Most Over rated/Under Rated films | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Most Over rated/Under Rated films

Can I go with "sadly kind of forgotten classic that doesn't get thought of as an all-time great but absolutely should" rather than underrated? Because LA Confidential, all day, every day.

^^^THIS^^^

LA Confidential is simply an awesome film. Awesome. Definitely underrated for sure.

My underrated list also includes The Negotiator, another Kevin Spacey great. A History of Violence was a good movie most people never talk about. Gran Torino, October Sky, and the Daniel Craig Bond movies.

Overrated is most definitely Avatar. Movies that rely so heavily on CGI typically lack on plot and character. Most Will Smith movies are overrated too.

Don't know why this popped into my head as soon as I saw this thread but Road to Perdition, I don't remember if it got a lot of attention when it came out but you don't ever hear about it now.

Also throw in Man on Fire, Pump up the Volume, and True Romance

Last edited:
agree on Avatar, immediately jumps to mind as most overrated.

underrated I will go with Roadhouse, a profoundly stupid move that is terribly over-acted all up and down the line, but which is nonetheless so entertaining that I can never resist watching it when I see it on the scrolling guide . . . which is at least 2x a month

Avatar was all about the 3D effects and visuals.

Curious what your take would be had you seen it in a theatre, preferably IMAX, in 3D, potentially under the influence of...something.

Yeah, it was incredible. But overall? I can agree how it would be overrated. Plot was eh.

Overrated- Anchorman
Underrated- 40 year old virgin, No Country for Old Men

Big Lebowski isn't even the funniest movie that has bowling in it.

Can I go with "sadly kind of forgotten classic that doesn't get thought of as an all-time great but absolutely should" rather than underrated? Because LA Confidential, all day, every day.
that's interesting, because I would call LA Confidential overrated. I loved the book - I love all of Ellroy's books - and I was largely disappointed by the film adaptation (and, btw, killing Dudley Smith at the end was stupid, as he is the only character who appears in all four of the LA Quartet series, so killing him effectively killed what could have been a franchise)

I thought LA Confidential to be very good, but Chinatown, on the other hand, was great.

I'm going to an All Tom Cruise one -

Overrated - Far and away - which was far and away the worst movie the wife made me watch because she loved it so
Underrated - The Last Samurai - can't ever pass that one by when I see it on, and I'm really not a fan of Tom.

I HATED Inception. Hated it. My wife loves it and says that I just don't understand it (or her, presumably).

Someone mentioned Jonathan Demme's 'Something Wild'. I also recommend Demme's 'Melvin and Howard', a wonderful shaggy dog of a movie that is less underrated than forgotten. Featuring Jason Robards as Howard Hughes. I love every frame of that movie.

The Rounders one is good! It led me to think of Primal Fear. I honestly like a lot of what Edward Norton does as an actor.

Face Off was a terrible movie. Actually, I think John Woo is highly overrated as a director.

over rated : twilight saga
under rated : moonrise kingdom

bts_ed_norton.jpg

tbonezone said:
under rated : moonrise kingdom
I love all of the Wes Anderson movies, but I have a tough time saying any of them are underrated. I remember a poster on here arguing the opposite.

I love all of the Wes Anderson movies, but I have a tough time saying any of them are underrated. I remember a poster on here arguing the opposite.
yeah . . . I generally like his movies but they are certainly not everyone's taste

that's interesting, because I would call LA Confidential overrated. I loved the book - I love all of Ellroy's books - and I was largely disappointed by the film adaptation (and, btw, killing Dudley Smith at the end was stupid, as he is the only character who appears in all four of the LA Quartet series, so killing him effectively killed what could have been a franchise)
I agree. Keeping Dudley Smith alive would have enabled a sequel or two. Imagine the TV series Justified if Boyd Crowder had not survived the first season.

The story and the scenery in Moonrise Kingdom were good, but I couldn't stand the acting/directing. Why does everyone talk in deadpan in Wes Anderson movies? The scene in Moonrise Kingdom where the girl was hanging from the roof in the pouring rain but showed zero emotion was the epitome of this. Most of my artsy fartsy friends loved this movie but I did not.

Overrated: Pulp Fiction, American Beauty, Chocolate
Underrated: Road to Perdition, Gran Torino (these got good reviews but nobody talks about them), Hamburger Hill

Wow, what is not to like about any of those?
I think that I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like these movies, which is why I consider them overrated.
Pulp Fiction was just dumb. Nobody talks like that. Nobody acts like that. It tried too hard to be hip. American Beauty tried way too hard, period. Chocolate was preachy and annoying. I consider myself a feminist but I get annoyed with movies where all the men are evil unless they're really hot (see Brad Pitt in Thelma and Louise).

Again, I seem to be a minority of one with these three.

I have to add "That Thing You Do" to the underrated category. It's one of those movies that I end up watching everytime I stumble on it while channel surfing - like last night.