More Minutes for Hughes,Carey,Buddy | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

More Minutes for Hughes,Carey,Buddy

SU's offense was historically bad this past season. So to say SU will be better next season largely depends on whether you believe the offense will be improved. In my mind there were two obvious reasons why the offense was lousy last year - 1) terrible 3 point shooting and 2) very poor ball movement. It's not clear to me how either one of these will be materially improved next season, particularly if we lose the one guy (Battle) who was the best at creating his own shot.

Some times stats can be misleading but SU finishing 326th in 3 point shooting is not one of them. SU's three main 3 point shooters shot 32-33% last year. Compare those #s to any D-1 team, they're horrific. How is that going to improve? Neither Hughes nor Carey have a rep for being solid shooters from beyond the arc. I'm sure Buddy can help in this area but is he really ready to play major minutes as a frosh?

In terms of ball movement you need balance. For most of the season the ball was shared by three guys and then at the end the other guys got more involved. Hopefully that can continue because for most of the season the offense was constipated. Many of Frank Howard's biggest defenders here admit he's not a natural PG. Can Carey play that role? A lot to ask of a freshman. Just look at the four teams left playing today. Three of the best PGs in the country and Zavier Simpson is pretty solid as well. You need a good PG to orchestrate and get everybody involved.

We need to shoot 37 percent from 3 or better to get out of being a mid tier ACC team. I think we still get smoked by Virginia and UNC next year. We’re screwed.

You’re backpedaling. Your idea of better still may be a bubble team. My idea of better is 23-25 wins and a top 4-5 seed in March.

Show me where I back backpedaled? I’ve kept saying the same thing. You keep wanting to add caveats. You also want to add degrees of better. I’ll say it one more time, we’ll be better next year. If you don’t think so, say so.

We need to shoot 37 percent from 3 or better to get out of being a mid tier ACC team. I think we still get smoked by Virginia and UNC next year. We’re screwed.

I agree that 37%ish is required to elevate out of the middle. Who is going to bring the average up to that level? Not clear to me except I think Brissett is capable of shooting high 30s.

I won't go so far to say we're screwed because I'm not sure whether the competition will be improved or not. But at first glance I don't see how the offense will be materially improved from this past season.

Show me where I back backpedaled? I’ve kept saying the same thing. You keep wanting to add caveats. You also want to add degrees of better. I’ll say it one more time, we’ll be better next year. If you don’t think so, say so.

I already said we would be a bubble team. I asked you what you think better is and you won’t say we will be better than a bubble team.

It is what it is. It’s not optimal depth but it’s better. Some people, not you, just enjoy being in the glass half empty group. They enjoy the negative things.
I know, I even think if Sidibe is healthy, and if Buddy is ready, and if whichever of Hughes or Carey comes off the bench can provide some punch, that makes for a pretty good 8 man rotation.

It's just, those are three pretty big ifs, and the 9th guy is coming off an ACL injury, and oh yeah, there's nothing behind him.

So it goes.

when we talk injuries this year other than washington who avg'd 1 ppg , sidibe , moyer and chukwu all played 20,30 ,even 40 mpg when needed.
not like we ever lost any of them for more than a brief stretch. seems like if we needed them on the court they all played. mucho minutes even.

I agree that 37%ish is required to elevate out of the middle. Who is going to bring the average up to that level? Not clear to me except I think Brissett is capable of shooting high 30s.

I won't go so far to say we're screwed because I'm not sure whether the competition will be improved or not. But at first glance I don't see how the offense will be materially improved from this past season.

It’s either that or you need more dynamic guys off the bounce. Kentucky was playing really downhill second half of the season with shooting barely 36% as a team from 3. They also had better inside guys capable of finishing better. They ran into a buzzsaw in Kansas St. who really played really physical with them. I was a bit surprised since they handled Buffalo and crushed WVU in Morgantown. They were playing pretty much as good as anybody the last few weeks of the season without a great 3pt game scoring in the 80s the past month.

You do a good job going after low hanging fruit and taking on people you don’t like.
When you asked for expectations you won’t give anything concrete so it can’t come back to as you saying it.
Instead, it’s boilerplate stuff like we will be better and have more depth.

We could go 10-8 in the ACC next year and that is better but it’s also a bubble team.

We will be better next year as long as Hughes and Carey equal Battle.
We will have depth in the backcourt which is good but won’t have any depth in the frontcourt.

If Brissett or Dolezaj roll ankles and miss a few games or get sick we are screwed those games.

This team won’t be using 3 available scholarships and only one of them are not on the staff’s volition.

The second Thompson left we should have recruited a big way harder last year. We lost Thompson and haven’t even replaced him. That is on was this staff.

It’s either that or you need more dynamic guys off the bounce. Kentucky was playing really downhill second half of the season with shooting barely 36% as a team from 3. They also had better inside guys capable of finishing better. They ran into a buzzsaw in Kansas St. who really played really physical with them. I was a bit surprised since they handled Buffalo and crushed WVU in Morgantown. They were playing pretty much as good as anybody the last few weeks of the season without a great 3pt game scoring in the 80s the past month.

I would agree with that but since we're likely to lose Battle then it doesn't seem like we're going to have more dynamic guys off the bounce.

You do a good job going after low hanging fruit and taking on people you don’t like.
When you asked for expectations you won’t give anything concrete so it can’t come back to as you saying it.
Instead, it’s boilerplate stuff like we will be better and have more depth.

We could go 10-8 in the ACC next year and that is better but it’s also a bubble team.

We will be better next year as long as Hughes and Carey equal Battle.
We will have depth in the backcourt which is good but won’t have any depth in the frontcourt.

If Brissett or Dolezaj roll ankles and miss a few games or get sick we are screwed those games.

This team won’t be using 3 available scholarships and only one of them are not on the staff’s volition.

The second Thompson left we should have recruited a big way harder last year. We lost Thompson and haven’t even replaced him. That is on was this staff.

Who are you to determine who I do and do not like? Who are you? I happen to like 0307 and think he’s a very good poster and we’re quite often on the same side of an argument. JB, Frank, politics, etc.

Go look at my very first post to him. It says I didn’t know what the ceiling was but we’d be better. Oh the horror for that opinion. I even posted (in reply to you I think) a detailed explanation why I thought we had more depth and would be better. Now you want to take this thing and further turn it sideways.

You’re post is hilarious.

Who are you to determine who I do and do not like? Who are you? I happen to like 0307 and think he’s a very good poster and we’re quite often on the same side of an argument. JB, Frank, politics, etc.

Go look at my very first post to him. It says I didn’t know what the ceiling was but we’d be better. Oh the horror for that opinion. I even posted (in reply to you I think) a detailed explanation why I thought we had more depth and would be better. Now you want to take this thing and further turn it sideways.

You’re post is hilarious.
The feeling you have about my post is how I feel about you anytime you are asked to give an opinion that can comeback to being right or wrong.

You are polarizing just like I am.

The feeling you have about my post is how I feel about you anytime you are asked to give an opinion that can comeback to being right or wrong.

You are polarizing just like I am.

I really don’t care about your opinion. Again, I challenge you to reread this thread from where I started posting.

I really don’t care about your opinion. Again, I challenge you to reread this thread from where I started posting.
Cusefan0307 asked you a direct question about what is improvement for next year.
If you answered that I am wrong. I could have missed it.

As to your opinion I feel the same way about you.

Last edited:
Cusefan0307 asked you a direct question about what is improvement for next year.
If you answered that I am wrong. I could have missed it.

As to your opinion I feel the same way about you.

I did. It’s fine. I have nothing personal against bees. I just didn’t agree how he answered the question. All good everyone.

I did. It’s fine. I have nothing personal against bees. I just didn’t agree how he answered the question. All good everyone.

Can you show me where you asked a specific question?

He answered? What was the answer
I must have missed it.
Or you did?

He answered? What was the answer
I must have missed it.
Or you did?

“He answered? What was the answer?” Really? Lol. What he say, what he say. Lol.

“He answered? What was the answer?” Really? Lol. What he say, what he say. Lol.
Bees 101 deflect and make it about the other person.

You are just lucky it’s me and I am polarizing.
0307 basically confirmed you didn’t answer his question but he just let it go because he is better than me.

Good job responding and making it about me.

Bees 101 deflect and make it about the other person.

You are just lucky it’s me and I am polarizing.
0307 basically confirmed you didn’t answer his question but he just let it go because he is better than me.

Good job responding and making it about me.

Show me the question. There isn’t one. Your post was funny as hell.

Show me the question. There isn’t one. Your post was funny as hell.
I think his question was, after spending time reading this thread, was if we are a bubble team next year, would you say that we weren't improved after all? It's in #5 of the thread.

I think his question was, after spending time reading this thread, was if we are a bubble team next year, would you say that we weren't improved after all? It's in #5 of the thread.

Must be written with invisible ink.