Moyer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Moyer

So the positive posts are high level coaches making observations?

Moyer looked great? Good? Passable? No, he looked awful.

Awful in the first half, and awful his first minute in for Marek. Solid the rest of the way though. And I'm by no means excusing him. I think the kid is over his head if he can't get out of his head during his time here. At this point, I think we have a 1200 page novel of grievances with this team. They aren't going away so no harm in trying to find the positive.

I feel like MSU is a team he could have some success against, especially if they go big. That will allow him to just focus on rebounding and garbage points that we will desperately need.

Just avoid 3 things:

No extended dribbling exhibitions.

Do not go towards the basket if the ball is in your possession and you have to start out from the perimeter. It's a travel everytime.

Layups do not need to be catapualted into the rafters.

I feel like MSU is a team he could have some success against, especially if they go big. That will allow him to just focus on rebounding and garbage points that we will desperately need.

Just avoid 3 things:

No extended dribbling exhibitions.

Do not go towards the basket if the ball is in your possession and you have to start out from the perimeter. It's a travel everytime.

Layups do not need to be catapualted into the rafters.

Agreed. They can be slow to react on the baseline. He needs to go strong and into the defender not try to avoid though. MSU should be another grinder which should definitely benefit us.

Closing out on a shooter and hiting one of two from the line are positives mentioned in this thread about his game.

That should tell us enough.

I'm rooting for the young man, as it helps our chances. But that sequence when he came in in that first half (as several have mentioned) was difficult to watch and wonderment of what did I just witness.

I just don't understand how a 6-7/6-8 guy as this level of college ball appears to have virtually no skill set whatsoever. How does a player like this end up at a P5 school? I know this is his first year in playing as a red shirt freshman, but he's been at the university for two years now, including two summers. What the heck is he working on from a skills standpoint these past two years? Unless he has some transformation, I just don't see how he'll ever see any serious minutes here. If he does, that likely doesn't bode well for us from a personnel standpoint. This is P5 ball at the highest level playing in the ACC, etc. Yes, he's trying and giving his best effort (I would hope so) but that should be a given as well at this level and being on a full scholly. I'm 100% miffed.

It is not helping him whatsoever that he's nervous to do anything. That being said, you've got to perform when opportunity knocks.

Long term he'll be fine as long as he doesn't get passed over.

he reminds me of ongenaet . . . not really high d1 skilled, but a ball of spastic energy that brings value off the bench

If he was a true Frosh this would all make more sense to me. He's so out of sorts on the court - even for a true Frosh I would shudder at some of his plays. At times I can't imagine he's not a walk-on just getting some run out of necessity. Nothing looks easy - that being said, seems like the board consensus is that he's a good kid, and I'm gonna keep on rooting for him! You never know when a hero is going to come out of nowhere - we've seen some great individual performances this tourney already, Oshae in Game 1, Marek in Game 2.....why not Matt in Game 3!?!?! :)

He wants to contribute so bad that he doesn’t do his job. He needs to remember the UCONN game where he got dump off and put backs. That is his game. Putting it on the floor doesn’t help this team. He isn’t good at it.

Same deal with his defense - he gets caught chasing the ball a lot, it looks like he's so anxious to make a play. Hope he takes something positive away from last night.

Some people expect too much too soon from Moyer. He’s on a freshman on the court and has battled injuries, his parents and Coach Boeheim in this seasons earlier debacle. He has shown flashes of a game good enough to play here and will only get better.

He did things that just do not show up in the box score. I'd be lying if I didn't say out loud to my buddy that we were screwed when he came in with six minutes to go. I'm glad I was wrong. 'Cuse needed him and he stepped up big.

Look at the progress Frank has made. I expect Moyer to make a huge leap next year. I hope that he can play on an international team this summer. He needs game experience.

Moyer probably should have been kicking his feet up and resting between rehab sessions for 2-3 weeks instead of 2-3 days after his ankle injury.

I don’t see how anyone can take a dump on a kid who’s so reliant on his athleticism at this point in his career. Just watch him any time he tries to take off sprinting from D to O. He has zero explosion.

So the positive posts are high level coaches making observations?

Moyer looked great? Good? Passable? No, he looked awful.
We were all killing him after his “performance” in the first half. This thread is an opportunity to give him credit for coming back and helping us get the win.

We know he struggled early. We know he didn’t have a great season. We know he has a long way to go. Stating the obvious doesn’t make you insightful. Throwing shade in a thread where everyone else is being positive doesn’t make you a realist.

We’re overachieving. We have a game tomorrow and UVA doesn’t. If you can’t appreciate and enjoy this moment, why do you even bother?

You’re as one-dimensional with your posts as JB is with his defense. Funny that.

He needs to pull his head out of his butt and I have to say our guards in general do. I understand Howard is sick but they need to be unreal to beat Michigan State
Bucknall gave them a run for their money. 82-78. Bucknell right there. We bring our unfamiliar long zone defense. We make a few shots. We are right there Cuse

He needs to pull his head out of his butt and I have to say our guards in general do. I understand Howard is sick but they need to be unreal to beat Michigan State
Bucknall gave them a run for their money. 82-78. Bucknell right there. We bring our unfamiliar long zone defense. We make a few shots. We are right there Cuse

I don't disagree the kid is nowhere near the level we need given our depth issues. He over thinks everything, and no doubt is more talented than his game reflects. He has some of the same mental yips Frank did and still does at times.

With that said, his fresh legs, hustle and defense in the last few minutes were pivotal. That close out was a small thing, but also the exact type of 3 we have seen teams beat us with all season in conference play.

For all of us who have played competitive sports , and had high expectations, it can be difficult to get out of our own heads, especially at that age and to the point motivation is lost. Moyer has been resilient and did some little things that we couldn't win without.
Several times during the game you saw JB giving Moyer instructions - teaching - on the bench. Moyer was listening intently. Despite his early struggles, he never lost focus. There was always a chance he’d get back in the game. He was ready and he delivered.

Roberson had more natural ability, but I think Moyer has a chance to develop into a better player. One of the reasons is he appears to be coachable. He also needs to get healthy.

he reminds me of ongenaet . . . not really high d1 skilled, but a ball of spastic energy that brings value off the bench
as long as he comes thru when we need him ...

To be fair, they were getting blown out and hit a bunch of threes at the end. Not unlike our game against Auburn in 2003.

Not entirely sure what i was missing that you all were seeing. He looked good on that one closeout on the 3, but very very shaky to outright lousy throughout the rest of his time on the floor.

TO preempt it. Not saying he is shitty or won't get better, but that was a C- performance last night at best

OK...so as a guy who was not enamored with him last game, I'll say his minutes so far this 1st half have been VERY strong. One of the best stretches I have seen from him.

Strong defense and a few blocks. Took a baseline J that came a little early in the shot clock, but it wasn't egregious. He also drew a foul or two.

He's going to need to play a bit in the second half -- let's hope he keeps it up.

Awful in the first half, and awful his first minute in for Marek. Solid the rest of the way though. And I'm by no means excusing him. I think the kid is over his head if he can't get out of his head during his time here. At this point, I think we have a 1200 page novel of grievances with this team. They aren't going away so no harm in trying to find the positive.
How can you have grievances. This team has so many faults, but they play as hard as any JB team that I can remember.
The basketball is nauseating, but the effort is a pleasure to watch.

I love Matt Moyer. No player in the last 10 years has taken more pride putting a Syracuse jersey on and representing our team. He has helped on recruiting trail and seems to be a major reason that this team has the chemistry it does off the court.

At the same time I see what I see. And I see a kid who isn't ready for this level of basketball. That doesn't mean I don't hope he eventually becomes ready. That doesn't make me a hater. It makes me realistic.

I mean, when Frank Howard fouled out we put in a walk-on instead of moving one of Oshae or Marek to guard. What else needs to be said? JB thought it made more sense to use a walk-on than to play a scholarship player out of position on defense so we could go to Matt.

Matt's best chances for becoming part of the rotation at some point in his career would be to start developing a back-to-the-basket game or moves that only require 1 or 2 dribbles. He's too uncoordinated to be do anything with the ball on the wing or up top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom