenders has been like pulling teeth."

What the hell is that?

What the heck is Carlson talking about? Did I jump back in time and its suddenly 1965? Salt Mining and the Erie Canal havent been a part of this area for over half a freekin century, even more for the Canal. Christ if your going to mention economic issues at least bring up something in the last 30 years Allied Chemical, Carrier, NPG etc. Blaming the current economic issues on the Erie Canal and Salt mining is like blaming the closure of Fairmount fair mall as a devestating economic aspect.

I blame the Jesuits who came to Syracuse in the 17th Century.

I blame the fort at St. Marie among the Iroquois and the recent renovation adding office on the first floor, totally destroyed the city.

When this place closed, the glory days were officially over.
13050726424dc9d4025d3e9.jpg

What the hell is that?

Does this guy understand who is audience is? Maybe he's writing mostly for the trolls who patrol syracuse.com because he sure is not endearing himself to SU fans (and townies). I could see if he were a WV reporter and wanted to rip Syracuse...sure go for it. Or if Cohen was the same and wanted to slam SU for being a "second tier" program. But hell, they're supposedly writing to SU fans.

When this place closed, the glory days were officially over.
I forgot all about that place. It was a big deal in its day though.

Ah yes, the old salty burg where the reticent sage rejects the young whizbangs questions like an old petulant donkey on the Erie Canal.

Yessiree a place where the local denziens love to shout out "Low Bridge" right before the tow boat crashes into the lock gate because the rudder is rusted fast and the bargeman collapses while his load of salt turns the water of that old canal into a regular Dead Sea.

I've always thought the most poignant aspect of Syracuse is that air conditioning was essentially born here, and developed to standard here, which in turn fueled the growth of the South's economy, and ultimately the migration of people and industry to the south. In point of fact, Syracuse brought about its own demise.

I've always thought the most poignant aspect of Syracuse is that air conditioning was essentially born here, and developed to standard here, which in turn fueled the growth of the South's economy, and ultimately the migration of people and industry to the south. In point of fact, Syracuse brought about its own demise.

also when Sam Perkins decided to go to Carolina.

I think you're forgetting...

Cotton.jpg

...and...

220px-Nicotiana_Tobacco_Plants_1909px.jpg

:)

BEGIN OT RANT - Actually globalization and short-sited labor unions did the trick. Fortunately we now have a chance to rebound - cheap natural gas from hydrofracking has made it more efficient to open energy intensive industrial production in the rust belt than in china or even Mexico. Luckily, like Ohio and Pennsylvania, upstate NY has plenty of nat gas resources to exploit...but wait we have a moratorium on exploration so we'll just let the new factories open to the south and west of us - we wouldn't want any of those 'dirty' industrial jobs anyway. I am a democrat, but the opposition to this in NY state is ludicrous - no one is letting facts get in the way of a good fear fest. Lets for a moment concede that it is hypothetically remotely possible for natural gas to leak in to an aquifer when it is fracked nearly a mile below and sealed multiple times. First off how would you ever know because in gas rich reasons there is already natural gas in the aquifers. And moreover, what do you think would happen? Do you think we'll go around drinking gaseous hydrocarbons and blowing up? Natural gas immediately separates from water when exposed to the air. Nothing is contaminated or consumed, it is an impossibility. if you live over a gas seam and have a well- this process is most likely already ongoing in your home. In the case of serious contamination you'd simply vent the gas and send in bottled water until levels were safe. If this is the very rare worst cast scenario, and we can cut emissions, create industrial jobs, and become energy independent - what the are people thinking being opposed to this. Meanwhile OH, PA, and TX will be primary beneficiaries of the industrial rejuvenation of this country, and upstate will continue to bleed population and the fine old houses will continue to decay. END OF OT RANT.

I think you're forgetting...

Cotton.jpg

...and...

220px-Nicotiana_Tobacco_Plants_1909px.jpg

:)

That's the old south, you know the one that lost the Civil War. If they were still relying on cotton and tobacco it would be a 3rd world country.

Yessiree a place where the local denziens love to shout out "Low Bridge" right before the tow boat crashes into the lock gate because the rudder is rusted fast and the bargeman collapses while his load of salt turns the water of that old canal into a regular Dead Sea.
Cali, is that you?

BEGIN OT RANT - Actually globalization and short-sited labor unions did the trick. Fortunately we now have a chance to rebound - cheap natural gas from hydrofracking has made it more efficient to open energy intensive industrial production in the rust belt than in china or even Mexico. Luckily, like Ohio and Pennsylvania, upstate NY has plenty of nat gas resources to exploit...but wait we have a moratorium on exploration so we'll just let the new factories open to the south and west of us - we wouldn't want any of those 'dirty' industrial jobs anyway. I am a democrat, but the opposition to this in NY state is ludicrous - no one is letting facts get in the way of a good fear fest. Lets for a moment concede that it is hypothetically remotely possible for natural gas to leak in to an aquifer when it is fracked nearly a mile below and sealed multiple times. First off how would you ever know because in gas rich reasons there is already natural gas in the aquifers. And moreover, what do you think would happen? Do you think we'll go around drinking gaseous hydrocarbons and blowing up? Natural gas immediately separates from water when exposed to the air. Nothing is contaminated or consumed, it is an impossibility. if you live over a gas seam and have a well- this process is most likely already ongoing in your home. In the case of serious contamination you'd simply vent the gas and send in bottled water until levels were safe. If this is the very rare worst cast scenario, and we can cut emissions, create industrial jobs, and become energy independent - what the are people thinking being opposed to this. Meanwhile OH, PA, and TX will be primary beneficiaries of the industrial rejuvenation of this country, and upstate will continue to bleed population and the fine old houses will continue to decay. END OF OT RANT.

right because we all know american upper managements run for the money had zero to do with anything-blame the working stiffs

and what about all the caner causing chemicals used in your perfect hydrofracking world?

and i like how you left out the part about the gas being fracked sent overseas-