My son committed | Syracusefan.com

My son committed

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
IMG_0097.JPG

Congrats! I hope he got a full ride for Dad's sake!
So, in soccer there are, at maximum, 9.9 scholarships. Absent some big mistake, no school invests more than 1 scholarship at at time in the goalkeepers. The current guy gets money.
My son is the #2 next year. (Returner is all conference senior.) When he graduates, and assuming my son becomes the starter, which they anticipate happening, all of his cost of attendance will be covered via academic and athletic money. It's the ultimate merit system. Our hope is that he actually red-shirts, then has 4 years to play as the starter.

Last edited:
Congrats!!

Reminds me of a time when Playboy listed their top ten drinking schools a long time ago. They had a footnote on the bottom of the page that said something to the effect if you're looking for Manhattan College on this list they were excluded because this list only contains amateurs. Manhattan is a school for professional drinkers.

so soccer only has 10 scholies and the goalie gets 1 then the other 20-25 guys split the other 9?

I know in other sports guys are getting 1/4 and 1/2 scholies just wondering if soccer values the goalie so much they actually get a full 1?

so soccer only has 10 scholies and the goalie gets 1 then the other 20-25 guys split the other 9?

I know in other sports guys are getting 1/4 and 1/2 scholies just wondering if soccer values the goalie so much they actually get a full 1?
Not everybody does that. At Western Michigan, the starter only gets 1/2 of an athletic scholarship, but its a state school, so it costs less. Private schools have a lot more $$ to make up than state schools. His won't all be athletic money, some will come from academic side, so his full ride won't be a full athletic scholarship.
One of the tricks was looking at rosters, scholarship limits (not all programs are fully funded) then finding the right place where he would not have the pressure of coming in and starting right away, but also would not have to sit for 2-3 years.
This one just worked out really well, on all of the issues.
Also, to the bigger question, Manhattan just gave a full ride to a field player from Germany coming in next year, so it all depends on the player.
Here is my kid's video.

Same HS as Alex Bono, who our coach compared him to favorably. (Bono got very little athletic money from SU, at least initially)

(My brother had tuition scholarship, then a tennis scholarship for books and room and board).

where in Manhattan do they play their home games?

where in Manhattan do they play their home games?
Its actually in Riverdale, NY. He wanted to go to school in the metro area. The #1 train is right on campus, (you can see one of the trains parked above the field. That is the school behind it.)
Riverdale itself is seemingly very affluent
They play at Gaelic Park. (Which with us being Irish, is cool. Immediately after this last camp, they had a team practicing hurling, and not the post drinking kind.)

7277129_ZelmFrx9QpfPxMXPtnKXMDu9CZyaq6_euwKW1I9NzqY.jpg

You should see their food plan...4 guys eating off one plate and 2 off another.

Congrats Captain! This is an exciting time and I'm sure Tim's almost as proud as you are!

Congrats Capt. Tuttle. I imagine you are very proud of the hard work and effort your son put into this. Hope he appreciates all the energy you and the family expended to help him on his way.

Well done to your son as well!

Congrats to your son! What position does he play?

I wish I had an opportunity to play in college. Caz wanted me but they were a 2 year at the time, in the process of going to 4 and I was dumb and thought 2 year wasn't what I should do.

Please keep posting how things are going. Would like to try and keep up.

Congrats to your son! What position does he play?

I wish I had an opportunity to play in college. Caz wanted me but they were a 2 year at the time, in the process of going to 4 and I was dumb and thought 2 year wasn't what I should do.

Please keep posting how things are going. Would like to try and keep up.
Thanks. He is a goalkeeper. His highlight video is in the thread. Won't be much to keep up on this fall, as he is the back up to a senior all conference goalkeeper.

A HS teammate of my son had a soccer scholarship at Manhattan from 2003 -2006. Congratulations and good luck to your son.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom