One minor quibble with the offense…. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One minor quibble with the offense….

Game was slipping away and we had to stick to high percentage plays.

The end of the 1st half after we went up 14-0 and then in the second half after we wen up 10 UNLV was dominant on both sides. 2 blocked punts. Long pass plays easily could have been picks or strip sacks. They had a 94 yard TD drive late after the pick. Our long drive kept the D off the field just sucks we threw that deep pick. Didn't trust us to hit a FG there though.

A lot of those short passes / screens were part of the RPO game. McCord usually makes the right read but he definitely threw a few that should have been handed off.
I think most likely we were more prepared in case UNLV had adopted Stanford's strategy. Stanford rushed the passer early and it is working and those early points eventually got them the win. NFL QB has only 2.5 seconds for the screen pass. McCord did not do that in early Stanford game. Not his fault, more on coaching staff not prepared for it. You cannot rush passer in the whole game. Once the opponent sees it is working, they will seek other strategy. But in Q1, you have to force your opponent change.

You take what the defense gives. We hit a deep cross to OG I think in the 4th. But with gill and Hatcher you don’t have guys that can separate from defenders. It’s not just speed, it’s route running too.
I agree with this. If they are gonna give you 7, 8, 10 yards at a pop due to soft coverage it’s hard to ignore that and not take it. They may have just decided we’d have to beat them with the short stuff. And we did.

But sure enough, I hope Zeed comes back soon because that makes us dangerous on a whole other level.

McCord is 2nd in the country in passing yards per game. He is 59th in yards per attempt. And has a 64% competion %.
Throwing is better than running. It's sacrilege to say it. But that's what it comes down to

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom