My run in with Mike Hopkins... | Syracusefan.com

My run in with Mike Hopkins...

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
A couple weeks ago I went to visit a friend from college who decided to stay in the Syracuse area. My roommate and I drove up during the day on Friday, and when we arrived my friend was still at work.

Hungry, and wanting to kill some time, we decided to stop and get something to eat. We pulled over at some little Italian sub shop, I forget the name, but it was fine with me. Pretty cozy place. You know how your grandparents' place used to smell, like a mix of mothballs and garlic, well that's how this place smelled. I ordered a chicken Parm and it wasn't half bad.

When we were going to leave, who walks in? Mike Hopkins. I'm not one to oogle and awe, but my roommate's jaw was practically on the floor. He rushed up to Mike and began asking him all sorts of questions.

Coach Hop said he hopes to never leave SU and that the recruits we have coming in the next few years should keep us near the top of the college basketball pecking order.

Hopkins then asked us if we would like to see the inside of the Melo Center as that was where he was heading afterwards. Of course we jumped at the opportunity.

He said there's only one catch, we need to pay him tree-fiddy.

"Tree-fiddy?" I said, thinking I heard wrong. But then I realized that this was not Mike Hopkins. This was a 9-foot leftover from the Paleozoic era. This was that god-damn Loch Ness Monster.

Annoyed, my roommate and I promptly jumped into the car and headed to see our friend.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago I went to visit a friend from college who decided to stay in the Syracuse area. My roommate and I drove up during the day on Friday, and when we arrived my friend was still at work.

Hungry, and wanting to kill some time, we decided to stop and get something to eat. We pulled over at some little Italian sub shop, I forget the name, but it was fine with me. Pretty cozy place. You know how your grandparents' place used to smell, like a mix of mothballs and garlic, well that's how this place smelled. I ordered a chicken Parm and it wasn't half bad.

When we were going to leave, who walks in? Mike Hopkins. I'm not one to oogle and awe, but my roommate's jaw was practically on the floor. He rushed up to Mike and began asking him all sorts of questions.

Coach Hop said he hopes to never leave SU and that the recruits we have coming in the next few years should keep us near the top of the college basketball pecking order.

Hopkins then asked us if we would like to see the inside of the Melo Center as that was where he was heading afterwards. Of course we jumped at the opportunity.

"Tree-fiddy?" I said, thinking I heard wrong. But then I realized that this was not Mike Hopkins. This was a 9-foot leftover from the Paleozoic era. This was that god-damn Loch Ness Monster.

Annoyed, my friend and I promptly jumped into the car and headed to see our friend.

I would also like to take this opportunity to start a new meme: "Photoshop or it didn't happen!"

Annoyed, my friend and I promptly jumped into the car and headed to see our friend.
This was incredible. Post of the year.

tumblr_mebr4abvPj1rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

After some Googling, apparently it's from South Park. I'm relatively young, and totally did not understand the reference at all. I've also never watched a single episode of South Park.

Edit: This reminds me of Roger Clemens' trial where "It is what it is" kept being said, and then they had to clarify what that meant.

Last edited:
After some Googling, apparently it's from South Park. I'm relatively young, and totally did not understand the reference at all. I've also never watched a single episode of South Park.

Well, that's your problem right there.

So you're saying that you mistook some gangly armed dude for Coach Hop and he pwned you?

Man, I watch South Park all the time and I still didn't get the reference, until Bortukal posted that picture. And honestly, I still don't understand what happened in this story or whether or not it actually happened.:noidea:

Man, I watch South Park all the time and I still didn't get the reference, until Bortukal posted that picture. And honestly, I still don't understand what happened in this story or whether or not it actually happened.:noidea:

Yes.

So let me see if I understand what you are saying here. There was some type of hallucinogen in the Chicken Parm and when Fab Melo walked in you mistook him for Mike Hopkins and then the entire trip turned into a bad South Park episode?