Mt. Rushmore of Dome games | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mt. Rushmore of Dome games

I remember this game well. Thanks for posting. I must say, I found myself getting pissed all over again at Nunes as if the game was live. And my my how things never seem to change! Of course we had the typical key injury (Reyes), dumb passes, missed kicks, brain dead penalties, and blown coverages. But, we also had heroes (Tyree and Rhodes), amazing defensive plays, and pulled out a nail biter. Everything SU football encompassed in one very thrilling game. Man, I’m emotionally exhausted.

And did I mention the uniforms? ;)

I'd offer that in a vacuum, this VT/2002 game was the best singular game in the history of the Dome.
So many ups and downs. It was not the biggest game consequentially, although beating No. 7 VT is nothing to sneeze at. For those too young, do yourself a favor and watch these extensive highlights:

I think that was either the last year or second to last year my dad and I had season tickets. We were like 3-7 or something heading into that game and it made the whole season. Man we had some crazy games with Virginia Tech in the dome. Everyone remembers McNabb to Brominski but that game was just about as zany getting to the final play.

In both cases the 2 hour ride back north was a lot of fun listening to the post game and listening to the other exhausted and elated fans calling in.

Mt. Rushmore is 4 and I'll limit myself to close games: 1) Going 11-0 vs. West Virginia in 1987; 2) Three OT win over Villanova in the 1981 Big East Final; 3) Bye Bye John Thompson game; 4) McNabb to Brominski.
1. Penn State - 1987 - It's not even close for me; (2) Florida - 1991 - The Gators were outcoached, and outclassed - Dar Dar!; (3) Miami - 1991 - Heartbreaking, but what a game; (4) WVU 1987 - Wow.

Honorable Mention - 1998 Va Tech. So much fun! Edit- 1984 - Nebraska - How could I forget that game - the beginning of the MacPherson/Pasqualoni era.

Obscure - But Memorable - Never really discussed or mentioned. Notre Dame - 2003 - The season considered a bust - Pasqualoni and DeLeone on the hot seat - National TV - the Orange blows out the Irish and Walter Reyes has a game for the ages.

Last edited:
1. Penn State - 1987 - It's not even close for me; (2) Florida - 1991 - The Gators were outcoached, and outclassed - Dar Dar!; (3) Miami - 1991 - Heartbreaking, but what a game; (4) WVU 1987 - Wow.

Honorable Mention - 1998 Va Tech. So much fun!

Obscure - But Memorable - Never really discussed or mentioned. Notre Dame - 2003 - The season considered a bust - Pasqualoni and DeLeone on the hot seat - National TV - the Orange blows out the Irish and Walter Reyes has a game for the ages.

We didn't play U of Miami in 1991. I'm sure you meant the 1992 game - and you are right about it!

WVU was 1987, but you ain't wrong. That one and McNabb to Brominski (The Vomit Bowl I call it) are definitely two for me.
i've been to a lot of games but i don't ever remember the fans exiting the turnstiles happier than that game.

That damn nc state game still haunts me. McNabb threw an 80 yd td first play from scrimmage. Coming off the Ron Great Dayne beatdown the week before. Ugh.
I still remember the gut punch feeling of watching the 2-pt. conversion. Sucked the life out of me.

i've been to a lot of games but i don't ever remember the fans exiting the turnstiles happier than that game.

I don't remember turnstiles but I remember a lot of happy exits from the Dome.

I remember being a good Samaritan and directing Nebraska fans in '84 around telephone polls so they didn't walk into them on the way back to Manley.

I still remember the gut punch feeling of watching the 2-pt. conversion. Sucked the life out of me.
The Ron Dayne game was the happiest Syracuse moment. Was back on campus for my senior year, weather was great…opening weekend on campus

If you could make that into a scented candle
….

The Ron Dayne game was the happiest Syracuse moment. Was back on campus for my senior year, weather was great…opening weekend on campus

If you could make that into a scented candle
….
Kevin Johnson’s kickoff return was electric!