More reviews from Devo & Roberts... | Syracusefan.com

More reviews from Devo & Roberts...

It's a weird review. If we didn't have last season as a reference point, based on their comments, you'd think Lydon was the most unimpressive of the returning players.

Good read on the upcoming season. These guys nailed ithe with Lydon last summer.

Boeheim's Army members rave about Syracuse guards Frank Howard and Tyus Battle

Oh yeah... and if you haven't been keeping up with the recruiting page...

Andrew White III is going to be our new shooter this season!

I thought all the comments were really interesting. I think a stronger better ball handling Lydon is a deadly combination of improvement.

I can't wait to see how Howard does. He's very athletic. If he's completely past his freshmen-itus I expect he's going to have a very good season. Malachi has set a very good example for our kids on how become the part. I bet Malachi's Elite 8 performance is going to pay lots of dividends for all our players.

as a fan i am pumped on soo many levels, can only imagine what the coaching staff and players (once they are all together) think

as a fan i am pumped on soo many levels, can only imagine what the coaching staff and players (once they are all together) think

Yeah, it's pretty much Orange drunk city. This upcoming season anticipation reminds me of this season:

Syracuse Basketball 2009-2010

I was completely out of my Orange mind leading up to that season.

It almost sounds like they are calling out Lydon to become the leader of this team. I like it. Last year was all the praise, "Wait 'til you see this guy". This year is, "Ok Tyler, lets see how you are with the target on your back."

It almost sounds like they are calling out Lydon to become the leader of this team. I like it. Last year was all the praise, "Wait 'til you see this guy". This year is, "Ok Tyler, lets see how you are with the target on your back."

Lydon is the man!

P.S. I can't wait to see Battle play.

but this season if we lose our best center to injury we ll be in much better shape
Agreed. This is the most well rounded and versatile team that I can remember. White pretty much fills in any gaps. When MR declared for the draft, I thought this season was going to be difficult, now I am bullish on back to back Final Fours with a chance at cutting down the nets. Especially since JB saw what a press could do at times against good teams. It is just enough to take them out of their comfort zones and not get too used to playing against strictly the zone. And now we have the horses to run it whenever we like. In a tight game, spring it on the opposition once per half.

they re not incorrect. TL can get a little passive but hes got to try to assert his all around dominance more often. not only his shooting and rebounding, but that blocked shot against gonzag made the FF possible

Agreed. This is the most well rounded and versatile team that I can remember. White pretty much fills in any gaps. When MR declared for the draft, I thought this season was going to be difficult, now I am bullish on back to back Final Fours with a chance at cutting down the nets. Especially since JB saw what a press could do at times against good teams. It is just enough to take them out of their comfort zones and not get too used to playing against strictly the zone. And now we have the horses to run it whenever we like. In a tight game, spring it on the opposition once per half.
back to back FFs are so difficult to acheive, but whether its that or JBs second title, or an ACC reg season title or ACC tourney title- this team has the talent to acheive something special

and what i am just as excited about, big time success in back to back years should put the ncaa stuff behind us, really solidify recruiting so JB can go out in style and set up Hop (etc) for success. The Orange future never looked better imo

I'm a fan and I like the orange tinted comments from the SUFan crew, but what exactly about next year's team has everyone thinking we're FF bound? I see a lot of question marks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited about the "talent" we are adding, but we know how JB coaches and we know what it takes to play sufficient zone defense to keep the players on the floor. Battle, Gillon and White (?) are unknowns at this level and in the defensive acumen that is expected for players seeing the floor for extended minutes. While I would love to project that they will meet all expectations of the fan base, I do have to temper my excitement.

Having said that, I'm pretty excited about next year (yes, I am contradicting, to some level, what I said above ... but I'm a fan!), in particular how Frank Howard and Tyler Lydon have grown. Having additional outside shooting, from any perspective, will allow us more open looks, so I hope that Gillon and White meet expectations. And if Battle takes the starting PG duties then its probably a good sign.

And having said all of that - the one thing that always excites me about SU Sports is seeing how our players develop. It's one of the reasons I love CBB and College Football.

ORANGEsPHK said:
I'm a fan and I like the orange tinted comments from the SUFan crew, but what exactly about next year's team has everyone thinking we're FF bound? I see a lot of question marks. Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited about the "talent" we are adding, but we know how JB coaches and we know what it takes to play sufficient zone defense to keep the players on the floor. Battle, Gillon and White (?) are unknowns at this level and in the defensive acumen that is expected for players seeing the floor for extended minutes. While I would love to project that they will meet all expectations of the fan base, I do have to temper my excitement. Having said that, I'm pretty excited about next year (yes, I am contradicting, to some level, what I said above ... but I'm a fan!), in particular how Frank Howard and Tyler Lydon have grown. Having additional outside shooting, from any perspective, will allow us more open looks, so I hope that Gillon and White meet expectations. And if Battle takes the starting PG duties then its probably a good sign. And having said all of that - the one thing that always excites me about SU Sports is seeing how our players develop. It's one of the reasons I love CBB and College Football.

Dynamic 3 and D NBA wing, check
Fast quick guard who can get into the lane at will, check
Tall pass first point guard who is improving, check
One of the best incoming freshman guards, check
A rebounding machine, check
A tall nasty rebounding shot blocker to anchor the zone, check
A deadly experienced shooter, check
HoF coach, over qualified assistant, check
Confounding defensive system that seems to peak tourney time, check

I'm a fan and I like the orange tinted comments from the SUFan crew, but what exactly about next year's team has everyone thinking we're FF bound? I see a lot of question marks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited about the "talent" we are adding, but we know how JB coaches and we know what it takes to play sufficient zone defense to keep the players on the floor. Battle, Gillon and White (?) are unknowns at this level and in the defensive acumen that is expected for players seeing the floor for extended minutes. While I would love to project that they will meet all expectations of the fan base, I do have to temper my excitement.

Having said that, I'm pretty excited about next year (yes, I am contradicting, to some level, what I said above ... but I'm a fan!), in particular how Frank Howard and Tyler Lydon have grown. Having additional outside shooting, from any perspective, will allow us more open looks, so I hope that Gillon and White meet expectations. And if Battle takes the starting PG duties then its probably a good sign.

And having said all of that - the one thing that always excites me about SU Sports is seeing how our players develop. It's one of the reasons I love CBB and College Football.

About the 3rd week of January we will all have an Orange hang over from all our Orange drunkenness. Disillusionment will set in around the first week of February. At some point one of the coaches will say, "we've been working really hard on our defense and tonight the boys played really well." And then we will get our 20 wins. We will make the NCAA tournament as a 5th or 6th seed (maybe we are a 3rd or 4th seed it depends on how many loses other teams have). And if we do not lose in the Sweet 16 game I think we have a good chance for deep tournament run. We will probably end up facing Duke or UNC in the Elite 8 because the East and South brackets will be stacked with ACC teams.

The problem with any two team game, at the highest level, winning becomes a 50/50 bet and it takes a lot of luck to win four in row. I like our chances to be in a position to roll the dice on the last four games.

Awesome hearing Devo describing getting by his man, drivng into the paint to find Chukwu, TT, and Lydon there. Wow! That's a fortress.

I like what they said about Battle. He's going to be threat that will cause worry in other teams which will open up good looks for other players.

""I'm sure the most obvious one is Tyus Battle," Roberts said. "He's super-explosive, super-fast, but also poised. He can play the (point), which is critical for his transition into the NBA. He can shoot the ball, actually has a decent post game. He was the most impressive to me. He'll be starting in my opinion. The other (freshmen) will see some minutes here and there."

I think the biggest thing you are seeing is a lot of optimism borne out of how much better we've gotten since the end of the season, just in terms of depth and options. Things looked relatively bleh in April/May, especially with MR leaving a possibility.

Since then we've added what appears to be a pretty serviceable point guard, what appears to be a strong 3 point shooting threat and scorer and a backup power forward/center. It is unusual for us to add that many pieces this late in the game. Unless something really unexpected occurs there is no question we are better now going into the season than we looked like we were going to be just after the conclusion of the tournament last season. And that will be the case without anyone having to show a huge improvement or acquisition of a skill set they didn't demonstrate last season.....if guys do that we may be really really good.

A lot needs to go right for this team to be a NC contender but the path to that type of team doesn't seem as implausible to me as last season's team's path to the final four seemed. We now have a greater margin of error for us being a strong competitor in the league and top 20 team because we have more ways that things can go right. JB bought another basket or two to put next season's eggs in.

they re not incorrect. TL can get a little passive but hes got to try to assert his all around dominance more often. not only his shooting and rebounding, but that blocked shot against gonzag made the FF possible
I think last year, Tyler deferred to the upperclassmen. My guess is this year he feels less of a 'guest', and more of a 'resident'.

I think last year, Tyler deferred to the upperclassmen. My guess is this year he feels less of a 'guest', and more of a 'resident'.
I agree, and it will be interesting to see how the transition will work. I think he has the right personality and enough respect from his teammates to excel as a leader, but it is a tricky transition.

I think whoever scores the most will get the team's respect. The PGs will of course drive the offense. But I think Roberson and Coleman will assert themselves as our team's spiritual leaders since they are the most senior on the team.

I really like having a team with 4 players having a final four experience. I think it's really going to help us come tournament time.

Most intriguing: Roberts claiming that Battle has a post game.

When's the last time we've had a guard who could play with his back to the basket? I truly can't remember. Edelin?

I don't think I've ever seen it.

You my friend, get some of the weirdest takes out of peoples posts and articles.
I'd like to add, there was no mention of Gillon, but maybe he wasn't available?