My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show

So how does out coached work?? We were with them and leading for 35 min as a underdog and let it slip away. So Jim was out coached for 5 min out of the 40

Yup. Roy reacted, JB didn't. Sucks, but it happens from time to time.

So how does out coached work?? We were with them and leading for 35 min as a underdog and let it slip away. So Jim was out coached for 5 min out of the 40

He continued to keep the wings up high, leaving the short corner open.

I'll further contend that Roy is aware of Boeheim's aptitude for halftime adjustments and waited until the second half to attack that empty spot in the zone as he did, correctly guessing that we wouldn't be able to fix that problem on the fly.

We won't have that problem next month.

It’s pretty obvious I don’t like people criticizing Boeheim. I think he is right pretty much all the time. One of my son’s father-in-law is very close to the SLU basketball program as a big-time contributor. The guy related to me how Rick Majerus had told them that JB was a basketball pioneer and near genius in his opinion. (Those are Rick Majerus’ words not mine.) Coach K. has him on that national team because he too recognizes JB’s insight and intelligence.

So based on what I know the people that respect the guy most are the other top coaches in basketball.

Now the game with the local Press is pretty obvious. Boeheim has decided he just isn’t going to play it all the time. I say that’s good. In the period before retiring from a large Corporation I got less and less willing to play the games. And I just have a high tolerance for conflict. I don’t mind it. If you don’t want to be embarrassed as a reporter by JB, I’d be careful to ask questions that are good ones.

Now on SU program pre-JB. I guess I can live with “Regional Power” but there was a huge gap in the late 60’s and early 70’s between the ECAC and the National powers. Winning the Eastern Regional by beating KY was regarded as a huge upset. And although we had some good players, we also had a fair share of Siebert’s and Dooms. I've been an SU BB fan for many decades and I saw most of the guys on your list play.

Of course The Big East and ESPN helped. But all the Big East schools benefited and only Boeheim and Calhoun were able to keep their programs at the National level. Schools like Georgetown and SJU and BC disappeared for long time periods.

Lots of people can do it for a couple of years. (e.g. Roy Danforth). But very few have done it at this level for this long a time period.The guy deserves respect not sniping.

I am also a Boeheim admirer and agree he took the program to heights it had never reached and sustained it for a period his predecessors could not have dreamt of. I had no hidden agenda in my questions and attributed his tension to his concerned over his team, which he confirmed when he answered. His record doesn't need to be inflated by describing the teams prior to his tenure as "nothing". They were nothing. They just weren't as good as what followed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom