My email to Mark Coyle | Syracusefan.com

My email to Mark Coyle

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
Obviously don't think this had any bearing on his decision-Who knows if he even read it? I never heard back from him. But in the slight chance anyone is interested, this way my email to him 11/23/15.

Mr. Coyle,

Thank you for making the difficult, but necessary move to bring in a new Head Coach. I am a huge SU fan and am sure you have certain names in mind for the position. I just wanted to put in a plug for Dino Babers. He runs a very exciting offense, and most importantly, has demonstrated proven Head Coaching success at both turning around a team at the FCS level and having remarkable success at the FBS level the past 2 years. His Offense would light up the Dome and bring in the fans. He is an Art Briles disciple, who turned around Baylor and showed that a private school without recent success could play with anybody in the country and be incredibly exciting at the same time. Please due your diligence on him and other similar guys who have shown HC success at the FBS level

Thanks and looking forward to your continued success!

Dear Mr Passion,

I’m sorry my response never reached you. Damn internet is all.

You’ll never know how much you helped.

Once my first choice, Chris Ash, spurned SU for that school somewhere in the swamps of Jersey, and then we couldn’t get Edsall, I started checking emails from syracusefan.com posters, and learned about Dino from your message.

I’m eternally grateful as it may be my greatest credential as an AD.

Sincerely,
Mark Coyle

Dear Mr Passion,

Once my first choice, Chris Ash, spurned SU for that school somewhere in the swamps of Jersey, and then we couldn’t get Edsall, I started checking emails from syracusefan.com posters, and learned about Dino from your message.

Sincerely,
Mark Coyle

P.S. Do you know a good moving company?

Wow. Cool.

Since we’re sharing, my letter to Syracuse University that I hired a firm to retranslate to electronic mail. Not sure they received it or anything but who knows?:

Dear Sir:

What an incredible journey Roy Danforth has taken us on!

While I am sad to see him go, I highly recommend the whippersnapper James Boeheim. He is a Syracuse lad and his plaid jackets and whining are just what the program needs. He is a disciple of Lyons, NY and I think that in an era of extremely short shorts, he will help Syracuse and Manley Field House be the toughest place to play for the next eighty years.

Please take him out for a smoke and golf game. He really represents the values of my employer Carrier, and it would be great to see both lead Syracuse into Northeast prominence.

Wow. Cool.

Since we’re sharing, my letter to Syracuse University that I hired a firm to retranslate to electronic mail. Not sure they received it or anything but who knows?:

Dear Sir:

While I am sad to see him go, I highly recommend the whippersnapper James Boeheim. He is a Syracuse lad and his plaid jackets and whining are just what the program needs. He is a disciple of Lyons, NY and I think that in an era of extremely short shorts, he will help Syracuse and Manley Field House be the toughest place to play for the next eighty years.

Please take him out for a smoke and golf game. He really represents the values of my employer Carrier, and it would be great to see both lead Syracuse into Northeast prominence.

I was trying to work up a response from Les Dye, but I'm afraid that would be disrespectful, since he is no longer with us.

I will share that I once interviewed Les, and he was making a point about something -- probably Manley Field House -- and he referred to it as a "Rube Goldberg" operation -- I had no idea what he was talking about.

I think I said, "Rube...umm...how are you spelling that sir?"

And Les had the biggest laugh, and that's how I prefer to remember him.

He had already hired Jim Boeheim.

Dear Mr Passion,

Sincerely,
Mark Coyle
This may shock you, but I actually put my real name and not Orangepassion. Just to throw him off

Wow. Cool.

Dear Sir:

I should hope the pony finds you well.

1536965409513.jpg

You should of proofread it if you’re going to send it to him. I see an error .

Last edited:
Since we're at it, I found a copy of an old email I sent to Dr. Gross following P's firing.

Dear Dr. Gross,
I am writing to mention a name that may not be on your Head Coaching radar. Have you heard of Greg Robinson? He is currently the defensive coordinator for the defending National Champion Texas Longhorns. He also was the defensive coordinator for the Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos.
Sure he has no head coaching experience, but I'm sure he has some kind of master motivational techniques up his sleeve to whip this bunch into shape. For instance, I hear he's fond of reading motivational children's stories to the guys at halftime. I mean who ever thought of such a thing. This guy clearly thinks outside the box.
So he has no cache in our most important recruiting areas. He's from Texas, so I'm sure we'll just start new pipelines. After all everything is bigger in Texas.
We can no longer suffer through 5,6, and 7 win seasons. Let's take a chance on this guy. We certainly can't get any worse.

P.S. Have you thought about a new way to market the Syracuse brand? We should really focus on selling Syracuse as New York City's college team. Just a thought.

Wow. Cool.

Through the miracle of email, I found mine as well:

Dear JB:

I hope you don't mind me calling you that but I was walking by a basketball court in Baltimore this summer and saw this one kid Carmello somethingorother playing ball. The kid seemed pretty good. Now I'm not a talent scout or anything like that but, you might want to look into this.

Sincerely,

Nostradamus II

Here's mine,
Dear Mr Sports...Spartz.....spoartz.
Dear Ben, Come take a look at this Jim Brown kid. I think he will be able to kick extra points for you.
Thanks STO

You should of proofread it if you’re going to send it to him. I see an error .
I also saw it after I posted it here. Do you think it's too late for me to edit it and resend it?

I wrote a letter to Crouthamel once:

Dear Jake,
Bum a smoke? Left mine on the shuttle.

Sincerely,
A lifelong dedicated SU fan

I did not get a response...
Believe it or not, but back in the day I sent him a few emails and got responses. The same with Gross.

my Ode to Coyle, never sent but posted a few places on the webz:

lyrics below, sung to:

the squirming Coyle of AD
we had within our reach
then he chose to get away
to a place that has no beach

I saw Doc Gross on the beach
trying to call a ray
his phone's weren't quite the speed of light
and the squirming Coyle
douche got away...

~
the B1G flex the income ring
proves that contract cash is king
the ACC's a crooked street
ND joins, rebirth's complete

Dino can make this whole point moot
he doesn't run the run and shoot
hot chicks and an Otto suit
college kids will root taboot

I'd like to kick Coyle's ass some day
Like UNC, he will not pay
now he wears a shade of brown
how long again till he skips town

ELf the Hoyas
UCONN failed
I think Naes will go to jail
Wildhack will make his stamp
time for Jimmy to run his camp

Believe it or not, but back in the day I sent him a few emails and got responses. The same with Gross.

I've read several posters over the years with stories about Jake responding to emails so I'll give him credit for that.

Gross responded to me too. I think thanked him for the Marrone hire. I liked that hire. Unfortunately, he missed on the 2 other FB coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom