Moving to Syracuse.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Moving to Syracuse..

I'n laughing at the notion that the traffic from F-M is awful. It takes what, maybe 25 minutes to get downtown with traffic?

I'd kill myself if I had to go through Lyndon Corners everyday. No thank you.

Good post, SkanSU.

Re: Onondaga Hill, check out High Acres apartment complex. Very, very affordable and much nicer than typical apartment housing.

lol...I just called that one up when I stumbled on your post. I found it a bit odd they have no interior pics, but seems like it's worth checking out.

- Also, thanks SkanSU, great post - I appreciate it!

I assume no kids and no serious g/f so it you are probably looking for a 2 Bdr at the biggest...where is your job going to be at? I think that is a big player in this.

Age? Where (location) will you be working? Pretty important info for advice

32 - I'll be working on the west side of Syracuse - maybe 5/6 minutes out of downtown according to Google maps down Erie Blvd.

I have a serious GF, but she lives in another state at the moment, so that's why I'm not that concerned with living cheaply Year 1. Might as well save money while I can.

32 - I'll be working on the west side of Syracuse - maybe 5/6 minutes out of downtown according to Google maps down Erie Blvd.

I have a serious GF, but she lives in another state at the moment, so that's why I'm not that concerned with living cheaply Year 1. Might as well save money while I can.

You might want to look anywhere Downtown to Tipp Hill to Camillus

Another spot to checkout is Franklin Square it is located on the north side of downtown and convenient to everything.
http://www.suttoncos.com/management/complex_detail.php?complex_id=25

If you like the outdoors, biking, boating & fishing etc.. and socially your more of a homebody then you'd love Grenader Village on John Glenn Blvd. Apartments and townhouses on the river, pool, barbeque pavillion & beach volleyball. bike trails, dog park. maybe 10-15 downtown. But cabs to liverpool are like $20+ for like 6-7 miles

If you want a great spot close to work like (3 minutes) and you want to meet cool down to earth people who are your age then Tip Hill is the spot. Tipperrary Hill has some of best ammenities for bachelors. Nice parks in two directions, golf course, zoo and 10-15 bars and restaurants with good food within walking distance. Shopping, food stores, planetfitness, hardware, mall & new restaurants etc... within a mile. Blarney Burgers, pizza, wings, Brook pickle.

It all depends on if you want? a half or whole house with character, like old exposed wood & pocket doors. Or if u want ammenites of a complex, like a pool, workout fac. more modern appliances. You can have quiet and busy streets on tip hill. If i was working on the west side and waiting for my girl, i'd move to tipp & meet people. Check out Whittier ave, nice treelined street. Anything bordering the parks or the streets between colemans and burnet park. YOU WANT OFF STREET PARKING! also toward the westcott reservoir is more old and quiet.

If you like the downtown scene, or lofts checkout armory, big building next to dinosaur, & over by spaghetti warehouse. I would wait for her to arrive before u think about b'ville, liverpool, fayetville, manlius.
South shore of Oneida Lake is nice if you want to drive, over on river by waterfront restaurant is a good spot.

I'm an Eastsider but Tip Hill might be your cup of tea. Pretty cheap, younger crowd, and very close to downtown/University, on the west side - might be 5-10 minutes to your work.

The village of camillus is nice and close if you like a little character in your suburbs. If you like wine and fine dining I'd run toward manlius/fayetville.

If i lived in clay or fayetville in a little box... filled with tickey-tackey... I might go emo cause I'm pretty sure my soul would be disintegrated by stripmall exposure.

lol...I just called that one up when I stumbled on your post. I found it a bit odd they have no interior pics, but seems like it's worth checking out.

- Also, thanks SkanSU, great post - I appreciate it!

Don't worry about the lack of interior pics--the grounds are PHENOMENAL, and the apartments are very, very nice. Not sure about their website [or wherever you researched them]--I guarantee you that it has nothing to do with trying to hide anything.

Lived at High Acres from 95-99, and back then the cost was only about $500 to rent a two bedroom. Amazingly, it was the nicest apartment I ever had--do yourself a favor and go check out the complex in person. I'm guessing you'll come away with a similar impression, even if you elect to live in a different part of town.

Reading this thread has been interesting . Growing up in Syracuse I don't think I ever took a cab but several people have mentioned it. Is that common these days for Syracuse? Or a demographics kind of thing?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Follow up on High Acres...

These people apparently didn't like it.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/NY-Syracuse-High-Acres-Apartments.html

Interesting--I want to point out that my recommendation was based on living there more than a decade ago. Sounds like the new management / ownership group might not be as good as the old one was. If that's the case, apologies Ghost for potentially steering you awry.

I will say that back when I was living there, it was quiet as hell, the apartments / grounds were extremely nice and well maintained, and the rent was bafflingly low for all of the amenities. There were lots of young professionals living there when I was there--very nice atmosphere overall. Best of all: it was close to Kelley's, my favorite watering hole in the 'Cuse.

I'd advise that you go check it out and form your own opinion. But again, apologies if things have changed up there.

Reading this thread has been interesting . Growing up in Syracuse I don't think I ever took a cab but several people have mentioned it. Is that common these days for Syracuse? Or a demographics kind of thing?

Based on my sons sometimes use of a cab, it's a too loaded to drive thing. By extension, that's a good thing.

On the topic, grew up on south side & there's nothing there. Live on Onondaga Hill & love it. I too would say check out High Acres. I live very close to it (own a house) & it still appears well kept. You'll be within walking distance of Kelley's, a decent deli, & the branch office of the best ice cream on Earth -- Gannon's. You'll also be five minutes from work by going down Velasko.

And the most important factor, can show you the back way to the Dome. You can leave 1/2 hour before kickoff/tipoff & be in your seats 5 to 10 minutes early. (Although my gang prefers to be even earlier.). Getting home is just as easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cabs in Syracuse are huge ripoffs and basically suck, especially from Hancock. 2 examples:

1. Three years ago in August, I was staying with friends on Skinny. Instead of having them schlep me to Hancock, I took a fine Centro motor coach (not a regular city bus) from the Village to the Transportation Center for $3.50. I got into a cab and the fare for a 5 mile trip was $22.50. I had 23 bucks on me and told Latka to keep the change. Unreal.

2. Flew up from DC to the WV game last year on that Friday afternoon. Plane was late, my ride could not make it as he works the FB games, so I said no problem, I'll just get a cab. 40 ING MINUTES TO GET A CAB! When Cab Dispatcher Lulu called my name, a SU family of four had just flown in. They were told an hour wait. I said no problem, let's share, which they did. Of course we get a driver and it's his first day and has been to campus ONCE! I sat in the front seat and navigated. The charge was $40.00, which the SU dad picked up, since I saved him and his family an hour wait.

West side all the way. Avoid 81 at all costs. Camillus/Onondaga Hill/Tipp Hill.
west side no, west end yes---that is the tipphill area.the upper blocks have the better housing---(tomkins,tennysen,bryant,whittier,schuyler,hamilton etc) if you want to be in the city limits.

Eh, I'm not really stuck on a budget. But I would prefer to go low over high since I'm going to be living alone, and for the first year I figure I'll just be getting acclimated to the area.

Probably wouldn't go higher than 1K...but I wouldn't expect to touch that tbh, it seems on Craigslist you can go much lower, and the higher end stuff isn't exactly mind-blowingly nice. :) I'm okay living anywhere, any type of apartment/housing, as long as the area is decent/safe/normal.

Kings Gate used to be nicer than it is now, but the apts are very spacious. B'ville is a little far if you work downtown. On snowy days, it's hard getting into town once you go north of the Thruway, and really bad once you go north of the Seneca River / Oneida Lake. Living downtown is something people are pushing, but (a) you are close to crime after work hours are over, and (b) there are literally no services (dry clearners, grocery, etc.).

Stay away from Tipp Hill. No offense to the residents, but that's the borderline between the beginning of the Burbs and the Bricks. Lots of car break-ins, etc.

Its been said before but Tipp Hill is the place for you. I'm close to your age (34) with no kids, and until you have kids you want to live on Tipp Hill. Its in the city and thus close to EVERYTHING. But it is still a nice neighborhood, and it is very affordable.

Added bonus, once you move here PM me and I will introduce you to your first hundred new friends or so. After that you are on your own.

I assume no kids and no serious g/f so it you are probably looking for a 2 Bdr at the biggest...where is your job going to be at? I think that is a big player in this.

If you like urban living try downtown...so many new places coming to market. Staying under 1k might be an issue. To me off street parking is key...you need it. I laugh at those thinking I-81 is bad...as others have posted there are alternative routes. I remember getting from North Syracuse to downtown in 10 mins as a kid.

It's out of his price range. Apts downtown start at about $1300 for a 1 bedroom.

Don't worry about the lack of interior pics--the grounds are PHENOMENAL, and the apartments are very, very nice. Not sure about their website [or wherever you researched them]--I guarantee you that it has nothing to do with trying to hide anything.

Lived at High Acres from 95-99, and back then the cost was only about $500 to rent a two bedroom. Amazingly, it was the nicest apartment I ever had--do yourself a favor and go check out the complex in person. I'm guessing you'll come away with a similar impression, even if you elect to live in a different part of town.

My youngest brother lived there for a couple years, too, in a nice duplex. It's very affordable.

I'd kill myself if I had to go through Lyndon Corners everyday. No thank you.

That would be the least significant reason anyone has committed suicide over in human history. :)

Of course people have different personal preferences (except the bit about Tipp Hill being too close to projects, that's just weird), but I can't imagine moving to a new city and not being walking distance from bars, restaurants, and everything else associated with everyday living.

But that's got a lot to do with where you're moving from. If you value those things, though, you're a bit handicapped by your (understandable) desire to not live amongst undergrads. The Hill is out, Westcott might be out (though I'd give it a look, just to be sure).

Downtown and Franklin Square are centrally located, Tipp Hill has a lot of young people and a good number of things to do. Eastwood, a little less so (though a decent number of young professionals seem to be buying in that neighborhood in the past couple years).

Interesting--I want to point out that my recommendation was based on living there more than a decade ago. Sounds like the new management / ownership group might not be as good as the old one was. If that's the case, apologies Ghost for potentially steering you awry.

I will say that back when I was living there, it was quiet as hell, the apartments / grounds were extremely nice and well maintained, and the rent was bafflingly low for all of the amenities. There were lots of young professionals living there when I was there--very nice atmosphere overall. Best of all: it was close to Kelley's, my favorite watering hole in the 'Cuse.

I'd advise that you go check it out and form your own opinion. But again, apologies if things have changed up there.

RF...My follow up with that link was meant as additional info for my original post about High Acres, hope you don't think I was questioning yours. I also suggested HA because I knew a couple of people who had lived there, and like you they liked it. Also like you it was a while back. I used one of my friends apartment a number of times and I thought the place was fine.

Both of us based the recommendation on similar experiences. I'm surprised that things have changed that much.

RF...My follow up with that link was meant as additional info for my original post about High Acres, hope you don't think I was questioning yours. I also suggested HA because I knew a couple of people who had lived there, and like you they liked it. Also like you it was a while back. I used one of my friends apartment a number of times and I thought the place was fine.

Both of us based the recommendation on similar experiences. I'm surprised that things have changed that much.

No worries whatsoever!

Cicero and Manlius are the worst. No infrastructure. Both places keep building without building roads. Awful traffic and terrible socially . Commuting on RT 92 and 31 is awful. Not LA or Tampa like but awful for Syracuse. If you swim in a pool in Cicero at dusk, be prepared to get a blood tranfusion. Mosquitos will carry you away. Stay away from those two areas and you'll be fine. Btw, Marsh is absolutely correct about Lyndon Corners. Good Luck and Welcome.