Morning Sports Radio Question... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Morning Sports Radio Question...

Did you check your benefits for pre-tax childcare incentives ... my employer allows me to contribute x number of pre-tax dollars each week to a fund that I can dip from for child care or private school education. Saves me some $$ along the way. I pursued it because I have a 4 year old in private school down here. In Georgia you can also use state tax dollars that you paid as an education credit to a private institution or a daycare ... NY might have a similar program, but you really have to do some digging. In essence here if I pay more than $5000 a year in state tax (which I do) I am able to contribute about 60% of it towards my child's tuition at certain charter schools, unfortunately she is in the Primrose School and they don't do it but schools like the Goddard School do. Also I have found that private pre-k schools are less expensive than day care and I can have my child there from literally 6:30 am to 6:30 pm, it has been a blessing.

Yeah, I just started the dependent care program through my employer, it's a great thing but they should adjust it for areas with a higher cost of living. You can only take out 5k pre tax and that isn't even a third of 1 years expenses. You get screwed if you live in an area that has a higher cost of living. I tried to look up the education credit for NJ and couldn't find anything. If there was one, Christie probably removed it by now.

Yeah, I just started the dependent care program through my employer, it's a great thing but they should adjust it for areas with a higher cost of living. You can only take out 5k pre tax and that isn't even a third of 1 years expenses. You get screwed if you live in an area that has a higher cost of living. I tried to look up the education credit for NJ and couldn't find anything. If there was one, Christie probably removed it by now.

They capped yours at $5K ... that is surprising to me ... that doesn't give you a whole heck of a lot.