most bad news in a 60 day period | Syracusefan.com

most bad news in a 60 day period

OrangeinCT

Walk On
OK, I've only followed the Orange for 38 years, but I cannot recall a 2 month period that has been filled with more bad news than what we have just lived through. To recap;

> loss to Boston College in the dome. This is the 1st time in NCAA history that a 19 loss team has beaten a team ranked #1.

> loss to Duke / bad call / JB tossed. No explanation needed - just frustrating.

> Loss to Georgia Tech...UGLY. Starting to realize this team is not as good as advertised.

> 1st round loss in ACC tourney to NC State. We miss approximately 150 shots in the final 25 seconds.

> loss to Dayton. OK they were a hot team and we weren't going to the Final 4 anyway but this is still a crap way to end the season. 3-6 in the final 9 games and no major injury to blame.

> The U CONs win the title by defeating Kentucky. Are there two worse examples of college athletics than these programs? ARGGH!

> Ennis declares for the draft even though he obviously tired when forced to play more than 30 games in a season. (and we obviously could use better depth next year)

> Grant declares for the draft. I guess 4 points and 5 fouls vs Dayton shows that you're ready to move on.

I challenge board members to find a darker 8 week period in our history. I'm sure we'll be OK in the long run, but it sure feels like poop right now.

It has been pretty bad, and I didn't see this ennis and grant thing coming.

OK, I've only followed the Orange for 38 years, but I cannot recall a 2 month period that has been filled with more bad news than what we have just lived through. To recap;

> loss to Boston College in the dome. This is the 1st time in NCAA history that a 19 loss team has beaten a team ranked #1.

> loss to Duke / bad call / JB tossed. No explanation needed - just frustrating.

> Loss to Georgia Tech...UGLY. Starting to realize this team is not as good as advertised.

> 1st round loss in ACC tourney to NC State. We miss approximately 150 shots in the final 25 seconds.

> loss to Dayton. OK they were a hot team and we weren't going to the Final 4 anyway but this is still a crap way to end the season. 3-6 in the final 9 games and no major injury to blame.

> The U CONs win the title by defeating Kentucky. Are there two worse examples of college athletics than these programs? ARGGH!

> Ennis declares for the draft even though he obviously tired when forced to play more than 30 games in a season. (and we obviously could use better depth next year)

> Grant declares for the draft. I guess 4 points and 5 fouls vs Dayton shows that you're ready to move on.

I challenge board members to find a darker 8 week period in our history. I'm sure we'll be OK in the long run, but it sure feels like poop right now.
Losses to UCon (closing Manley), Navy, Richmond, Indiana, Vermont were pretty bad one shot blows, as was probation, but this is the first time we have been humbled by a combination.

I don't think these two items should be on your list . . . you make it sound like addition by subtraction!

Probation kind of trumps all of that, for me. That was a awful feeling.

Oh, and thanks for compiling the list.:bat:

I agree. We've missed the tourney before but there is nothing worse for me than starting the season knowing you have no chance to make it. Plus just the bad publicity.

I was fully expecting as a continuation, that Parker was going to stay. Him announcing yesterday may have broken the streak.

How about the period between when the Post Standard broke their story and when John Wallace finally showed up on campus?

COLLEGES; N.C.A.A. Calls a Two-Year Foul on Syracuse

By WILLIAM C. RHODEN
Published: October 2, 1992

Syracuse University's men's basketball program, traditionally a national powerhouse, was placed on two years of probation yesterday by the National Collegiate Athletic Association for widespread violations involving recruits and student athletes.

Syracuse becomes the first member of the Big East Conference to be placed on probation since the conference was started in 1979. In announcing the sanctions, which stem from a two-year investigation, the N.C.A.A. also cited violations in football, women's basketball, men's lacrosse and wrestling.

The most serious allegations were lodged against the men's basketball program. The N.C.A.A. said there were repeated and conscious efforts by representatives of the university's athletic interests to gain recruiting and competitive advantages in men's basketball.

As a result, Syracuse will be banned from the N.C.A.A. men's basketball tournament after the 1992-93 season, will lose a men's basketball scholarship in both the 1993-94 and 1994-95 seasons and will not be allowed to send its men's basketball coaches off campus to recruit from Jan. 1, 1993, to June 30, 1993.

How about the period between when the Post Standard broke their story and when John Wallace finally showed up on campus?

By WILLIAM C. RHODEN

Syracuse University's men's basketball program, traditionally a national powerhouse, was placed on two years of probation yesterday by the National Collegiate Athletic Association for widespread violations involving recruits and student athletes.

Syracuse becomes the first member of the Big East Conference to be placed on probation since the conference was started in 1979. In announcing the sanctions, which stem from a two-year investigation, the N.C.A.A. also cited violations in football, women's basketball, men's lacrosse and wrestling.

The most serious allegations were lodged against the men's basketball program. The N.C.A.A. said there were repeated and conscious efforts by representatives of the university's athletic interests to gain recruiting and competitive advantages in men's basketball.

As a result, Syracuse will be banned from the N.C.A.A. men's basketball tournament after the 1992-93 season, will lose a men's basketball scholarship in both the 1993-94 and 1994-95 seasons and will not be allowed to send its men's basketball coaches off campus to recruit from Jan. 1, 1993, to June 30, 1993.

Was thinking the same thing!! It is more than 60 days but probably the worst time for SU sports.

October 1992 Sanctions of SU basketball, wrestling, and lacrosse
January 1993 Michael Edwards incident

Perspective. This past year still brought some great moments. We are hardly bereft even with the loss of underclassmen. We are talking college basketball --there are going to be some ups and downs. But there is nothing here that is in any way tragic. A few years from now the take away from this past month may not be Ennis and Grant leaving, we may remember it as the time we signed Franklin Howard.

While probation was truly bad, we pretty much knew it was coming. The killer for me was losing AO before the final run in the NCAA. Unexpected and totally disheartening when it looked like we might have it all.

I remember feeling extremely disappointed when things went south during the 99-2000 season. We started off great and we had three seniors (Thomas, Blackwell, and Hart) that were probably not quite good enough to go pro early but good enough to take control of the game. But after we stumbled, it seemed like we never recovered.

By WILLIAM C. RHODEN

Which included the loss to Villanova to lose a 1 seed, the l
Was thinking the same thing!! It is more than 60 days but probably the worst time for SU sports.

October 1992 Sanctions of SU basketball, wrestling, and lacrosse
January 1993 Michael Edwards incident

Dec 1990 P/S report
Jan-Mar 1991+ Investigation stays on front pages, leading to game suspensions, and recruiting starting to take a hit.
March 1991, with 26-4 record and top 4 ranking, winning Big East by 2 games, which send 2 to final 8 and 8 to tourney, lose to Villanova in BET, then Richmond as first 2 seed in NCAA to lose in 1st round
April 1991, Billy Owens goes pro. not a shocker at the time but with recruiting up in the air (Moten was largely unknown), and no one coming back close to him in talent, not knowing the next turn of the investigation, the future seemed very much in doubt

I agree. If you are not bleeding Orange after the last 60 days maybe you are not a fan. I'm tired of the guys with the Orange colored glasses. The 2013-2014 season is second only to the 19-13 season as the most disappointing in my memory of the JB era. It's not the record. It's going 3-6 the last nine games and UCONN of all teams winning the national championship. WOW! For an Orange fan it can't be worse other than losing in the first round of the NIT and having UCONN win a national championship.

Next year's team will be a talented squad. But it takes a year or two to teach 2-3 zone especially for the bigger players. I hope JB also puts in one or two read react type offensive plays. The double picks were cool. But the 2013-2014 could not do a good pick-n-roll for anything. The team needs a team offense. We are getting killed by doing one-on-one isolation and hoping for some offense. The opposing team just double teams players on their spots and the offense is killed. We need some kind of motion offense. But the 2-3 zone probably takes all the time there is in practice.

Which included the loss to Villanova to lose a 1 seed, the l

Dec 1990 P/S report
Jan-Mar 1991+ Investigation stays on front pages, leading to game suspensions, and recruiting starting to take a hit.
March 1991, with 26-4 record and top 4 ranking, winning Big East by 2 games, which send 2 to final 8 and 8 to tourney, lose to Villanova in BET, then Richmond as first 2 seed in NCAA to lose in 1st round
April 1991, Billy Owens goes pro. not a shocker at the time but with recruiting up in the air (Moten was largely unknown), and no one coming back close to him in talent, not knowing the next turn of the investigation, the future seemed very much in doubt

Good call--that stretch of time in '91 was exponentially worse, and just as big of a collapse as this year.

The slump ended with the Howard commitment, an important get, now as long as we also get a commit from one of the desired bigs we will be back on track in a solid way.

Next year's team may not be better overall than was this year's team, but they almost certainly will be better come March when it really matters.

The slump ended with the Howard commitment, an important get, now as long as we also get a commit from one of the desired bigs we will be back on track in a solid way.

Next year's team may not be better overall than was this year's team, but they almost certainly will be better come March when it really matters.

With 13 total scholarships, I think there is just one spot open. It's too bad because we may get Diagne, Bryant, or Silva but we will most likely miss out on Jones. Jones would have been a good player to get. Diallo says he's no longer interested in SU.

My bet is we end up with Silva because nobody knows what the DC situation is going to be.

With 13 total scholarships, I think there is just one spot open. It's too bad because we may get Diagne, Bryant, or Silva but we will most likely miss out on Jones. Jones would have been a good player to get. Diallo says he's no longer interested in SU.

My bet is we end up with Silva because nobody knows what the DC situation is going to be.
If Jones wants to come here, I think we will find some room. It is possible that McC is a one & done. In fact, he is likely to be a one & done unless he disappoints. They way things are going in college hoops and with the draft you also can't totally eliminate Joseph and Roberson from the possible one & done list as they will both will have minutes and opportunity. Finally, you never know if somebody might transfer if they get stuck at the end of Jimmy's bench and get impatient.

As to the bigs - I am concerned about Diagne, it seems that all the ducks were in a row last fall for him to commit if he really wanted to come here. My guess is it's either Bryant or Silva with Bryant getting first dibs.