My .02 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

My .02

In theory you are 100% correct but you now have multiple coaches under more than a 1 year contract. Obviously Dino being one of them but the DC/OC/ Qb coach would all have to be bought out if they were to move on from Dino after this season. So that would be 4 coaches. Dino at 5-7 will be back next year. I can almost guarantee that, you don't get two coaches the quality of Anae and Beck on a 1 year deal. They both had too many options because they are in fact proven commodities. People need to remember this and Wildhack actually doubled down for the most part. These coaches on offense didn't just wind up at Syracuse because they liked Dino and were desperate for work. They knew the score and the situation. Personally, I think we will win 7 so not worried.

Now could they let Dino go and shuffle the deck? Maybe Fire Dino, Anae maybe retires after 1 more year, Beck moves to OC/ QB coach and White is your new HC. I doubt it though, recruiting seems to be gathering momentum and I doubt they move on from Dino after this year considering the financial commitment they have made to his staff.

Yup exactly, there is very very little chance that we move on from Dino and company after this season.

It literally would have to be an 0-12 season for us to do that.

Next season, 2023 is the final season and 6/7 wins will be the absolute bare minimum bar

Yup exactly, there is very very little chance that we move on from Dino and company after this season.

It literally would have to be an 0-12 season for us to do that.

Next season, 2023 is the final season and 6/7 wins will be the absolute bare minimum bar

and it really should happen. I expect to get 6-7 this year but at the end of the day we will have to wait and see

I'm good with this and next season for Dino. The coaching staff additions have been great and we should see results. This season's schedule is awful, but I want them to be competitive and in the games.

It assumes that most of our schedule is what it is, and saying we’re “bugs against a windshield” is silly if we consider ourselves a P5 program.
It’s absolutely leaving out a huge piece of info to describe all of the ACC teams as static. Our ACC slate in 2017 was really tough and was considerably easier in 2018.

It’s right that we don’t have a choice in who we play in the ACC and that we are peers with them and should be measured against that. It’s just worth noting that not all ACC slates are the same.

I'm going to challenge people from now until September re: the schedule. So don't take it personally. But we're essentially playing one game we'd prefer not to this season.

The ACC schedule is the ACC schedule. The 6 division games + Pitt don't change. That is our reality.

The cross-over is an early home game against a thoroughly mediocre UVA, who is breaking in a completely new staff. That's about as kind as it's gonna get.

OOC features 2 automatic wins.

Since we always play 1 P5 OOC game, obviously the game we'd probably like to reschedule is Purdue, since we also are obligated to play ND.

Aside from that 1 game, this schedule is pretty much par for the course for us, given our conference affiliation and alignment.

I'm not making excuses for it or blaming the schedule makers.

We need to figure out how to win at least 4 ACC games per year. That shouldn't be asking much, the rest will take care of itself.

But it is sort of an unfortunate coincidence that the 8 peer-ish teams on our schedule (all but ND, Clemson, Wagner, UConn) all return multi-year starting QBs that have been really good. Them's the breaks, I get it.

Wouldn't want to be in Wildhack's shoes after another 4-5 win season, if it comes to that. You know that you have a proven group of assistants, but what if you don't have the right captain steering the ship? Hard to just replace that piece.

I'm not making excuses for it or blaming the schedule makers.

We need to figure out how to win at least 4 ACC games per year. That shouldn't be asking much, the rest will take care of itself.

But it is sort of an unfortunate coincidence that the 8 peer-ish teams on our schedule (all but ND, Clemson, Wagner, UConn) all return multi-year starting QBs that have been really good. Them's the breaks, I get it.

Wouldn't want to be in Wildhack's shoes after another 4-5 win season, if it comes to that. You know that you have a proven group of assistants, but what if you don't have the right captain steering the ship? Hard to just replace that piece.
Pitt is starting over at OC and QB.

Pitt is starting over at OC and QB.

Asterisk I guess, but he's a talented 3 year FBS starter that we play later in the season. Whipple is a big loss.

It's Pitt though, and it's on the road, so I'm gonna go ahead and pencil it in as a loss. It's been 21 years since we've won there.

The "rivalry" is remarkable in my lifetime (which started in 1973). Pitt won 11 in a row. Then we won 16 out of 18 (1 tie and a Pitt win by a TD). And now they've won 17 of 20. Our wins in that stretch were double OT, 1 point win, 3 point win.

We clearly can't have nice things at the same time.

It’s absolutely leaving out a huge piece of info to describe all of the ACC teams as static. Our ACC slate in 2017 was really tough and was considerably easier in 2018.

It’s right that we don’t have a choice in who we play in the ACC and that we are peers with them and should be measured against that. It’s just worth noting that not all ACC slates are the same.
Of course not all schedules are the same. I'm not saying that.

I'm saying that it is what it is. And, again, the post that likened our schedule to a bug hitting a windshield is preposterous.

But I know how this goes. We'll hear "...but the schedule!!!" if we go 5-7 again.

I'm saying that it is what it is. And, again, the post that likened our schedule to a bug hitting a windshield is preposterous.

But I know how this goes. We'll hear "...but the schedule!!!" if we go 5-7 again.
Eh - if the ACC is up combined with playing ND? Yeah that’s tough. But it might be so-so with ND.

Feel like looking at things preseason, 6 wins and bowl is very much a fair expectation for 2022.

I’m with ya that “it is what it is” = unavoidable reality

It isn't a gauntlet like some are making it out to be. But the Purdue game makes zero sense, never did make sense. It is the difference from this team being a sure fire Bowl team, and an on the bubble Bowl team.

It isn't a gauntlet like some are making it out to be. But the Purdue game makes zero sense, never did make sense. It is the difference from this team being a sure fire Bowl team, and an on the bubble Bowl team.
Agreed. I have no idea what we get out of playing them.

Asterisk I guess, but he's a talented 3 year FBS starter that we play later in the season. Whipple is a big loss.

It's Pitt though, and it's on the road, so I'm gonna go ahead and pencil it in as a loss. It's been 21 years since we've won there.

The "rivalry" is remarkable in my lifetime (which started in 1973). Pitt won 11 in a row. Then we won 16 out of 18 (1 tie and a Pitt win by a TD). And now they've won 17 of 20. Our wins in that stretch were double OT, 1 point win, 3 point win.

We clearly can't have nice things at the same time.
It’s crazy how it’s so lopsided over stretches between us and Pitt. I think it’s safe to say beating them is a top priority every year. They are currently the football school we aspire to be, in a similar-ish northeastern market. We need to beat them more plain and simple. This year is a great year to do so, because we will need to pull in these type of games to become bowl eligible with our schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom