More Minutes for Hughes,Carey,Buddy | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

More Minutes for Hughes,Carey,Buddy

I hope better means above 6th to 10th place finish in the conference like we have lived the past 4 years. If it isn't according to Day2 and Bees we will have underachieved.

I don’t know what the ceiling is. But it’ll be better than this years regular season.

I'll believe it when I see it. The way the team is constructed we have zero shot to beat Duke, UNC or Virginia.
Zero shot?? Is this serious? Virginia just got beat by who? We get duke at home where we beat them last year. I remember talk like this before the 09'10 season after Flynn, Devo and Harris left.

Zero shot?? Is this serious? Virginia just got beat by who? We get duke at home where we beat them last year. I remember talk like this before the 09'10 season after Flynn, Devo and Harris left.

We have a good shot against Duke. I'll give you that. We play them tough. UVA and UNC not so much.

We've lost 7 in a row against UNC. I expect 1-2 more losses this year. We've won twice against UVA in 5 years. I expect we lose to them again.

That isn't counting Louisville who has a better coach than they had this year, Clemson who gets a lot back, and NC State who is also trending up.

On paper right now we are closer to the bottom of the conference than top.
Currently only Louisville, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech have less talent on their rosters.

I know you know how much of a loss Bazley is.

I don’t know what the ceiling is. But it’ll be better than this years regular season.

That's not saying much bees. We could be 10-8 in the ACC and be a 9 seed instead of an 11. Not what people expect.

That's not saying much bees. We could be 10-8 in the ACC and be a 9 seed instead of an 11. Not what people expect.

If it’s not saying much then why is everyone arguing about what I said? I’ve only said we’ll have more depth next year and be better next year.

If it’s not saying much then why is everyone arguing about what I said? I’ve only said we’ll have more depth next year and be better next year.

Because better is subjective. Your idea of better isn't what people expected next year. Better is slightly above being a bubble team.

I hope better means above 6th to 10th place finish in the conference like we have lived the past 4 years. If it isn't according to Day2 and Bees we will have underachieved.
I am flattered that you're building a straw man in my honor.

The returning players don’t have to take leaps. They need to be better which is what I said. I also acknowledged that I assume Sid will be healthy. We need one more guy in the front court but Hughes is depth there and he can play the 3. It’s not like we need a PG to play PF.

We’ll be deeper next year and we’ll be better next year. But that doesn’t mean we automatically go further than this years team. Stuff happens in the tourney.
I think the general consensus is that we'll be better... but that could mean anywhere from 10-seed to 4-seed. Too many unknowns at this point. The upper end projection would require everyone back at full health and nabbing that premier grad transfer forward Mr. Porter.

Because better is subjective. Your idea of better isn't what people expected next year. Better is slightly above being a bubble team.
We were 8-10 and tied for 9th this year.
That was with an ACC bunched together and we were 2 games GT/Wake we should have won from a double bye.

Next year going 9-9 is probably 7th or 8th.
That is an improvement but the team is a bubblish team again.

With Bazley we were 11-7/13-5 good potentially.

Now we are closer to the bottom than top.
Real overachieving is pulling a Clemson this year and going 11-7.

We were 8-10 and tied for 9th this year.
That was with an ACC bunched together and we were 2 games GT/Wake we should have won from a double bye.

Next year going 9-9 is probably 7th or 8th.
That is an improvement but the team is a bubblish team again.

With Bazley we were 11-7/13-5 good potentially.

Now we are closer to the bottom than top.
Real overachieving is pulling a Clemson this year and going 11-7.

The problem I have are the same people who say we will be better will be the same people who will defend JB next year when we lost to NC State next year saying he is doing the most he can with the talent he has, but will forget they said we will be better next year over the previous spring/summer.

The problem I have are the same people who say we will be better will be the same people who will defend JB next year when we lost to NC State next year saying he is doing the most he can with the talent he has, but will forget they said we will be better next year over the previous spring/summer.
I loved the 3 NCAAT wins but those wins do not wash away the crap product we played this year. Those wins just showed the brilliance of JB’s zone. If we had a medicore offense we beat TCU by 15.

Bazley was the stud we needed to get out of mediocrity.
We are now medicore again next year unless players improve crazy amounts.

We were a limited team this year. Just replacing Battle/Moyer with Carey/Hughes/Boeheim doesn’t elevate us that much.

On paper right now we are closer to the bottom of the conference than top.
Currently only Louisville, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech have less talent on their rosters.

I know you know how much of a loss Bazley is.
I disagree. bazley is a very talented player. But we didn't just go from elite to bottom of the league because we don't have him. One thing though, this whole line of conversation is a waste of time. Those that think we are bottom of the league in talent aren't going to convinced otherwise until we play games next year. And those of us that think we are still going to be good aren't going to have their minds changed until we see games on the floor next year. I have brought up other years where we had this same conversation. Before '10 we lost Devo, Flynn and Harris. Oh my. And we were great. A #1 seed. In '86 we lost the Pearl, Addison and Alexis, oh my. And we played for the national title the next year. There are a lot of pieces on this team that are going to get better. We aren't the same team we were going to be a few days ago. There is no question about that. But I think we can still be very good. Let's see what OB and Marek look like in the fall. Hughes as well.

Let's see what OB and Marek look like in the fall. Hughes as well.[/QUOTE]

that's assuming they make it to campus of course.

Our history in this conference tells me not to expect anything more than 8-10 wins.

Your just being argumentative because your upset about bazley. We’ll be better. Has nothing to do with expectations. If you want to say we won’t be as good as expected without bazley, then fine. Nobody can argue that.

If PC is here and continues to improve we will be better. Legit improved production from the 5 spot on both ends means we will be better. Hughes OB, Frank and Marek with normal improvement and we are much better...health is the wild card d.

Your just being argumentative because your upset about bazley. We’ll be better. Has nothing to do with expectations. If you want to say we won’t be as good as expected without bazley, then fine. Nobody can argue that.

No I'm not. I don't even blame this on JB or the staff.

I am just saying that I don't see us getting out of the 8-10 win mark in conference play and we will one against be mediocre. Some people still think we will be good. My idea of good is actually beating the top of the conference. I don't see it.

If marek progresses, and sidibe’s healthy we’re a top 20 team.

Im more worried about carey, buddy and HW having less opportunity to progressivly develop at a realistic pace right now.

We’re a better team than last year even without Bazley

Hughes is the third forward. Carey is a slight downgrade from Battle, but Hughes and Boeheim are an upgrade over Moyer and Bayer.

I think we need a forward that could be serviceable in MD spot if he has to play the 5. I worry about Sib's knee.

If marek progresses, and sidibe’s healthy we’re a top 20 team.

Im more worried about carey, buddy and HW having less opportunity to progressivly develop at a realistic pace right now.

We’re a better team than last year even without Bazley
We average 66.6 PPG last year.
That was with including nonconference games against crap teams.

Tyus Battle averaged 19.2 PPG.
That is 47.4 PPG returning.

Please tell me how we are close t0 top 20.
Carey and Hughes can probably get us those 19.2 PPG.

Marek and Sidibe can add 5-10 PPG combined at best.

We aren’t close to the top 20 with this production. Unless we win every single close game.

We average 66.6 PPG last year.
That was with including nonconference games against crap teams.

Tyus Battle averaged 19.2 PPG.
That is 47.4 PPG returning.

Please tell me how we are close t0 top 20.
Carey and Hughes can probably get us those 19.2 PPG.

Marek and Sidibe can add 5-10 PPG combined at best.

We aren’t close to the top 20 with this production. Unless we win every single close game.
Depth makes a world of difference. Keeps the zone energized. Allows for Boeheim to consider pursuing a strategy involving transition. May allow us not to slow the tempo on offense as well.

As you’ve posted elsewhere, we still need a post scorer. Would make a world of difference.

That being said, I very much believe depth alone may help our scoring.