Mullin out at St. John’s / Mike Anderson hired

Frozen

All American
I don’t think Mullin is cut out to be a college recruiter and coach. I know he does not draw up plays in the huddle.

shandeezy7

All American
I know ASU isn't exactly a powerhouse, but it's still a state school, so I was surprised to learn that up until last year, Hurley was making considerably less than Mullin.

SWC75

Bored Historian
I noticed Mullin wasn't running the huddle immediately. i thought he was just hired for name value and the assistants were running the show. :oops:

But they did a good job- we couldn't beat them. :mad:

Zelda Zonk

Hollywood Liberal Elite Globalist
I just emailed this thread to my friend who bleeds St. John's and is sorta connected. Simple reply:
"He is gone."

Sudano

2nd String
Eh, just because most of these insecure control freak coaches out there couldn’t possibly let go enough to let an assistant talk to the team in the huddle for 20 seconds, doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with what Mullin did there.
The question for me is that the exception or the rule. It came across as the rule, Mullin looked so disengaged and fake tieing his shoes for a loooong time. What did the assistant say that Mullin couldn't.

Alsacs

I am statboy because I use stats to form opinions
Mullin is a figurehead coach. Hurley going to St. John’s would be his way of getting a new job before he is fired from his current one.

Steve Alford did this when he was at Iowa he went to New Mexico before he got fired from Iowa.

OrangeDW

Living Legend
The question for me is that the exception or the rule. It came across as the rule, Mullin looked so disengaged and fake tieing his shoes for a loooong time. What did the assistant say that Mullin couldn't.
Perhaps.

Even if it is the norm, I still don’t think there’s necessarily something wrong with it.

Who says the head coach has to do all the talking? Ultimately it’s his name on the program, but how he chooses to utilize his staff is up to him.

I remember people said that Larry Bird was just a figurehead coach for the Pacers, but they went to the finals so whatever their setup was, it was working.

St. John’s has been getting better and had a decent year this year.

Alsacs

I am statboy because I use stats to form opinions
Perhaps.

Even if it is the norm, I still don’t think there’s necessarily something wrong with it.

Who says the head coach has to do all the talking? Ultimately it’s his name on the program, but how he chooses to utilize his staff is up to him.

I remember people said that Larry Bird was just a figurehead coach for the Pacers, but they went to the finals so whatever their setup was, it was working.

St. John’s has been getting better and had a decent year this year.
Larry Bird was kinda a figure head coach Dick Harter was responsible for the defense and was why Indiana did well.
That Pacers team was very veteran as well. Bird did a good job treating them like adults and letting Harter coach the D.

Top Bottom