My board name makes it obvious, but... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My board name makes it obvious, but...

Awesome.

Two things: #1, Pearl really knew how to finish using glass.

Yes!

I wish we still had players who, as a rule, used glass. They would finish more consistently.

...while watching the 'Requiem' documentary last night I was literally almost in tears (of joy/nostalgia/awe) during the Pearl sequences. Hearing the reverie of people like Tranghesie, Pinckney and Mullin, and gazing upon the video. Oh lord, the video. He was, and remains, the most electrifying basketball player I've ever had the pleasure of watching.
Pearl Washington, ladies and gentlemen. Pearl Washington.

:)
Pearl slithered through defenders with the ball on a string like no one I have ever seen before or since, and the man could finish in any number of ways. He was an absolute joy to behold.

I remember his announcement with Al McGuire at halftime of the NBC game of the week (had to be DePaul, they were on every Saturday back then). My avatar is a photo I took of Dwayne at SU Media Day at Manley his Freshman year (I was about 14). Hard to describe, he just had "it". Never knew what you were going to see next. Most unique and exciting player I can remember. He did play to the lights though. If there was one negative about his college days, it was consistency. Still my fave...
That's awesome, MGP - I was going to ask about your avatar, so cool it's your own photo of Pearl!

Reactions: MGP
He had an interesting dribbling style. He dribbled the ball way forward, like he was walking a dog or running with a yo yo. What other players would you compare his dribbling style to? I can't think of any modern players that he reminds me of.

...while watching the 'Requiem' documentary last night I was literally almost in tears (of joy/nostalgia/awe) during the Pearl sequences. Hearing the reverie of people like Tranghesie, Pinckney and Mullin, and gazing upon the video. Oh lord, the video. He was, and remains, the most electrifying basketball player I've ever had the pleasure of watching.
Pearl Washington, ladies and gentlemen. Pearl Washington.

:)
Oh gosh this was about 10-12 maybe oh hell maybe 14 years ago. (Now that I think of it it was before 9/11) I was flying from St Louis to Syracuse. Had to change flights in Pittsburgh. Sitting in the Pittsburgh airport I saw someone who looked like Pearl. I kept looking and dang it was him! I didn't want to bother him so didn't say anything. During the flight I had to fight the urge to get up and say, 'Hey!' So when the plane landed in Syracuse, I made sure to gather my stuff quickly. As I was leaving he was still in his seat. I said, 'Hey Pearl!' He flashed a big smile. He signed my boarding pass. (Why yes I had a pen handy.) ;) I still have it.

Awesome.

Two things: #1, Pearl really knew how to finish using glass.

#2, for those wondering about how good his handle was, check out how he busted the vaunted Georgetown defense, shredding them at both ~3:50 mark and the 4:50 mark.

Unbelievable.
I remember Len Berman being giddy like a school girl announcing those games. Good memories.

Pearl was definitely a great, electrifying individual player, no doubt.

But for as good as he was, he never made it past the SW16, had no jump shot, and was a terrible pro.

Give me Sherman Douglas over Pearl 9 times out of 10.
All I will say is I wish Pearl had one season with the talent Sherm played with, especially DC. That being said Sherm did have a better NBA career as opposed to Pearl...and who knows if the brain tumor had anything to do with that? Anyways, I'm just glad they both went to SU!

Pearl is my all-time favorite player, he was special. As Opus mentioned, Sherm had a lot more talent around him than Pearl did. I'm thankful for those that played with Pearl but it would've been nice to have Coleman, Seikaly, Owens, and Thompson on those teams too. Pearl's NCAAT record was 3-3. Without Perkins, Worthy, Wood, and perhaps Black, Jordan's NCAAT record was 3-2.

And I don't care what Pearl did in the NBA, that has nothing to do with his time at SU. I wish he would've had a better pro career but it didn't happen.

Last edited:
Opus said:
Oh gosh this was about 10-12 maybe oh hell maybe 14 years ago. (Now that I think of it it was before 9/11) I was flying from St Louis to Syracuse. Had to change flights in Pittsburgh. Sitting in the Pittsburgh airport I saw someone who looked like Pearl. I kept looking and dang it was him! I didn't want to bother him so didn't say anything. During the flight I had to fight the urge to get up and say, 'Hey!' So when the plane landed in Syracuse, I made sure to gather my stuff quickly. As I was leaving he was still in his seat. I said, 'Hey Pearl!' He flashed a big smile. He signed my boarding pass. (Why yes I had a pen handy.) ;) I still have it.

It must be a really nice pen.

I remember being at a music video shoot in 1995, and I saw Shammgod and Marbury. I told Marbury that I had hoped we would come to the Cuse and that I was sorry he was going to GTech. Shammgod said, "Cuse don't make no pro guards. Look at Pearl."