My favorite Troy Nunes play - '99 at Pitt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My favorite Troy Nunes play - '99 at Pitt

And if I remember correctly, the crowd breakdown at the Music City Bowl was about 40K Kentucky fans, and 40 Syracuse fans.

I was one of those. Did not meet a single KY fan during the entire time who had actually attended UK.

Not sure about the Fiesta, I was watching in a bar at on New Year's Eve in Boston and everything is a bit hazy from that night. I think we had a decent enough turnout in Miami though. I mean SU is never, ever going to be sending 25K to a southern bowl, so our measure of traveling well is just simply different than the behemoth schools from the south and midwest. I seem to recall hearing that we had ~15K for the Orange, that seems about right for us.

I recall a pretty good turnout for the Fiesta although the KSU fans certainly outnumbered us.

I will say this, it's clear that in recent years the SU following to away hoops games has grown considerably. I think SU fans have kind of "gotten it" when it comes to traveling and supporting their team. Granted, the SU hoops program has been kind of awesome for the past few years, and that's really the driver.

But if SU football were to get back to the level of success we had in our glory years of 1987-2001 I suspect we'd have even better road/bowl turnouts than we did previously.

I will say this, it's clear that in recent years the SU following to away hoops games has grown considerably. I think SU fans have kind of "gotten it" when it comes to traveling and supporting their team. Granted, the SU hoops program has been kind of awesome for the past few years, and that's really the driver.

But if SU football were to get back to the level of success we had in our glory years of 1987-2001 I suspect we'd have even better road/bowl turnouts than we did previously.

Part of that is venue driven too. 5,000 SU fans in a football stadium won't look or sound like much. 5,000 SU fans in a basketball arena are impossible to ignore.

We don't have the exponential uplift that comes with football fan travel. There just aren't as many of us. Many state schools are churning out about 15k more football fans each year.

I just randomly came across this on YouTube and thought I'd share. Who else was at this game? I remember sitting near Madei Williams' parents.

Nunes was an amazing player - he had many brilliant moments, and, of course, some very poor moments - Michigan in the Dome always comes to mind.

But nobody got as much out of their god-given ability than he did.

He was a truly special player and I admired him a lot.

nunes had the misfortune of following mcnabb and not being named vick, but he clearly is better than what we have witnessed for the last 10 years.

fwiw: i liked the numbers on the helmet.

nunes had the misfortune of following mcnabb and not being named vick, but he clearly is better than what we have witnessed for the last 10 years.

fwiw: i liked the numbers on the helmet.

Does this mean that Chokey McPuke gets his name back now that he's no longer wearing green?

I think the Tech game in the Dome involved one of those "off the back foot from the end zone" interceptions, wiping out an Elway-esque first-half (and a great game by the defense) and snatching defeat from the jaws of upset victory. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores100/100295/100295415.htm#RECAPS

Also P and D totally botched a golden opportunity when SU blocked a VT punt with about 1:30 left in the 1st half, leading 14-3. They ran into the line 3 times to set up a FG for the very shaky kicker whose name I forget that by that point in the season had proven that anything beyond 40 yds. was a crapshoot. He predictably missed. A 21-3 deficit may have been too much for VT with the way Freeney was playing that night.

Also P and D totally botched a golden opportunity when SU blocked a VT punt with about 1:30 left in the 1st half, leading 14-3. They ran into the line 3 times to set up a FG for the very shaky kicker whose name I forget that by that point in the season had proven that anything beyond 40 yds. was a crapshoot. He predictably missed. A 21-3 deficit may have been too much for VT with the way Freeney was playing that night.
Mike Shafer I think

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

mostly remember all the negative "serpen-teen" scramble yardage that dude racked up.

Does this mean that Chokey McPuke gets his name back now that he's no longer wearing green?
No. In order to do that, he'd actually have to WIN a big game and not choke it away while puking after not bothering to study the playbook and do conditioning drills.

No. In order to do that, he'd actually have to WIN a big game and not choke it away while puking after not bothering to study the playbook and do conditioning drills.

Sounds like VT '98 to me, but point taken...

That was a great night for the Orangemen. First year post-McNabb, coming in to a national prime time Thursday night game at 4-1 with just that close loss to Michigan. Hype about how our 2-headed QB situation was actually working well.

Then a week later we played Virginia Tech and the whole season went to .

Was that the game bullock i believe said the orange were going to make Vick " look like a freshman". And then we went on to lose 60-0?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom