MSG's Big Decision | Syracusefan.com

MSG's Big Decision

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
Would MSG rather host the Catholic league hoops tourney EVERY March... or host the ACC tourney on an every-other-year basis? It might be possible for Swofford the sell the Carolina schools on an alternating tourney every other year between Greensboro and MSG. They will never agree to a permanent switch to MSG. Would have to be attractive to MSG. There would be no comparison attendance wise. The ACC sessions with SU, Duke, UNC, ND will be SRO. Outside of St. John's (in a good year) and maybe Nova who is going to show up?

I could see the ACC having the ACCT at MSG once every three years, tops.

Would MSG rather host the Catholic league hoops tourney EVERY March... or host the ACC tourney on an every-other-year basis? It might be possible for Swofford the sell the Carolina schools on an alternating tourney every other year between Greensboro and MSG. They will never agree to a permanent switch to MSG. Would have to be attractive to MSG. There would be no comparison attendance wise. The ACC sessions with SU, Duke, UNC, ND will be SRO. Outside of St. John's (in a good year) and maybe Nova who is going to show up?

Still think mega-conferences will change how bb tournaments are done in the future and they will figure out a way to make two sites work in the same year. It's not the conference getting together "rah, rah" thing anymore. It's a business.

Cheers,
Neil

ACC needs to go and own NYC. Grab MSG and Barclays. Keep Big 1G out.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
Yep. My thought exactly. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if Delaney hasn't already made inquiries. Lets hope Swofford has too.

No way that MSG is interested in a 2 or 3 yr cycle. It would have to make 2x or 3x times what they could make with every yr with the Big Priest conference tourney. I don't see them being able to make that much.

We see the ACC in MSG as a no-brainer, but i doubt most of the rest of the conference sees it that way. I don't expect to see the ACC in NYC any time soon. Maybe never. These are the same people who see Greensboro as the best option!

I've always enjoyed the BE tourney. The ACC tourney will become meaningless to me.

Like I said earlier in the week if you are MSG then you should try and get a roation of conferences. MSG is a big stage they do not want a B league tourny every year. At the same time they want a commitment for every year. So is it not in their best interests to call up the ACC and say we want you here every three years? Once they are signed go to the B1G and offer the same? Then once they are signed go to the C7 and get them?

Also would the C7 even want it yearly in NYC? If I were a C7 school I would want a 10 team conference of Catholic schools. That means you add three of Xavier, Dayton, Duquesne, St Louis, and Detroit. I would leave out Detroit (weakest team) and St Louis (as they are kind of an outlier). But no matter who makes up that 10 there will be schools wanting different things. PC will want Boston. Seton Hall would want Newark. St Johns would want MSG. Nova would want Philly. GTown would want DC. Marq and DePaul would want Chicago. So they might all decide that rotating the C7 tourny is best for all. I could see them doing Chicago, Philly, and MSG.

The B1G can go ahead an rotate Chicago, Indy, and MSG making everyone happy.

The ACC can rotate Greensboro, Atlanta, and MSG making everyone happy.

I could see the ACC having the ACCT at MSG once every three years, tops.
I suspect we'll see a one-off appearance sometime after 2015.
The results of that tournament and further re-alignment developments will determine if NYC might become a regular (every 4-6 years) part of the tournament rotation.

Actually if the ACC ever wants to be considered anything more then a good old boys conference, they need to have their basketball championship every other year in New York and Atlanta. The big cities are where all the media is, the ACC needs to grow up and realize they have schools up and down the east coast, plus 2 from the mid-west. If they can't realize that most of their problems, are the feeling having tournaments in North Carolina just enforces the view that North Carolina runs the conference. We just got out of a conference where the good old boys of providence ran the show to the detriment of everyone.

dream on. no way the ACC is coming to NYC every other year. you all wanted out of the BE. well this is one consequence.

dream on. no way the ACC is coming to NYC every other year. you all wanted out of the BE. well this is one consequence.
Not sure I get this statement. Are you saying you would prefer to be in UConn's current position?

The way your statement was worded, it seems as if you didn't want to go to the ACC. True?

No way that MSG is interested in a 2 or 3 yr cycle. It would have to make 2x or 3x times what they could make with every yr with the Big Priest conference tourney. I don't see them being able to make that much.

We see the ACC in MSG as a no-brainer, but i doubt most of the rest of the conference sees it that way. I don't expect to see the ACC in NYC any time soon. Maybe never. These are the same people who see Greensboro as the best option!

Greensboro is their history and tradition. We're joining them, they're not joining us. I hope it gets moved to MSG or Barclay's at least on rotation, but the ACC has an even deeper tradition and greater basketball success that the Big East and I think we should respect that. (Not saying that you don't respect it, just as a general proposition)

Greensboro is their history and tradition. We're joining them, they're not joining us. I hope it gets moved to MSG or Barclay's at least on rotation, but the ACC has an even deeper tradition and greater basketball success that the Big East and I think we should respect that. (Not saying that you don't respect it, just as a general proposition)

Oh, I understand why they play in Greensboro. To them it makes sense. Too me, it's small time. I have traveled through most of the cities in the US, and Greensboro is okay, but nothing great. Charlotte or Atlanta would be better cities to host a tournament, but, honestly, most of the schools don't travel well for bball.

I honestly would love to see SU have huge support at their first ACC tournament. I think it would be an eye opening experience for most of the league. It would be awesome to see a sea of SU orange and chants of LGO! It would make them wonder what they got themselves into. Especially if SU were to win it the first year.

Oh, I understand why they play in Greensboro. To them it makes sense. Too me, it's small time. I have traveled through most of the cities in the US, and Greensboro is okay, but nothing great. Charlotte or Atlanta would be better cities to host a tournament, but, honestly, most of the schools don't travel well for bball.

I honestly would love to see SU have huge support at their first ACC tournament. I think it would be an eye opening experience for most of the league. It would be awesome to see a sea of SU orange and chants of LGO! I would make them wonder what they got themselves into. Especially if SU were to win it the first year.

I can't agree more. I'm going to do everything I can to make it to that first ACC tournament. Truly think we're going to be the most hated school in the ACC by the end of our first season. Aside from Duke, UNC and Pitt the ACC schools are going to be shocked at how many fans we bring to their arenas. I guess you can put NC State in that group since they experienced it last year. We really are an obnoxious fan base that has no issue going into your house, putting our feet up on your couch, have sex with your wife in your bed while you make us a sandwich and then drink all your beer and leave the mess for you to clean up.

They will hate us in short order.

This is a really fun thread from the St. John's board after we had about 75-80% of MSG in February:

http://redmen.com/1x/forum/4-redmentalk/17831-things-that-bugged-me-about-today-s-syracuse-game.html

ACC has moved its tournament around for many years. Greensboro, Atlanta, Charlotte, DC and a few others.
However, Greensboro is the prefered location by far. It is scheduled there for the next 3 years.

Greensboro is preferred, because they get the best crowds there. Altanta & DC are too far away for most of the fans, and honestly, most of Atlanta doesn't care about GT. Nobody in DC is going to care soon enough, either, with MD leaving. Not sure why Charlotte doesn't draw well, it seems like it should.

But, having said all that, as I said previously, Greensboro is small time.

In addition, your never going to build a decent following if you keep moving a tournament around. It needs to stay in one place. It needs to put down roots. People need to know they can set up their reservations to the same place year after year. People are creatures of habit.

The ACC tournament is almost certain to be a side show, at best, as it always has been.

Unlike the BE tournament that has taken on a life of it's own.

I live in ACC territory, and nobody down here even cares about the ACC tournament.

"There were some St. John's students in front of us today (or so we thought) who came in a group of about 5 or 6, all wearing red and ready to root for us so it seemed. A few minutes into the game one of the so-called St. John's student takes off his red STJ shirt and throws it on the chair to reveal his orange SU t-shirt. Someone asked him about & one if the guys still wearing red said that they needed to do that so he could get into the student section with them. They brought SU fans with them disguised as STJ fans until they got to their seats. Unreal"

Hahahahaha.

ACC tourney needs to be in MSG every year, but I doubt they'll do it.

ACC tourney needs to be in MSG every year, but I doubt they'll do it.
Every year? Really?

10 of the 15 schools in the conference will be in VA, NC, SC, GA & FL and you believe that the tournament should be held in NYC every year?

After a trial run at some point after 2015 they'll judge whether or not NYC would be a viable candidate for the tournament rotation. If all parties like the option then the absolute most frequent occurrence of an NYC tournament location would be every 3 years. I expect at least half of the tournaments to be staged in NC. Given that premise, it could be held in NYC every 4-6 years. If the traditional ACC membership is not impressed by the trial run it could be a once-a-decade rotation.

It's simply not realistic to expect a permanent relocation of the event to NYC... no matter how great the BET was.

lets just be clear that if the ACC ever plays the tourny in NYC...its in the Garden.

and would NOT be in brooklyn.

i think a rotation is inevitable for MSG, hopefully the ACC gets in on the act, for youve got to believe the C7 and likely the b1g are already eyeing it.

id also be surprised if the b1g looked at newark.

MSG is the play here.

Oh Lord

I can't agree more. I'm going to do everything I can to make it to that first ACC tournament. Truly think we're going to be the most hated school in the ACC by the end of our first season. Aside from Duke, UNC and Pitt the ACC schools are going to be shocked at how many fans we bring to their arenas. I guess you can put NC State in that group since they experienced it last year. We really are an obnoxious fan base that has no issue going into your house, putting our feet up on your couch, have sex with your wife in your bed while you make us a sandwich and then drink all your beer and leave the mess for you to clean up.

They will hate us in short order.

This is a really fun thread from the St. John's board after we had about 75-80% of MSG in February:

http://redmen.com/1x/forum/4-redmentalk/17831-things-that-bugged-me-about-today-s-syracuse-game.html

Good thing about SU is anywhere basically on the east coast and we will have great fan support. SU bball fans are the greatest in the country and always show up strong.

lets just be clear that if the ACC ever plays the tourny in NYC...its in the Garden.

and would NOT be in brooklyn.

i think a rotation is inevitable for MSG, hopefully the ACC gets in on the act, for youve got to believe the C7 and likely the b1g are already eyeing it.

id also be surprised if the b1g looked at newark.

MSG is the play here.

Oh Lord

Agreed...go big or go home.

The new ACC needs to realize the biggest BB powers/fan bases are:
NC Mafia (UNC, Duke, and the Redhead Raleigh stepchild)
Old BE (Cuse, Pitt and Ville)

The ACC needs to realize this...support it embrace it.

At worse MSG every third year. Better yet over 5 year cycles: 2 yrs MSG, 2 yrs Greensboro, 1 yr in Charlotte or ATL
Swoffie needs to talking to the MSG Boys about doing it the year after Greensboro ends.

Greensboro is preferred, because they get the best crowds there. Altanta & DC are too far away for most of the fans, and honestly, most of Atlanta doesn't care about GT. Nobody in DC is going to care soon enough, either, with MD leaving. Not sure why Charlotte doesn't draw well, it seems like it should.

But, having said all that, as I said previously, Greensboro is small time.

In addition, your never going to build a decent following if you keep moving a tournament around. It needs to stay in one place. It needs to put down roots. People need to know they can set up their reservations to the same place year after year. People are creatures of habit.

The ACC tournament is almost certain to be a side show, at best, as it always has been.

Unlike the BE tournament that has taken on a life of it's own.

I live in ACC territory, and nobody down here even cares about the ACC tournament.

Most of Atlanta doesn't care about anything in the sports world. Notoriously bad sports town (were it not for the existence of Miami, it might be the worst major league sports town). Managed to lose two NHL teams. Draws flies for the Hawks.

I don't know why the ACC would bother going down there. They couldn't sell out Turner Field in October when the Braves were winning pennants. College hoops fans won't be showing up in droves for anything other than a Final Four or a Kentucky game.