MSG's Big Decision | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MSG's Big Decision

The ACC Isn't leaving tobacco road anytime soon! It's a southern basketball league and we are in the minority now, With Maryland leaving we are even more so. I would be shocked if the ACC put. a tournament in New York City every five years! If they were smart they would lock up MSg And make it there full-time home for their tournament. 7 Of the teams are former Big East teams and have played at MSG for the tournament In the past. Now that the C7 are leaving the Big East, The ACC needs to jump on this now

I think many SU fans are in for a shock come next year. To most ACC fans NYC is not a desired location to visit. Hank Jr summed up southerners opinion of NYC in a song very eloquently..."Send me to hell or New York City, it's just about the same to me." The ACC tourney may come to NYC some day, but to think that it would want to, and it would only want to go to MSG, not Barclays, is egocentric. It may surprise some people to know that much of the rest of the country feels about NYC the way New Yorkers feel about New Jersey. As someone intimated in this thread, SU is joining the ACC. The ACC is not joining Syracuse. Syracuse tradition does not mean squat to the rest of the ACC. The ACC teams think they are going to NYC everytime they have to play in the East Regional at the Meadowlands. I would love to see the ACC tournament played in NYC every few years and yes it would probably be good exposure and make fiscal sense to do so. It will be a hard sell to the ACC fanbases though.

I think many SU fans are in for a shock come next year. To most ACC fans NYC is not a desired location to visit. Hank Jr summed up southerners opinion of NYC in a song very eloquently..."Send me to hell or New York City, it's just about the same to me." The ACC tourney may come to NYC some day, but to think that it would want to, and it would only want to go to MSG, not Barclays, is egocentric. It may surprise some people to know that much of the rest of the country feels about NYC the way New Yorkers feel about New Jersey. As someone intimated in this thread, SU is joining the ACC. The ACC is not joining Syracuse. Syracuse tradition does not mean squat to the rest of the ACC. The ACC teams think they are going to NYC everytime they have to play in the East Regional at the Meadowlands. I would love to see the ACC tournament played in NYC every few years and yes it would probably be good exposure and make fiscal sense to do so. It will be a hard sell to the ACC fanbases though.
The entire motive of conference realignment is $$$$$.
If the ACC decides that a tourney in NYC translates into more $$$ from the networks & the gate, then they'll make the necessary changes.
And, if not NYC then Atlanta, or maybe Charlotte, even Miami/Tampa. The days of Greensboro as the primary venue are numbered, NC-centric conference or not...its just practical.
A headlining ACC Tournament in NYC would OWN cbb for that week.

The entire motive of conference realignment is $$$$$.
If the ACC decides that a tourney in NYC translates into more $$$ from the networks & the gate, then they'll make the necessary changes.
And, if not NYC then Atlanta, or maybe Charlotte. The days of Greensboro as the primary venue are numbered, NC-centric conference or not...its just practical.
A headlining ACC Tournament in NYC would OWN cbb for that week.
My only counter to your point is that the fans watching on TV could care less where the games are being played.

Dead on balls accurate!

I think they're going to do their best and try and have the tournament in NYC at least a few times, because it would be quite the coup for them, but I also agree that it's going to take a while, if it ever happens, to get it up here every year or even every other year. It's a southern league, as has been pointed out, and it's really a Carolina league. That will definitely change a little with the new blood coming in but it's going to take a while.

It will be interesting, because of the Carolina schools, I'm sure Duke would be in favor of it, since they have a pretty big presence in this area.

I think they're going to do their best and try and have the tournament in NYC at least a few times, because it would be quite the coup for them, but I also agree that it's going to take a while, if it ever happens, to get it up here every year or even every other year. It's a southern league, as has been pointed out, and it's really a Carolina league. That will definitely change a little with the new blood coming in but it's going to take a while.

It will be interesting, because of the Carolina schools, I'm sure Duke would be in favor of it, since they have a pretty big presence in this area.

People keep saying it is a Southern league but it really isn't anymore. Look at the 15 teams and it doesn't say Southern.

People keep saying it is a Southern league but it really isn't anymore. Look at the 15 teams and it doesn't say Southern.

I agree with that, and I alluded to that in my post. I think it will be a process of changing the league. The power axis of the league now is very much with the Carolina schools, and obviously thats mainly Duke and UNC. That's going to change with Pitt, SU, Lville, and ND.

My guess is the ACC tournament is played in NYC in the next 5-7 years.

Even with the new entrants, 2/3 of the schools are south of the Mason Dixon line
two in Florida
one in SC, one in Georgia
four in NC
two in VA

Kentucky was a contested state, but had a representation in the Confederate Congress and the Confederate Army controlled the state for the early part of the war, so maybe Louisville is considered a Southern school as well.

Against those 11 are
1 in MA
1 in NY
1 in PA
and half in/half out Notre Dame

looks like a southern league to me

You have Florida St, Clemson who feel the North Carolina group controls the ACC, they need for the sake of perception to get the tournament out of North Carolina. You have 2 teams from the Midwest, 2 from Florida, 1 from Georgia, 1 from South Carolina, 3 from the northeast, the other 6 are from Virginia, and North Carolina. The most TV sets are outside the beltway, if the area is so great why does the NBA have such problems in Charlotte and Washington?

You have Florida St, Clemson who feel the North Carolina group controls the ACC, they need for the sake of perception to get the tournament out of North Carolina. You have 2 teams from the Midwest, 2 from Florida, 1 from Georgia, 1 from South Carolina, 3 from the northeast, the other 6 are from Virginia, and North Carolina. The most TV sets are outside the beltway, if the area is so great why does the NBA have such problems in Charlotte and Washington?

Both NBA teams aren't good and that is why.

When the Charlotte Hornets had Mourning, "GranMaMa" Larry Johnson, Dell Curry, and Mugsy Bogues, they had a great following.
Same with the Panthers when they got to a Super Bowl.
Put a winning product on the field and they will come.

looks like a southern league to me

Location alone does not give a school a South will rise again and hate the North mentality. That is so silly that anyone can argue this. Instead of spewing dumb talking points why doesn't someone take a look into who would be for and against the ACCT being played in MSG. When you do so you see that there are more for than against.

Oh and how about the fact that the ACCT has been in DC and that the friggin ACC commish (an UNC guy) mentioned MSG himself? :crazy:

why doesn't someone take a look into who would be for and against the ACCT being played in MSG. When you do so you see that there are more for than against.

I'm willing to bet the non Carolina schools would be happy if the thing was never played in the state of North Carolina again

Saw this on FtT. Some of these guys have pretty good sources, but no idea how accurate this is.

"I’m interested in what may become of conference tournaments in Madison Square Garden. From what I’ve read, MSG and the ACC had mutual interest; however, MSG wanted the ACC to commit its tournament to an annual, fairly long term contract. The ACC wanted the site of the tournament to rotate. Thus, there was no agreement to an ACC tournament in MSG.​
Now, however, MSG may have reason to rethink things. The Football Big East almost certainly would not be capable of selling out the Garden, not with just UConn and Temple as the only members within an ten hour drive. The Catholic 7 (& co.) would have a fair number reasonably close schools, but no sizable fan base representing big state or private schools. No Syracuse. No UConn. No Notre Dame. No West Virginia. No Pittsburgh. No Louisville. No Cincinnati.​
So, rather than asking a conference that may not provide substantial support for an annual tournament (C7, FB Big East) to commit, or asking a league that doesn’t want its tournament there every single year (ACC), why shouldn’t MSG look to rotate which leagues are there in a given year?"​

The reason you have the ACC tourney in MSG *every* year is, a) continuity, and b) keep the other conferences out of NYC. I don't agree that the ACC is a southern league. Clemson and FSU would love to stick it to the Carolina schools. Miami is a northern school that just happens to be in Florida. Virginia is turning into a northern-esque state.

The reason you have the ACC tourney in MSG *every* year is, a) continuity, and b) keep the other conferences out of NYC. I don't agree that the ACC is a southern league. Clemson and FSU would love to stick it to the Carolina schools. Miami is a northern school that just happens to be in Florida. Virginia is turning into a northern-esque state.

But why do you need to have it in one spot every year? That actually could hurt attendance. If you are a fan of ACC school X then would you rather go to Atlanta, Charlotte, and New York once every three years or go to one of those every year? As a fan wouldn't a little variety make the trip more enjoyable? You don't want the location to become stale to a fan. If SU wins the ACC in FB every year then the Orange Bowl becomes a lot less enjoyable. Also using those three spots keeps most schools happy. Atlanta (Clemson, GA Tech, FSU), Charlotte (Clemson, Wake, UNC, Duke, NC St), and NYC (Duke, SU, ND, BC, Pitt). I think it should be kept to 2 or 3 sites but if they also added DC (SU, ND, Pitt, UVA, VT) then that covers every school.

dream on. no way the ACC is coming to NYC every other year. you all wanted out of the BE. well this is one consequence.
The BE left SU before SU left the BE.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure why people have the blinders on when it comes to what states are considered in the south but here's the breakdown

South
Miami
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Wake Forest
Duke
North Carolina
NC State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville

North
BC
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Notre Dame

If you think the Yankees in the north have any say you are dreaming!

Oh, I understand why they play in Greensboro. To them it makes sense. Too me, it's small time. I have traveled through most of the cities in the US, and Greensboro is okay, but nothing great. Charlotte or Atlanta would be better cities to host a tournament, but, honestly, most of the schools don't travel well for bball.

I honestly would love to see SU have huge support at their first ACC tournament. I think it would be an eye opening experience for most of the league. It would be awesome to see a sea of SU orange and chants of LGO! It would make them wonder what they got themselves into. Especially if SU were to win it the first year.

Greensboro is not okay. It is an absolute dump of a city.

can you just imagine the outrage had say louisville or miami come into the big east and asked if we could alternate tourney sites between nyc and somewhere closer to their fanbase???? what the hell are you people thinking????
do you have the audacity to show up late for a dinner invitation at a neighbors house and then bitch to the host about how the food and music and ambience are so much better at your place?
the ACC has it's own ways and traditions and we have to graciously and thankfully accept them. MOVE ON!

can you just imagine the outrage had say louisville or miami come into the big east and asked if we could alternate tourney sites between nyc and somewhere closer to their fanbase???? what the hell are you people thinking????
do you have the audacity to show up late for a dinner invitation at a neighbors house and then bitch to the host about how the food and music and ambience are so much better at your place?
the ACC has it's own ways and traditions and we have to graciously and thankfully accept them. MOVE ON!

My god. The ACC already rotates the ACCT. We are not talking about changing things. You are not arguing apples to apples here. The BET was in NYC every year. It didn't rotate. If it did then UL or Miami would have an argument. Second there are a large number of ACC schools with NE connections. It isn't like we are BC in 2005. In that case you have a point as they were an outlier. But when more ACC schools have NE connections than ACC schools who do not, it is silly to pretend that isn't the case. Again care to explain for the friggin ACC commissioner was the first one to mention MSG? Not SU fans. :crazy:

Swofford mentioned playing in MSG 3 seconds after we were invited. If you don't think he has his eyes on holding his conferences tourney in the capital of the world, then I can't help you. The tourney will be held in NY, and will be done so in relatively short order.