My question for tomorrow night's Scott Shafer Show | Syracusefan.com

My question for tomorrow night's Scott Shafer Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Everybody wants to ask about clock manage at the end of the first half in a 21-45 game. That's been asked and answered and will no doubt be discussed on the show, (I may make a reference to it before asking my question). I decided to go in a different direction and ask this:

"Coach, your team is on a pace to do something that’s been done by on ly two other Syracuse teams in history: 1959 and 1987. You’ve scored at least 20 points in every regular season game so far. That’s the good news. The latest NCAA statistics list Syracuse as being ranked #115 in total offense out of 127 teams with an average of 337 yards per game. How is it with Eric Dungey, Jordan Fredericks, Erv Phillips, Brisley Estime and Steve Ismael playing in front of a veteran offensive line that 114 teams have gained more yards than we have?"

The show this year will be broadcast on Thursdays at 7PM from TGI Fridays on the third floor of Destiny USA, (just past the theater ticket booth and on the right after you walk down the hallway). I don’t know if they will take questions from the audience there but they say you can watch the show whereas when it was at a restaurant, their table tended to be in a secluded location. (Remember its Thursdays at TGI Fridays, not Fridays at TGI Thursdays). The football show is an hour in duration, (Coach Boeheim’s basketball show is usually 2 hours).

Note: because the first game is on a Friday Night, the first show will be on Wednesday, September 2nd. After that it will be on the Thursday before each game until the last game when the show will again be on a Wednesday, (11/25) due to Thanksgiving.

“Fans are invited to attend the show in person or participate via telephone (1-888-7-Go Cuse or 424-8599) or Twitter (@CuseIMG) using the hashtag #AskShafe. You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse)99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.” You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

That first phone number is 1-888-746-2873 numerically.

You can also send them in advance at this site:

http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

(I do both so they can be prepared to give me an informed, reasoned answer.)

Good question, but he's going to say youth at the skill positions. Hopefully you get something more.

Everybody wants to ask about clock manage at the end of the first half in a 21-45 game. That's been asked and answered and will no doubt be discussed on the show, (I may make a reference to it before asking my question). I decided to go in a different direction and ask this:

"Coach, your team is on a pace to do something that’s been done by on ly two other Syracuse teams in history: 1959 and 1987. You’ve scored at least 20 points in every regular season game so far. That’s the good news. The latest NCAA statistics list Syracuse as being ranked #115 in total offense out of 127 teams with an average of 337 yards per game. How is it with Eric Dungey, Jordan Fredericks, Erv Phillips, Brisley Estime and Steve Ismael playing in front of a veteran offensive line that 114 teams have gained more yards than we have?"

The show this year will be broadcast on Thursdays at 7PM from TGI Fridays on the third floor of Destiny USA, (just past the theater ticket booth and on the right after you walk down the hallway). I don’t know if they will take questions from the audience there but they say you can watch the show whereas when it was at a restaurant, their table tended to be in a secluded location. (Remember its Thursdays at TGI Fridays, not Fridays at TGI Thursdays). The football show is an hour in duration, (Coach Boeheim’s basketball show is usually 2 hours).

Note: because the first game is on a Friday Night, the first show will be on Wednesday, September 2nd. After that it will be on the Thursday before each game until the last game when the show will again be on a Wednesday, (11/25) due to Thanksgiving.

“Fans are invited to attend the show in person or participate via telephone (1-888-7-Go Cuse or 424-8599) or Twitter (@CuseIMG) using the hashtag #AskShafe. You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse)99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.” You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

That first phone number is 1-888-746-2873 numerically.

You can also send them in advance at this site:

http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

(I do both so they can be prepared to give me an informed, reasoned answer.)

Good question, but he's going to say youth at the skill positions. Hopefully you get something more.
No, he's going to say when it's your team you can answer that question, Steve. :noidea:

I got a better question -
"Coach if we score before half with time remaining do you look to squibb kick again since that has worked so well the last two game?"

Ask him who makes up the schedules, next year we have Notre Dame @MetLife. Bye week in the second week. As well as the unavoidable FlSt, Clemson, replacing VA with VA Tech

Ask him who makes up the schedules, next year we have Notre Dame @MetLife. Bye week in the second week. As well as the unavoidable FlSt, Clemson, replacing VA with VA Tech
There's nothing saying week 2 is a bye yet, it could be filled with a conference game.

There's nothing saying week 2 is a bye yet, it could be filled with a conference game.
in the above pages section, that lists the schedule for next year, 12 games are listed, and in the fourth column for week two it says bye week. hopefully, subject to change

in the above pages section, that lists the schedule for next year, 12 games are listed, and in the fourth column for week two it says bye week. hopefully, subject to change
I see the one here now, I haven't seen anywhere that the ACC Schedule has been determined though. My fault if it has.

We will likely have a conference game week 2. I highly doubt the ACC will screw us if we ask them for a conference game. Check to see if aLL Atlantic teams have games for week 2 or Pitt/VPI.

no chance of a week 2 bye

We will likely have a conference game week 2. I highly doubt the ACC will screw us if we ask them for a conference game. Check to see if aLL Atlantic teams have games for week 2 or Pitt/VPI.
duke,us,wake and louisville are open wk 2...duke needs to be home though since they have 2 away games in week 3 and 4 since they are playing wake forest probably while we host louisville

duke,us,wake and louisville are open wk 2...duke needs to be home though since they have 2 away games in week 3 and 4 since they are playing wake forest probably while we host louisville
Duke plays @ Louisville and Wake at home both next year.
I see Duke has NW and ND back to back weeks 3 and 4 next year. So Wake at home makes some sense but they could play at Louisville as well.

Seeing Wake and Louisville both on Duke's schedule helps give the ACC some options.

Duke plays @ Louisville and Wake at home both next year.
I see Duke has NW and ND back to back weeks 3 and 4 next year. So Wake at home makes some sense but they could play at Louisville as well.

Seeing Wake and Louisville both on Duke's schedule helps give the ACC some options.
conference tries to avoid playing 3 straight road games unless a bye week is mixed in

clock management killed this team 2 weeks in a row. its a simple question , but i never saw the presser did they every explain the thinking behind calling a TO at the wrong time in back to back weeks ? i could care less about the kicks that followed as they never happen if the other part is done right.

clock management killed this team 2 weeks in a row. its a simple question , but i never saw the presser did they every explain the thinking behind calling a TO at the wrong time in back to back weeks ? i could care less about the kicks that followed as they never happen if the other part is done right.

On the decision to take a timeout late in the first half on the goal line: “We had the timeout to use. We wanted to make sure we were organized and got the best play on the football field plus our guys looked gassed and I thought it would give them another second to get a little energy before we punch it in. More than anything else just to give them a shot to give them a little juice. We had to score there. Had to get a touchdown.”

Was there any thought to let the clock trickle down on that timeout? “To some degree, but I already answered the question.”

http://www.cuse.com/documents/2015/11/1/FSU_Syracuse_Opponent_Coach_Quotes.pdf

On the decision to take a timeout late in the first half on the goal line: “We had the timeout to use. We wanted to make sure we were organized and got the best play on the football field plus our guys looked gassed and I thought it would give them another second to get a little energy before we punch it in. More than anything else just to give them a shot to give them a little juice. We had to score there. Had to get a touchdown.”

Was there any thought to let the clock trickle down on that timeout? “To some degree, but I already answered the question.”

http://www.cuse.com/documents/2015/11/1/FSU_Syracuse_Opponent_Coach_Quotes.pdf
That second answer is a joke from a head football coach in his third year. To some degree? WTH. You left time for the opponent when you didn't have to. What degree did you think about that? You want your players to get energy but don't let the clock run and then call TO to give them more energy?

Jeez, the more this guy talks he shows he hasn't learned from years 1 and 2.

10-21 at halftime would have been better than 14-28 Coach Shafer.

I got a better question -
"Coach if we score before half with time remaining do you look to squibb kick again since that has worked so well the last two game?"
I thought he said at his press conference that the kicker was supposed to drive the kick off, not squib it.

It's really quite simple. He didn't have faith that the offense can score in the red zone and he has faith in his defense to get a stop no matter what. It informs all of his decisions - facts be damned.

To become a good HC, he'll have to lose that reliance on his heart and go with numbers.

That second answer is a joke from a head football coach in his third year. To some degree? WTH. You left time for the opponent when you didn't have to. What degree did you think about that? You want your players to get energy but don't let the clock run and then call TO to give them more energy?

they did the same thing against pitt called the TO too soon left time, made a bad kick that didnt work and too all the energy out of the half.

If you watch the press conference, it's even worse.

The horror actually begins at 1:30 with the timeout question and then the kick.

Anyway...

If you watch the press conference, it's even worse.

The horror actually begins at 1:30 with the timeout question and then the kick.

Anyway...
That was scary. My NFL team is the Patriots and if I learned one thing about the Hoodie is he knows everything about every player on the opposing team.

How Shafer said he what he said about Maguire was scary. You guys probably know more about the snaps than I do. Nobody expects a complete scouting report on the guy but the way SS answered it was like he was 100% shocked Maguire played when Golson was on the FSU injury report during the week leading up to the game. WTH.

Alsacs said:
That was scary. My NFL team is the Patriots and if I learned one thing about the Hoodie is he knows everything about every player on the opposing team. How Shafer said he what he said about Maguire was scary. You guys probably know more about the snaps than I do. Nobody expects a complete scouting report on the guy but the way SS answered it was like he was 100% shocked Maguire played when Golson was on the FSU injury report during the week leading up to the game. WTH.

I thought golson was not on the official ACC injury report.

I thought golson was not on the official ACC injury report.
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sp...injured-seminoles-out-syracuse-game/74799510/

This article showed that Maguire got first team reps in practice. Somebody in the football operation had to read and know Maguire was a candidate to play and be prepared for that. Obviously Fisher knew Golson wasn't playing and didn't want to make that know to Syracuse but giving first team reps to Maguire and saying what he said about Golson was smart coaching.

Our staff should not have been taken completely off guard and should have watched Maguire on tape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom