My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

“Coach, it was nice to see the team get back on the winning track. Some players who haven’t been consistent contributors seem to be coming around now: Tyler Roberson, Malachi Richardson, DaJuan Coleman. One player I still think could still make a significant contribution the rest of the way is Franklin Howard. He got significant playing time last night but you didn’t seem too happy with his performance. How far is he from becoming a reliable contributor to the team?”

Second hour:

“Coach, people are talking about your last two press conferences. You seemed very unhappy. Some think it’s about the reporters and their questions. My theory is that you are thinking about the team and not satisfied with their performance. Could you give us what it’s like from your viewpoint to have to do a press conference right after a tough game? “

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

“Coach, it was nice to see the team get back on the winning track. Some players who haven’t been consistent contributors seem to be coming around now: Tyler Roberson, Malachi Richardson, DaJuan Coleman. One player I still think could still make a significant contribution the rest of the way is Franklin Howard. He got significant playing time last night but you didn’t seem too happy with his performance. How far is he from becoming a reliable contributor to the team?”

Second hour:

“Coach, people are talking about your last two press conferences. You seemed very unhappy. Some think it’s about the reporters and their questions. My theory is that you are thinking about the team and not satisfied with their performance. Could you give us what it’s like from your viewpoint to have to do a press conference right after a tough game? “

Great questions. I sincerely hope you get an answer to those.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

Second hour:

Worth tuning into the show just to hear responses to these questions.

Perfect questions SWC! I might pull it up on the internet tonight just to hear his responses to those.

Absolutely love that first question, it would probably be what I'd ask JB right now if I could ask him one question

Good Q's, although JB has been like that for a long time in reference to the 2nd question

These seem to me to be statements wrapped up to look like questions. Actually I'm not sure I can find a basketball related question in #2.

1 - "One player I still think could still make a significant contribution the rest of the way is Franklin Howard."

2A - “My theory is that you are thinking about the team and not satisfied with their performance."

2B - "Could you give us what it’s like from your viewpoint to have to do a press conference right after a tough game? “ Translated: Your performance was poor and I want to give you the excuse of having to talk to the press after a tough game and all you have to do is agree with it.

The real question in #1 is "Why isn't Howard playing more?"

Let me guess. It's because JB doesn't have confidence in him or enough confidence yet. Or on the reverse side of that coin, Gbinije and Cooney out there in his opinion give us a better chance of winning. He's not going to break down in front of the Press the weaknesses in Howard's game or explain why he doesn't have confidence in him

You're the only person who might get away with asking him that second question, and frankly, I'll be surprised if you get a legitimate answer.

Last edited:
I would love to ask, How frustrating is it to watch your offense struggle against a high school team? BC is the weakest team we've played this year. They are awful and we still struggled to score.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

Second hour:

Good show, sir. You are the Voice of the Board.

When the board is on its meds.

Could you give us what it’s like from your viewpoint to have to do a press conference right after a tough game? “
Boeheim hasn't had it so tough.

Vikings kicker Blair Walsh did. He was a man about it.
Jets QB Ryan Fitzpatrick did. He was a man about it.
Wladimir Klitschko did. He was a man about it.
Ronda Rousey did.

Good show, sir. You are the Voice of the Board.

When the board is on its meds.
:rolling:

But you really are the Voice of the Board. At least the voice Coach hears on a consistent basis.

These seem to me to be statements wrapped up to look like questions. Actually I'm not sure I can find a basketball related question in #2.

1 - "One player I still think could still make a significant contribution the rest of the way is Franklin Howard."

2A - “My theory is that you are thinking about the team and not satisfied with their performance."

2B - "Could you give us what it’s like from your viewpoint to have to do a press conference right after a tough game? “ Translated: Your performance was poor and I want to give you the excuse of having to talk to the press after a tough game and all you have to do is agree with it.

The real question in #1 is "Why isn't Howard playing more?"

Let me guess. It's because JB doesn't have confidence in him or enough confidence yet. Or on the reverse side of that coin, Gbinije and Cooney out there in his opinion give us a better chance of winning. He's not going to break down in front of the Press the weaknesses in Howard's game or explain why he doesn't have confidence in him

You can read my post "The Jim Boeheim Show- after BC" for Jim's answers. I wasn't claiming Howard should be playing more. I felt he could help the team, (as does JB) and wondered about his progress. My theory about JB's demeanor is obviously in his defense: I'm saying he's worried about the tam, not trying to be mean to reporters.

In answer to you question on the now locked thread about JB's pressers, I would characterize the SU basketball program as a "regional power" in the Fred Lewis and Roy Danforth years. It became a national power under Boeheim. The program was, indeed nothing when Fred Lewis took over in 1962. We'd just broken a national record 27 game losing streak and had consecutive seasons where we went 6-41. In the 14 seasons Lewis and Danforth coached the team we had 10 winning seasons, won 20 games six times, (and 19 twice), when that was a significant achievement as teams played regular seasons of 24-26 games and we were an independent, so there was no conference tournament. We went to one Final Four, one regional Final, won third place in another Regional and went to two other NCAA tournaments when the Big Dance had less than half the number of teams it has now. We also went to four NITs when, because of the small number of teams in the NCAAs, the NIT still had prestige:Some highly rated teams actually preferred to go there. Those would have been NCAA teams today. There weren't more than 3-4 eastern teams that had better records over that stretch. We also had some fo the bets players who have played at Syracuse: Dave Bing, Chuck Richards, Vaughn Harper, Bill Smith, Kid Kohls, the Lee Brothers, Dennis Duval, Rudy Hackett, etc. We could use those guys on this year's team.

Jim Boeheim obviously improved the level of the program after that but it wasn't "nothing" when he took over. He built upon a foundation that had been laid by Lewis and Danforth.

You can read my post "The Jim Boeheim Show- after BC" for Jim's answers. I wasn't claiming Howard should be playing more. I felt he could help the team, (as does JB) and wondered about his progress. My theory about JB's demeanor is obviously in his defense: I'm saying he's worried about the tam, not trying to be mean to reporters.

In answer to you question on the now locked thread about JB's pressers, I would characterize the SU basketball program as a "regional power" in the Fred Lewis and Roy Danforth years. It became a national power under Boeheim. The program was, indeed nothing when Fred Lewis took over in 1962. We'd just broken a national record 27 game losing streak and had consecutive seasons where we went 6-41. In the 14 seasons Lewis and Danforth coached the team we had 10 winning seasons, won 20 games six times, (and 19 twice), when that was a significant achievement as teams played regular seasons of 24-26 games and we were an independent, so there was no conference tournament. We went to one Final Four, one regional Final, won third place in another Regional and went to two other NCAA tournaments when the Big Dance had less than half the number of teams it has now. We also went to four NITs when, because of the small number of teams in the NCAAs, the NIT still had prestige:Some highly rated teams actually preferred to go there. Those would have been NCAA teams today. There weren't more than 3-4 eastern teams that had better records over that stretch. We also had some fo the bets players who have played at Syracuse: Dave Bing, Chuck Richards, Vaughn Harper, Bill Smith, Kid Kohls, the Lee Brothers, Dennis Duval, Rudy Hackett, etc. We could use those guys on this year's team.

Jim Boeheim obviously improved the level of the program after that but it wasn't "nothing" when he took over. He built upon a foundation that had been laid by Lewis and Danforth.

It’s pretty obvious I don’t like people criticizing Boeheim. I think he is right pretty much all the time. One of my son’s father-in-law is very close to the SLU basketball program as a big-time contributor. The guy related to me how Rick Majerus had told them that JB was a basketball pioneer and near genius in his opinion. (Those are Rick Majerus’ words not mine.) Coach K. has him on that national team because he too recognizes JB’s insight and intelligence.

So based on what I know the people that respect the guy most are the other top coaches in basketball.

Now the game with the local Press is pretty obvious. Boeheim has decided he just isn’t going to play it all the time. I say that’s good. In the period before retiring from a large Corporation I got less and less willing to play the games. And I just have a high tolerance for conflict. I don’t mind it. If you don’t want to be embarrassed as a reporter by JB, I’d be careful to ask questions that are good ones.

Now on SU program pre-JB. I guess I can live with “Regional Power” but there was a huge gap in the late 60’s and early 70’s between the ECAC and the National powers. Winning the Eastern Regional by beating KY was regarded as a huge upset. And although we had some good players, we also had a fair share of Siebert’s and Dooms. I've been an SU BB fan for many decades and I saw most of the guys on your list play.

Of course The Big East and ESPN helped. But all the Big East schools benefited and only Boeheim and Calhoun were able to keep their programs at the National level. Schools like Georgetown and SJU and BC disappeared for long time periods.

Lots of people can do it for a couple of years. (e.g. Roy Danforth). But very few have done it at this level for this long a time period.The guy deserves respect not sniping.

It’s pretty obvious I don’t like people criticizing Boeheim. I think he is right pretty much all the time. One of my son’s father-in-law is very close to the SLU basketball program as a big-time contributor. The guy related to me how Rick Majerus had told them that JB was a basketball pioneer and near genius in his opinion. (Those are Rick Majerus’ words not mine.) Coach K. has him on that national team because he too recognizes JB’s insight and intelligence.

So based on what I know the people that respect the guy most are the other top coaches in basketball.

Now the game with the local Press is pretty obvious. Boeheim has decided he just isn’t going to play it all the time. I say that’s good. In the period before retiring from a large Corporation I got less and less willing to play the games. And I just have a high tolerance for conflict. I don’t mind it. If you don’t want to be embarrassed as a reporter by JB, I’d be careful to ask questions that are good ones.

Now on SU program pre-JB. I guess I can live with “Regional Power” but there was a huge gap in the late 60’s and early 70’s between the ECAC and the National powers. Winning the Eastern Regional by beating KY was regarded as a huge upset. And although we had some good players, we also had a fair share of Siebert’s and Dooms. I've been an SU BB fan for many decades and I saw most of the guys on your list play.

Of course The Big East and ESPN helped. But all the Big East schools benefited and only Boeheim and Calhoun were able to keep their programs at the National level. Schools like Georgetown and SJU and BC disappeared for long time periods.

Lots of people can do it for a couple of years. (e.g. Roy Danforth). But very few have done it at this level for this long a time period.The guy deserves respect not sniping.

You keep saying this (I’d be careful to ask questions that are good ones) but based on every post-game presser we've all seen, JB does not believe there are any good questions, just ones he has to tolerate to meet his job requirements.

I like what you have said about JB influencing some of the top minds in the sport. I just wish he would let a couple of the other top minds in the sport influence him. I guess he's taken D'antonio's advice on pick and rolls, but maybe he could take a bit of the Duke m2m like Duke has adopted their version of the zone (FOR OCCASIONAL USAGE ONLY!!!!!).

There's a big difference between "basketball pioneer and near-genius" and being right virtually all the time.

I think Boeheim is a basketball pioneer and tremendous basketball mind. It's also apparent that he's wrong sometimes. It's OK. Everyone's wrong sometimes.

There's a big difference between "basketball pioneer and near-genius" and being right virtually all the time.

I think Boeheim is a basketball pioneer and tremendous basketball mind. It's also apparent that he's wrong sometimes. It's OK. Everyone's wrong sometimes.

The interesting thing to me, and I don't want this to get shut down as a full-on anti-JB thread, but I see lots and lots of head coaches out there, at the tops of their games saying things like "I need to coach better, I got out-coached, etc." And I'm talking about coaches like Belechick, Why won't he admit when he gets outcoached in a game (see recent UNC game as an example)?

Explain to me what "Its apparent he's wrong sometimes" means. How is it "apparent"?

We aren't talking about "infallability" here, are we? Because, as I'm sure you know, coaches don't have 100% control of what they see before them on the court.

I believe much of the criticism of JB comes not from the "more knowledgeable" but from the "frustrated". And some of the frustrated have a penchant for whining.

The interesting thing to me, and I don't want this to get shut down as a full-on anti-JB thread, but I see lots and lots of head coaches out there, at the tops of their games saying things like "I need to coach better, I got out-coached, etc." And I'm talking about coaches like Belechick, Why won't he admit when he gets outcoached in a game (see recent UNC game as an example)?

Interesting thing here, I haven't been into hoops season as much as usual and I'm not too familiar with our schedule. But I was sitting in Varsity last night and noticed a second North Carolina placard on the schedule wall. Excited to learn we're playing them again.

So I'm going to go on the record now and predict that Syracuse beats them in Chapel Hill this season and Boeheim outcoaches Roy. (Unless we have big injuries between now and then.)

Interesting thing here, I haven't been into hoops season as much as usual and I'm not too familiar with our schedule. But I was sitting in Varsity last night and noticed a second North Carolina placard on the schedule wall. Excited to learn we're playing them again.

So I'm going to go on the record now and predict that Syracuse beats them in Chapel Hill this season and Boeheim outcoaches Roy. (Unless we have big injuries between now and then.)

Looks like it will be Monday February 29th. Which sucks because we will only be able to commemorate that win that propelled us into the NCAA tourney and another final 4 once every 4 years.

Explain to me what "Its apparent he's wrong sometimes" means. How is it "apparent"?

We aren't talking about "infallability" here, are we? Because, as I'm sure you know, coaches don't have 100% control of what they see before them on the court.

I believe much of the criticism of JB comes not from the "more knowledgeable" but from the "frustrated". And some of the frustrated have a penchant for whining.

He claims that college kids don't get tired. He's sensitive about criticism about that odd claim and likes to looks for support among his peers, often making silly comparisons. Consider the bit from SWC's post about distribution of minutes among good teams. Which of these things is not like the other?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/183
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/150
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/201
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2567

So how does out coached work?? We were with them and leading for 35 min as a underdog and let it slip away. So Jim was out coached for 5 min out of the 40

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom