MWC, C-USA to form new conference | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MWC, C-USA to form new conference

well that may be what they are trying to do, but the fact remains...nobody cares.

its as simple as the motel 6 v the ritz. if the price is the same, (free, just a remote control click) you are going to stay at the ritz (b1g, pac12, ACC, SEC etc).

But lucky for the Sun Beast and The National Dreck Conferences both can sell their schlitt to CBS College Sports, Versus or Whatever it is called now and Oxygen. You pay $100 a month to hear Vince telling us about his nuts in an infomercial...now you can watch 3 hours of SMU at SDSU on some tiered channel at 10pm on Friday Night. Good Times.

If people watched MAC games, they'd be on ABC or ESPN every Saturday at 7 PM ... not on Versus Wednesday night.

MAC games are on ESPN.

I watch them all the time and I don't watch Versus - now the NBC Sports Network.

I think what you're missing is the Big Ten-Pac 12 deal.

There is need for more quality with the two conferences.

The idea is to expose the product to more eyeballs.

I have said it before, I have a friend in the infomercial business. It's certainly not about quality - tht seems pretty obvious in the infomercial business - it's about exposing the product to as many eyeballs as possible.

That appears to be the strategy right now in college football.
So, you're saying that it's not about quality. Does that mean that given a choice, as many people would want to watch Rutgers-San Diego St or East Carolina-Nevada as would want to watch Alabama-Auburn or Ohio St-Michigan? I usually understand your arguments, OPA (although I don't understand the undying love for the BE). But this time the argument just seems silly. I understand the need for inventory. But if that inventory sucks and will not draw eyeballs, it's like that tree that fell all by itself in the forest. Did it really make a sound?

So, you're saying that it's not about quality. Does that mean that given a choice, as many people would want to watch Rutgers-San Diego St or East Carolina-Nevada as would want to watch Alabama-Auburn or Ohio St-Michigan? I usually understand your arguments, OPA (although I don't understand the undying love for the BE). But this time the argument just seems silly. I understand the need for inventory. But if that inventory sucks and will not draw eyeballs, it's like that tree that fell all by itself in the forest. Did it really make a sound?

I think you're missing the point.

This is not about "quality."

Yes, of course, a game involving Ohio State or USC or Alabama is going to be a more attractive game for avid college football fans than one involving Bowling Green or UTEP.

That's obvious.

And that's okay. Those games will always be hyped games that attract intense college football fans.

I have never suggested that the BE will somehow dominate the Big Ten or the Pac 12 or the SEC.

My discussion has nothing to do with those power conferences.

My discussion deals with the new TV strategy that is emerging in college football and the strategy that the BE is pursuing. It's just smart and it recognizes the importance in access to eyeballs.

The BE is now going to have access to a number of large markets - Houston, Dallas, San Diego, Memphis, Orlando et al. That access will necessarily enhance the value of the TV package - not because the teams are great, but because the markets that those teams serve have a lot of eyeballs.

And, while the quality of the product can be very important, when the TV markets are small - Alabama and South Carolina - ESPN is willing to invest in teams like Bowling Green and other MAC schools for weekday games on TV, because even without the hype the thirst for the game is such that those games still attract a lot of eyeballs. A MAC game or a BE game during the week is cheap content that draws viewers and advertising dollars - maybe not mega dollars, but apparently enough to satisfy the most powerful force in TV. Indeed, although hype would be great, I'm pretty sure that ESPN is content that the lack of SEC or Big Ten or Pac 12 hype for those MAC games does not make the produce not profitable. Clearly such games are profitable. And so ESPN is willing to pay for those games. What matters is that it is cheap content that draws an audience.

What the conferences are trying to do now is to expand their geographic coverage - so that there are even more eyeballs interested in the games played by their teams. So, the BE's idea of expanding nationally affords it greater TV leverage because there are more potential eyeballs available to the conference match-ups.

That's the value in what the BE and the new "National Conference" are doing - and with what the Big Ten and Pac 12 are now doing. Greater access to more eyeballs is the driving force in college football in my opinion.

And, again, the mere fact that I respect what the BE is trying to do, does not mean that I have a "love affair" with the conference. And it does not mean that I am not loyal to SU Football.

Somebody said here recently and I can't agree more.

Just because somebody says something positive about an opponent or an old conference does not mean that the observer is somehow a turn coat.

I can respect my opponent without "having a love affair" with the opponent. And, I can respect the strategy that the BE is pursuing without "having a love affair" with the conference or without being disloyal to my team.

On this board, it seems, if it involves an opponent, the knee jerk reaction is to hate and to denigrate. And with respect to the BE, the reaction is to hope for its destruction.

I just don't get that kind of thinking.

OPA, that was the most coherent response I've read from you on this topic. Sorry, don't mean to sound patronizing, but I've never been able to quite figure out what you mean when we've had these discussions. Now I do.

What I'll say is that I wouldn't necessarily call this a "new strategy", rather it's a continuum of what the BE started in 2004. Back then I was told, by someone's who opinion is important, that in adding UL, Cincy, USF, DePaul & Marquette the BE did "the best they could". They grabbed the best available teams and expanded into new markets. And I'd argue that what they've done the past few months is similarly the best they could.

My personal issue with the BE is that they have never done quite enough proactively. This latest round is clearly reactive. Getting TCU was proactive, but in typical BE style they didn't go far enough. They couldn't snatch away Kansas & Kansas State from the B12 (I know why they couldn't, but they still couldn't), they didn't have the foresight to offer Boise State a football-only membership then, when they could have increased the value of the media offer they were getting. Etc.

But we agree that the BE will survive. I don't necessarily think they'll "thrive" but they'll muddle along OK enough.

That's the value in what the BE and the new "National Conference" are doing - and with what the Big Ten and Pac 12 are now doing. Greater access to more eyeballs is the driving force in college football in my opinion

here is where you lose me. the b1g-pac12 agreement shouldnt be included in your arguement. they both already have eyeballs, and those eyeballs will follow them wherever they may play. by pitting themselves up against each other every year, it also saves on trying to find another nonconf game. their respective Champions will already duke it out in the Rose, this is just an extension of that competitive alliance.

the bigeast is driving to get more eyeballs, to have the option to watch them, and thats smart, but at the end of the day...nobody will watch unless its the only game on at midnight.

That's where you're wrong.

People watch TV - even if the "quality" is not there.

And people watch college football regardless of who is playing.

Why do you think we see MAC games all week?

Because nobody is watching???

No. It is presented to us because people are watching.

Why do I feel like I'm hearing Jerry and George discussing why people will watch their Pilot.

Jerry: I still don't know what the show is about
George: It's about nothing
Jerry: So why are people watching it?
George: Because it's on TV

Why do I feel like I'm hearing Jerry and George discussing why people will watch their Pilot.

wish you had posted this on monday.

wouldve saved us all alot of time and effort. OPa has clearly taken up the George position.

here is where you lose me. the b1g-pac12 agreement shouldnt be included in your arguement. they both already have eyeballs, and those eyeballs will follow them wherever they may play.
How many B1G fans stay up late to watch PAC-12 games? The B1G-PAC matchups are intended to increase interest in the other conference's teams. They're working on building pseudo-rivalries. If that were to catch on, I suspect that they (and the TV people) hope/expect that some B1G fans will watch more PAC games than they do today... and vice versa. Cross promotion, cross conference brand building. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't.

That's the value in what the BE and the new "National Conference" are doing - and with what the Big Ten and Pac 12 are now doing. Greater access to more eyeballs is the driving force in college football in my opinion

here is where you lose me. the b1g-pac12 agreement shouldnt be included in your arguement. they both already have eyeballs, and those eyeballs will follow them wherever they may play. by pitting themselves up against each other every year, it also saves on trying to find another nonconf game. their respective Champions will already duke it out in the Rose, this is just an extension of that competitive alliance.

the bigeast is driving to get more eyeballs, to have the option to watch them, and thats smart, but at the end of the day...nobody will watch unless its the only game on at midnight.

Yes, but the Big Ten-Pac 12 are establishing a relationship to increase the eyeballs.

You're right.

People watch TV.

And that's what matters.