Most Over rated/Under Rated films | Syracusefan.com

Most Over rated/Under Rated films

CanadianSU

Living Legend
May be a thread already on this but I digress...

Last of the Mohicans (1992) or Inception (2010) Spy Kids (ALL OF THEM) = Over rated

School Ties (1992) and No Country For Old Men (2007) = Under Rated

Yours?

I've always thought that Master and Commander was very, very underrated.

Avatar was wildly overrated. If I started thinking about it a little more...well, I'd probably be able to come up with a bunch more of each.

The Red Violin - incredibly under rated.

Gladiator- Never really cared for it.

I never read a bad review for The Red Violin or No Country for Old Men. Are we sure they are underrated?

I never read a bad review for The Red Violin or No Country for Old Men. Are we sure they are underrated?
I never read a view for red Violin, but no one I know ever heard of it. That's why I listed it.

Capt. Tuttle said:
I never read a view for red Violin, but no one I know ever heard of it. That's why I listed it.
anybody who has seen it loves it; including me.

Donnie Darko = underrated... and misunderstood
Payback = underrated... some great character performances, plus Lucy Liu when she still had curves
Sexy Beast = underexposed... so few people have seen it; Ben Kingsley gives us one of the greatest "bad guys" of all time

Overrated : Babel, Avatar

Underwatched : City of God, Children of Men

Most disappointing : Alien vs Predator

Most watched movie that critics destroyed : Chronicles of Riddick

No country for old men is an absolute classic imo. It isn't known enough!

No country for old men is an absolute classic imo. It isn't known enough!

I've never watched it. It was a weird marketing campaign that lead me to think it must be a poor movie. They were offering it for $5 at the counter @ FYE when it released which was odd to me. I'll have to track it down and watch it, I've heard multiple people say it's very good.

We all obviously have our own definitions of "underrated," but No Country for Old Men won a freakin' Oscar, so I have trouble calling it underrated.

A film's mass-popularity is a different topic in my mind. The masses go to see Transformers and The Fast & Furious. I'm not interested in what they think.

No Country for Old Men was well received andhardly underrated. perhaps another film by the Coen Bros. people haven't seen is BLOOD SIMPLE. great film noir.
people also know jonathan demme for SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. but you should also check out his 1986 film SOMETHING WILD. very dark and very funny.

We all obviously have our own definitions of "underrated," but No Country for Old Men won a freakin' Oscar, so I have trouble calling it underrated.

A film's mass-popularity is a different topic in my mind. The masses go to see Transformers and The Fast & Furious. I'm not interested in what they think.

I love the Fast and Furious movies (sans 2). They don't try and be anything they aren't thus I don't have unrealistic expectations going in.

The transformers movies are horrid though, especially the latest one. Now the 80s cartoon Transformers movie... love it now because I loved it as a child.

I've never watched it. It was a weird marketing campaign that lead me to think it must be a poor movie. They were offering it for $5 at the counter @ FYE when it released which was odd to me. I'll have to track it down and watch it, I've heard multiple people say it's very good.
Watch it man. It's great.

"call it"
cointoss.jpg

agree on Avatar, immediately jumps to mind as most overrated.

underrated I will go with Roadhouse, a profoundly stupid move that is terribly over-acted all up and down the line, but which is nonetheless so entertaining that I can never resist watching it when I see it on the scrolling guide . . . which is at least 2x a month

Can I go with "sadly kind of forgotten classic that doesn't get thought of as an all-time great but absolutely should" rather than underrated? Because LA Confidential, all day, every day.

May be a thread already on this but I digress...

Last of the Mohicans (1992) or Inception (2010) Spy Kids (ALL OF THEM) = Over rated

School Ties (1992) and No Country For Old Men (2007) = Under Rated

Yours?
why is inception over rated? story/acting/special effects which did you think was not well done?

I was not a big fan of no country either. i thought the lead was fine, but the story was just so dry and lacking i found it too hard to watch.

how could sky kids get over rated? was it actually watched by anyone who really watches movies besides kids or parent of kids?

why is inception over rated? story/acting/special effects which did you think was not well done?

I was not a big fan of no country either. i thought the lead was fine, but the story was just so dry and lacking i found it too hard to watch.

how could sky kids get over rated? was it actually watched by anyone who really watches movies besides kids or parent of kids?
Well thats my picks... Sorry you don't agree lol

upperdeck said:
The action scenes felt like they went on forever. I thought the concept for the film was great, but it was as if they threw in these long action sequences to appease the meatheads.

You are really missing out. The story and the performances are fantastic. The character of Anton Chigure (Javier Bardem) is one of the creepiest and scariest on-screen villains in recent cinema history. Get it on Netflix when you can.

Can I go with "sadly kind of forgotten classic that doesn't get thought of as an all-time great but absolutely should" rather than underrated? Because LA Confidential, all day, every day.

With that lead up description I thought you had to be going with killer klowns from outer space