MWC, C-USA to form new conference | Syracusefan.com

MWC, C-USA to form new conference

that means.....WE'RE OUT!!

well, at least for the 13 season, which is where most of us had figured it would be.

and i would guess for 5mm only...if even that.

I heard they want to call it: The National Conference

Seriously

The Even Bigger Mess than the Big East Conference

The Even Bigger Mess than the Big East Conference

I don't think you're right in either case.

I think it is becoming more and more clear that for TV revenue purposes, national exposure is desired.

That is why the Big Ten and the Pac 12 have established a relationship - more exposure - more eyeballs.

Again, I think many on this board fail to recognize that the Big East is doing what a lot of other programs see as the future - national exposure with inter-regional games.

So, I don't see the BE as a "mess" and I don't see the National Conference as a "mess."

I think it is becoming more and more clear that for TV revenue purposes, national exposure is desired.

That is why the Big Ten and the Pac 12 have established a relationship - more exposure - more eyeballs.

Again, I think many on this board fail to recognize that the Big East is doing what a lot of other programs see as the future - national exposure with inter-regional games.

So, I don't see the BE as a "mess" and I don't see the National Conference as a "mess."
but OrangePA, nobody on gods green earth would want to subject themselves to 3hours of shlitty football or basketball with those teams.

their tv slate will be like the oprah networt...everybody has it, nobody wants it...nobody watches it.

Oh Lord

Look, there's two ways to create media value when it comes to conferences:

Quality
Quantity

The SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12, Big 12 and ACC deliver both.

The New New Big East and the CMUWSA fall almost entirely in the "quantity" bucket at this point.

I mean that's OK, it's better than nothing. But it really is silly to pretend it's part of some visionary strategy. Both conferences are reactive messes desperately trying to scrounge up a few media bucks. But hey, they're better off than the MAC or Atlantic 10. So you know, there's that.

---------------

The challenge the Big East and new whatever conference will be facing from a TV payout perspective is whether those teams/matchups generate interest to fans beyond the schools themselves: or whether the uneven quality and lack of geographical connection have a negative impact, that repels potential viewers, fans and recruits.

Will there be one or more top 10 or top 20 teams that create a benchmark for how competitive the conference is? Can the conference schools win OOC games against high profile teams.

In general, the schools of these conferences are not great universities and the key question is whether they can field great football teams.

One significant problem will be that with the major conferences playing 9 games, there will be less opportunity for matchups against high profile teams. Additionally, 9 conference games will mean the member schools will increasingly be defined by their conference matchups.

A second significant problem may be a loss of an automatic tie-in to a major top tier bowl.

A third problem is with national and regional coverage of games, the Big East will be competing with the top tier schools and conferences for viewers.

With respect to the Big East:
a) USF and UCF are huge state schools in their own distinct region of FL and should be able to attract talented players: however they will also be competing against ACC and SEC and other programs for recruits.
b) SMU and Houston are in a strong talent area, but will be recruiting against a huge number of schools.
c) RU and UConn are also large state schools, but they are likely to be hurt by the loss of northeast schools like SU and Pitt as members of the Big East, with replacements like San Diego State, Memphis and others. Beginning in 2013, Big East football will have only 2 northeast universities. How will that impact recruiting?
d) If Air Force joins with Navy, that will be a major positive.

The initial key test will be to see what kind of TV deal the new Big East ends up with, what kind of media coverage and what high profile OOC games they can play and win.

I think the "How Did It Ever Come to This" Conference has a nice ring to it.

Quality
Quantity

The New New Big East and the CMUWSA fall almost entirely in the "quantity" bucket at this point.

I mean that's OK, it's better than nothing. But it really is silly to pretend it's part of some visionary strategy. Both conferences are reactive messes desperately trying to scrounge up a few media bucks. But hey, they're better off than the MAC or Atlantic 10. So you know, there's that.

I think what you're missing is the Big Ten-Pac 12 deal.

There is need for more quality with the two conferences.

The idea is to expose the product to more eyeballs.

I have said it before, I have a friend in the infomercial business. It's certainly not about quality - tht seems pretty obvious in the infomercial business - it's about exposing the product to as many eyeballs as possible.

That appears to be the strategy right now in college football.

Quality
Quantity

Exactly. The BE and Whatever conference simply become filler for Mon-Wed and Fri. That's it.

I might be the only one, but I still kind of liked the idea of combining the remnants of the Big East, Conference USA and the Mountain West all combining into one massive conference with 4 geographic regions. At the end have a 4 team playoff. While the quality of football would not be the greatest, they could at least potentially be putting out a product that is somewhat unique (for now) and I think that would attract TV watchers, at least more than the 2 separate products that these conferences are going to put out there. Plus, it could create some regional rivalries instead of having these conferences overlap each other geographically. I think it really is a case of if you don't have the quality, then go with quantity and go big enough to make yourself a unique enough product that people might actually tune in. Sadly, I think the Big East would never do this because somehow, they still think they're above something like this.

Take a page from Prince, and just go with a symbol for a name. Here's my suggestion:
confusing_signs5.jpg

I think what you're missing is the Big Ten-Pac 12 deal.

There is need for more quality with the two conferences.

The idea is to expose the product to more eyeballs.

I have said it before, I have a friend in the infomercial business. It's certainly not about quality - tht seems pretty obvious in the infomercial business - it's about exposing the product to as many eyeballs as possible.

That appears to be the strategy right now in college football.
well, youre kinda contradicting yourself. more eyeballs is certainly key when it comes to tv deals, but the b1g and pac12 have been the hatfields and mccoys of college football for over a 100 years. and now they just guaranteed each athletic dept a great nonconf game every year. the fact that tv is giddy over it and me in NYC is going to watch more than a few of those games is a bonus.

i sincerly doubt that either conference is worried that their product wont be viewed by the masses on a stand alone basis.

the bigleast and the sdsu-storz game is going to have that problem, whether or not the game is on tv on both oceans.

well, youre kinda contradicting yourself. more eyeballs is certainly key when it comes to tv deals, but the b1g and pac12 have been the hatfields and mccoys of college football for over a 100 years. and now they just guaranteed each athletic dept a great nonconf game every year. the fact that tv is giddy over it and me in NYC is going to watch more than a few of those games is a bonus.

i sincerly doubt that either conference is worried that their product wont be viewed by the masses on a stand alone basis.

the bigleast and the sdsu-storz game is going to have that problem, whether or not the game is on tv on both oceans.

Again, I think you're missing the point.

The Big Ten and Pac 12 have no need to improve the quality of their product.

What they are trying to do is expand their TV market.

And that's what the BE and the National Conference are now trying to do.

You're missing the point. Doesn't matter how big the TV market is if the quality of the product sucks and no one wants to watch it.

well that may be what they are trying to do, but the fact remains...nobody cares.

its as simple as the motel 6 v the ritz. if the price is the same, (free, just a remote control click) you are going to stay at the ritz (b1g, pac12, ACC, SEC etc).

well that may be what they are trying to do, but the fact remains...nobody cares.

its as simple as the motel 6 v the ritz. if the price is the same, (free, just a remote control click) you are going to stay at the ritz (b1g, pac12, ACC, SEC etc).

I wish you were right. I wish quality and integrity were the hall marks of college football.

If I were king of the world, there would be no BCS, we would have no college NC game and we would go back to the traditional New Years Day bowls and strong independents like SU, Penn State, WVU and Pitt.

But if you watch TV these days - and take a close look at college football uniformes for instance - quality is pretty much a non-factor.

The idea in TV nowadays is to produce inexpensive "reality" based content.

And, college sports is really nothing more than reality TV.

So, the conferences are now trying to leverage their revenue not with quality but by extending their product to as many eyesballs as possible.

You're missing the point. Doesn't matter how big the TV market is if the quality of the product sucks and no one wants to watch it.

That's where you're wrong.

People watch TV - even if the "quality" is not there.

And people watch college football regardless of who is playing.

Why do you think we see MAC games all week?

Because nobody is watching???

No. It is presented to us because people are watching.

That's where you're wrong.

People watch TV - even if the "quality" is not there.

And people watch college football regardless of who is playing.

Why do you think we see MAC games all week?

Because nobody is watching???

No. It is presented to us because people are watching.

If people watched MAC games, they'd be on ABC or ESPN every Saturday at 7 PM ... not on Versus Wednesday night.