My respect for Gerry McNamara just went up another notch | Syracusefan.com

My respect for Gerry McNamara just went up another notch

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
The job he is doing with our guards has just been fantastic.

No wonder JB said on the YES network he'd want Gerry McNamara in the trench with him during a battle.

GMAC has always been a tough-minded person.

The wonder of it is that he has been able to transfer that same attitude to Tyler and Trevor (Gerry & Tyler if you will, lol)

This article by Donna reveals the depth of what Gerry does for the team.

Joey McNamara works for Jeff Boeheim. Different guys.

This Gerry guy, though, helluva get for Jim Boeheim.

ETA: based on that article: jesus, can you imagine the defensive fits when Cooney starts using a shot fake at the 3-pt line and then drove the basket? goodlawdalmighty

Last edited:
count me as a skeptic won over by gmac's coaching.

didnt really know what we getting. thought it was more of a 'nepotism' hire to fill in for bernie.

he can coach, can he recruit???
Have him carry his laptop around to show recruits his exploits in the Big East Tournaments over the years. Instant street cred!

Some people hand wring when Hop interviews for various HC jobs. Not me...as much as I like Hop, I'd be comfortable having Gerry carry the torch.

Have him carry his laptop around to show recruits his exploits in the Big East Tournaments over the years. Instant street cred!

Some people hand wring when Hop interviews for various HC jobs. Not me...as much as I like Hop, I'd be comfortable having Gerry carry the torch.

I think Gerry has a long way to go before we make that proclamation :) Hop is miles ahead of Gerry at this point and I want to see him be our next coach. I for one definitely hope he never leaves...

Gerry was the main recruiter for Derrick Jones. Not sure if that is still the case, but if he has his interest, I wouldn't be worried about his recruiting. Listened to his radio show last night and his confidence in what hes talking about seems so much higher than it was when he originally was hired.

Love Mc but it also sounds like he has the perfect guy to work with in Cooney. Trevor comes with both tools and a fiery drive to perfection and a fabulous work ethic. These guys were meant for each other and SU!!! Lucky us. Glad he didn't go DII or DIII. ;)

Now the question is, does he become the Hop to Hop's JB whenever that day comes? Or will "Joey" Mac leave for a head coaching gig whenever a decent one comes up? Would be be on the list of anyone like Siena, or Binghamton, or any schools around that level in NY or PA in a year or two?

This is such a great picture. Roy looks so resigned and their asst coach with his mouth open.

-3e678c97530ba58c.JPG

So who will be HC first: Hop at SU or GMac at a small college/university (not necessarily D1, if he chose to leave)?

"During Delaware winters, he would clear snow off the driveway and pull on a pair of gloves to get up shots."

Gloves? What a wuss.

I personally think that GMac will be a lifer here. Once Hop takes over, GMac will be his right hand man. I think he's truly happy in Syracuse and can certainly give his family a great quality of life here.

I personally think that GMac will be a lifer here. Once Hop takes over, GMac will be his right hand man. I think he's truly happy in Syracuse and can certainly give his family a great quality of life here.
Plus, Syracuse is one of the two places in the world where he'll never, ever have to pay for a meal or a drink.

On the flipside, he'd never even get in the door of a McDonald's in Lawrence, Kansas.

This is such a great picture. Roy looks so resigned and their asst coach with his mouth open.

-3e678c97530ba58c.JPG
Awesome photo. And he really has been that good. Love that coaches now don't know who to put their best perimeter defender on. Ennis, C.J. Cooney. Choose your poison is so true for our opponents.
Man do I love this team.

No disrespect to Gerry but don't forget Red Autry. He has more coaching experience and had more all round ability as a guard. I'm sure he has had a great impact on the team as well.
Gerry's biggest contribution besides working on TC's form is apparently the strong relationship he has developed with him.
I think Red will be the first to go to a head coaching job.

The job he is doing with our guards has just been fantastic.

No wonder JB said on the YES network he'd want Gerry McNamara in the trench with him during a battle.

GMAC has always been a tough-minded person.

The wonder of it is that he has been able to transfer that same attitude to Tyler and Trevor (Gerry & Tyler if you will, lol)

This article by Donna reveals the depth of what Gerry does for the team.

I have to admit that sometimes when we hire our own, it seems like its a little more as a way of saying thank you for what you did while you were playing. But when you look at the alums on staff you cant help but be impressed with their coaching ability, recruiting (at least in the case of Red and Hop) and ability to relate to these kids. Its a great staff right now in my opinion.

-3e678c97530ba58c.JPG
If thats not a "How in the hell did you leave HIM open" look i dont know what is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom