My idea to fix to the ACC divisions | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My idea to fix to the ACC divisions

I don't understand why the 9-game ACC schedule didn't hold. As someone posted above, that's the real problem here. A 9 game schedule solves all of these problems.
You would have one conference game annually against your designated "Rival" then rotate the other 12 teams into the 8 open spots year by year. In a 4 year period, you would play everyone both home and away. What am I missing? Who is blocking the 9-game conference schedule?

I don't understand why the 9-game ACC schedule didn't hold. As someone posted above, that's the real problem here. A 9 game schedule solves all of these problems.
You would have one conference game annually against your designated "Rival" then rotate the other 12 teams into the 8 open spots year by year. In a 4 year period, you would play everyone both home and away. What am I missing? Who is blocking the 9-game conference schedule?
FSU

The schools that have annual instate rival games with SEC teams like FSU, GT, Clemson, and now Louisville wanted 8 games because it made it very difficult to keep 7 home games playing a 9 game Conference schedule along with their instate rival.

Also, the ACC has interest in keeping hope that Notre Dame might join eventually. There is no hope of this with 9 games. It's a long shot at 8, but at least it's a shot.

The schools that have annual instate rival games with SEC teams like FSU, GT, Clemson, and now Louisville wanted 8 games because it made it very difficult to keep 7 home games playing a 9 game Conference schedule along with their instate rival.

Also, the ACC has interest in keeping hope that Notre Dame might join eventually. There is no hope of this with 9 games. It's a long shot at 8, but at least it's a shot.

Florida State plays FSU as a in-state game. Cannot count Miami, as they are a conference game. That still leaves FSU two games to schedule at home. If ND joins, the conference would have to go to an 8/8 split anyway, or three pods of 5. So they might end up back at 8 conference games then anyway.

Florida State plays FSU as a in-state game. Cannot count Miami, as they are a conference game. That still leaves FSU two games to schedule at home. If ND joins, the conference would have to go to an 8/8 split anyway, or three pods of 5. So they might end up back at 8 conference games then anyway.
ALL4,
Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech didn't want 10 games automatically scheduled(Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, South Carolina-Clemson) for them that would eat up 5 home and 5 road games. Thus, at best they could gotten 7 home games, by having 8 conference games those schools can schedule 7 home games a lot easier, and some years even have 8 home games to make more money. The ACC relented on 8 games from 9 because FSU/Clemson cashed in political capital. Syracuse allegedly voted with FSU/Clemson bloc.

ALL4,
Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech didn't want 10 games automatically scheduled(Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, South Carolina-Clemson) for them that would eat up 5 home and 5 road games. Thus, at best they could gotten 7 home games, by having 8 conference games those schools can schedule 7 home games a lot easier, and some years even have 8 home games to make more money. The ACC relented on 8 games from 9 because FSU/Clemson cashed in political capital. Syracuse allegedly voted with FSU/Clemson bloc.

Thanks. I now feel edumacated on the inner workings of the ACC.

Thanks. I now feel edumacated on the inner workings of the ACC.

I imagine the ACC will go to 9 conference games when all of college football goes to 13 regular season games.

That's coming, not sure how soon, but I'm sure of it. Once realignment is done there's only one other way to squeeze more media dollars out of an existing deal...create more inventory.

I imagine the ACC will go to 9 conference games when all of college football goes to 13 regular season games.

That's coming, not sure how soon, but I'm sure of it. Once realignment is done there's only one other way to squeeze more media dollars out of an existing deal...create more inventory.

Oh no...that's not possible. The NCAA will NEVER go to a 13 games schedule. Just think of the student/athletes. That would be MUCH too much for them. They'll never go for a 12 th game. They'll never go for a conference championship game. They will never go for a playoff.
Oh wait...

Agree with you. It's just a matter of time. Preseason games...13...14...game schedules...8 or 12 team playoffs...it's all coming.

Florida State plays FSU as a in-state game.
So, you're saying FSU plays with themselves? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Oh no...that's not possible. The NCAA will NEVER go to a 13 games schedule. Just think of the student/athletes. That would be MUCH too much for them. They'll never go for a 12 th game. They'll never go for a conference championship game. They will never go for a playoff.
Oh wait...

Instead of just allowing divisional champions play an extra game in December, the NCAA could allow everyone to play an extra game. Everyone in one of the divisions schedules an open home date, the other division gets an open away date. Seed the teams, and everyone is playing for "place" in the conference standings.

Instead of just allowing divisional champions play an extra game in December, the NCAA could allow everyone to play an extra game. Everyone in one of the divisions schedules an open home date, the other division gets an open away date. Seed the teams, and everyone is playing for "place" in the conference standings.

We have enough games. An eleven game season, and a playoff with bowl games was sufficient. Stupid money!

if there going to rework the divisions this would my preferred setup:

atlantic----------------------------coastal
florida state-----------------------miami
Clemson---------------------------Louisville/Virginia
Georgia tech----------------------Virginia tech
NC State---------------------------North Carolina
Wake Forest-----------------------Duke
Boston College---------------------Virginia/Louisville
Syracuse----------------------------Pittsburgh

You're insane if you think Rutgers was the bigtens first choice.
Bigger TV markets than any school located in the Carolinas. Not insane, you are delusional if you think Rutgers has no value

Bigger TV markets than any school located in the Carolinas. Not insane, you are delusional if you think Rutgers has no value

Upstate NY is as big or bigger than NJ. Also, Syracuse gets fan support in NYC and LI, Rutgers gets nothing from those areas. Just pointing out that Rutgers was NOT likely the first choice. Besides, GA ranks 9th, NC 10th and NJ 11th in state populations with VA at 12th. All four schools would easily be ahead of Rutgers in the B1G selection process.

Rutgers lucked into their B1G slot and they wisely jumped at it before the B1G could reconsider. Hopefully t hey use the B1G $$$$ to pay their AD debts and stop taking student fees to cover their failed program. Ironically, the B1G offers Rutgers a national stage to prove they have no fan support. Their largest fan concentration is within 100 miles of the school and yet their alumni cannot be bothered to watch the games on TV, let alone drive to the stadium.

I didn't say they had no value. I simply said they weren't the bigtens first choice. I think something that obvious is beyond debate.

If Clemson moved to the Coastal they would still play Florida State as a permanent cross-over as Miami would play Virginia Tech from the Coastal and Clemson would play Florida State, but if Miami and Florida State were both in the same division there would still be 8 games a year they would have to play against Coastal teams each year and each team could still get a game in Florida every 2 years. I am just thinking outside the box and not trying to be radical.

No worries. Never thought you were trying to be.

The ACC can stand a little out of the box thinking on occasion. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom