My First Look at This Years Team..... | Syracusefan.com

My First Look at This Years Team.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
It was a game where we were trying to climb uphill the entire way. We finally got a lead and then a total fizzle. Gotta put some blame for that on Jimmy, it was obvious the team needed a pause to be able to close the game, and he did not call TOs.

The positives:

1. Huge improvement in Guerrier's confidence and three point shot. He appears to have taken a big step forward. Right now he is our best player.

2. Richmond - plays calmly and unselfishly. It will be criminal if he doesn't start and get as many minutes as his conditioning allows. Very impressed with his D and how he sees the floor. he needs to get a little more aggressive in looking for his own shot, that will come.

3. Griffin - He had 3 or 4 out of control shots, but he lead the second half resurgence, exhibited athleticism, the ability to create, and showed grit off the glass. A little refinement in shot selection and a few fewer TOs and he can be our star and best player..

4. Newton - He should have gotten some more run. He has the potential to be an instant O type of guy. Previously, I had tabbed him my biggest wildcard in a thread and got laughed at, now he has real potential to be that guy.

5. Marek - Steady and solid, showed good ability to limit his fouls when he had to. He just doesn't have the body to play the 5 for long stretches. Looks like a more in control version of what he did last season.

The negatives:

1. Team badly misses Sid against any foe that has a strong center. Hope he makes it back on schedule, but how long until he can regain his end of last season form ?

2. Girard - he is taking lots of flak. His shooting and shot selection is just awful right now. He had a couple of big misses that killed our run. At least he had some assists. Got to place some of the blame on Jimmy for not cutting his minutes. Griffin could swing to the backcourt and let Newton get some more run. Getting Buddy back should help a lot in reducing Joe's role.

3. The D - again we cant find their best player and hot hand. Why does this happen game after game ?

4. The glass - combine no Sid, and overall lack of big bodies, and the difficulties of rebounding out of the Zone and it was ugly out there.

5. Free Throw shooting - I was amazed to see in the final stats that we were at 70%. It just felt like we made one and missed one all game long, especially when those points felt important.

At least you can see several positives.
The play in the first half was pretty bad, but the team rallied to cut the lead. They out played Rutgers in the second half until the 5 minute mark. Bad ending obviously, but reason for hope.

Kadary, Newton, even Ajak, will get better. This was the first competitive game when these 3 had roles.
Buddy will be back.

I still say Griffin got going when Kadary got going. His early chucks (in the game and in the shot clock) were just as detrimental as anything Joe did. Both guys need to rein in the hero ball/NBA reel stuff.

With Griffin it's 'NBA stuff'. With Joe it's Glens Falls stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom