My take on Marrone | Syracusefan.com

My take on Marrone

KingOtis

All Conference
This was a cash grab.

Marrone is an average coach whose team overachieved this season. Yes, they finished strong and it was a great run, but let's not forget this is the same group that trailed Stony Brook at halftime.

Face it, he didn't have any interest in rebuilding the program. After his first hint of success, he took the money and ran. Right now, the NFL is courting Nick Saban, Brian Kelly and Chip Kelly. But Marrone was courting the NFL. He became a head coaching prospect because he put himself out there as a head coaching prospect.

You can say talk is cheap and how every coach says their next job is their "dream job" and how they all preach loyalty and integrity to their players before skipping town, but that doesn't make Marrone any less of a hypocrite. And spare me the Brent Axe columns. When did he become a beacon of wisdom?

Two other factors to consider: Number one, he didn't recruit Nassib. So we'll never know what he would have done with his own choice at quarterback. Number two, if Boeheim retires at the end of this year, people will say he's a coward for stepping down before the move to the ACC. So Marrone's a hypocrite and a coward.

As far as I'm concerned, he's the poor man's Bobby Petrino. Yet in a way he's worse because he's an alum. So a poor man's Petrino crossed with Marvin Harrison.

This was a cash grab.

Marrone is an average coach whose team overachieved this season. Yes, they finished strong and it was a great run, but let's not forget this is the same group that trailed Stony Brook at halftime.

First, why does this fact make this an overachieving team as opposed to one that just underachieved for one half?

Second, as much as I'll miss him, I can't blame him for looking out for his best interests and those of his family.

For crying out loud, be happy for the guy, be happy for what he's done for us, and be happy that he left us trending in a better direction than our previous HC.

He's not a dumb guy. He knows nassib is gone, as are his top O-Lineman and top 2 receivers.

I truly stopped reading when you said "average coach".

Tell that to the 4 NFL teams that were clamoring over him.

Have some perspective.

He approached them. And he's got people like Sean Payton vouching for him.

His record at SU was 25-25. How is that anything but average?

First, why does this fact make this an overachieving team as opposed to one that just underachieved for one half?

Second, as much as I'll miss him, I can't blame him for looking out for his best interests and those of his family.

For crying out loud, be happy for the guy, be happy for what he's done for us, and be happy that he left us trending in a better direction than our previous HC.

For crying out loud, this isn't Nick Saban going to the Dolphins. The rebuilding project isn't close to being finished. As orangepassion noted, we're losing a lot of players and we're joining a tougher conference. We went 8-5 and won the Pinstripe three years ago as well. We could easily go 5-7 again...or worse.

As far as I'm concerned, he's the poor man's Bobby Petrino. Yet in a way he's worse because he's an alum. So a poor man's Petrino crossed with Marvin Harrison.

I like the Marvin Harrison mention for effect.

Petrino quit in the middle of his first season in Atlanta. He met with Auburn mid-season while at Lville behind everybody's back. He hired his mistress to work for the athletic department. Marrone made a business/life decision that he had every right to make. There's no way to compeltely avoid collateral damage with a move this big, but this has been mostly painless...beyond our need-to-know-everything-in-realtime perspectives.

He approached them. And he's got people like Sean Payton vouching for him.

His record at SU was 25-25. How is that anything but average?

Just because he "approached" them, doesn't mean that he begged for a job. They all still wanted him. They knew that he is a very good football coach regardless of his glowing recommendations.

Answer this: do you think that teams would've interviewed him if they thought he was an average coach?

He went 25-25 in 4 seasons, with 2 bowl victories. This has been beat to the death. He took over a sunk ship and at least brought it back afloat. This program is in a much better position than it was when he took over and we should be grateful for that.

People leave jobs everyday for far less a % increase than DM is getting so its hard to kill the guy for it. Yes, it probably could have been handled a little differently and he probably regrets the "dream job" comment. But going from a .500 coach at SU to an NFL HC has got to be a pretty tough thing to pass up.

When all is said and done, I'm most disappointed in myself for actually believing that he would be another JB and stay at SU for 20 years.

For crying out loud, this isn't Nick Saban going to the Dolphins. The rebuilding project isn't close to being finished. As orangepassion noted, we're losing a lot of players and we're joining a tougher conference. We went 8-5 and won the Pinstripe three years ago as well. We could easily go 5-7 again...or worse.
King, I am not a big fan of Marrone as a person but I think you are way over the top on some of this. There is no comparison with Bobby P.. And the 25-25 record is a bit subjective. I'm not saying it did, but what if it took an amazing coach to get to 25-25 with the teams that we had. Just as if we had great talent and went 25-25. That would not be average. That would be below average. Marrone went and took a better job. Most of us do the same thing every day. I think the problem with doug is that the job was more difficult than he thought it would be. And people didn't kiss his behind for doing it. Then, the chance to make big money came and the rest is history.

I like the Marvin Harrison mention for effect.

Petrino quit in the middle of his first season in Atlanta. He met with Auburn mid-season while at Lville behind everybody's back. He hired his mistress to work for the athletic department. Marrone made a business/life decision that he had every right to make. There's no way to compeltely avoid collateral damage with a move this big, but this has been mostly painless...beyond our need-to-know-everything-in-realtime perspectives.

I said poor man's Petrino because Marrone obviously hasn't done a lot of those things. However, he's been pushing for an NFL gig since the regular season ended. Sure, he had every right to make this decision, but his actions betray his words. It's one thing if the NFL comes calling. It's another if you initiate the calls.

Just because he "approached" them, doesn't mean that he begged for a job. They all still wanted him. They knew that he is a very good football coach regardless of his glowing recommendations.

Answer this: do you think that teams would've interviewed him if they thought he was an average coach?

The teams in question aren't exactly the cream of the NFL crop. The Browns and Bills have been dysfunctional for years. The Chargers and Eagles are at that stage now.

Perception is reality.

I don't agree with everything you said in the OP, but I find it hard to argue with "his actions betrayed his words".

Perception is reality.

Three-quarters of the population would be in jail if that were true.

Most if the more informed posters on this board have said it wasn't about money.

After watching the press conference yesterday, I got the sense there were some underlying frustrations - but overall he just wanted to be an NFL coach.

The teams in question aren't exactly the cream of the NFL crop. The Browns and Bills have been dysfunctional for years. The Chargers and Eagles are at that stage now.

Perception is reality.

Not sure how to answer this, but I'll bite.

In addition to maybe 6-7 college gigs, the NFL represents the top jobs in the football coaching world. Agreed? Ok thanks.

Now you are reaching in saying that the 4 teams that interviewed him aren't cream of the crop? These jobs are all good. It isn't Dallas, NYG or GB, but it is still the NFL.

Give me a break guy.

You just started following SU football in 2009 with no knowledge of what occurred before that season I take it?

What kind of ridiculous statement is that? Should we be satisfied with mediocrity then? Is that the standard?

Pasqualoni deserved to get fired when he did, as the program was heading south. But a good portion of the fan base wasn't satisfied when his worst years were still better than Marrone's best.

This was a great way to leave the Big East, but there's a ton of work left to be done. Marrone was going to have to step up his game to compete in the ACC and I think that's part of why he left.

King, I am not a big fan of Marrone as a person but I think you are way over the top on some of this. There is no comparison with Bobby P.. And the 25-25 record is a bit subjective. I'm not saying it did, but what if it took an amazing coach to get to 25-25 with the teams that we had. Just as if we had great talent and went 25-25. That would not be average. That would be below average. Marrone went and took a better job. Most of us do the same thing every day. I think the problem with doug is that the job was more difficult than he thought it would be. And people didn't kiss his behind for doing it. Then, the chance to make big money came and the rest is history.

If he was working with inferior talent, then that's partly on him. I look at a guy like Gary Pinkel and I see a great recruiter who is overmatched in games. I guess you're suggesting Marrone is the opposite.

Speaking of Pinkel, he's used other jobs as leverage for more pay at Mizzou. It sounds like Marrone didn't even give SU that chance.

Maybe after working all those years in the NFL he got fed up with prospects saying no thanks on the recruiting trail because a snake oil salesman told a kid he could win a national championship at Rutgers. Maybe he got fed up with having coaches visit recruits at 4:30 in the AM. Maybe he got fed up with a recruit switching schools to play another position and then getting switched to what he would have played at SU. Maybe he got sick of recruits flip flopping where they wanted to go to school and then begging to come back.

If you can't tell, I think he hated recruiting.

Not sure how to answer this, but I'll bite.

In addition to maybe 6-7 college gigs, the NFL represents the top jobs in the football coaching world. Agreed? Ok thanks.

Now you are reaching in saying that the 4 teams that interviewed him aren't cream of the crop? These jobs are all good. It isn't Dallas, NYG or GB, but it is still the NFL.

Give me a break guy.

That doesn't mean the potential employers know what they're doing. Several NFL organizations are poorly run, including the Bills and Browns.

You act like every NFL hire is a great hire.

What kind of ridiculous statement is that? Should we be satisfied with mediocrity then? Is that the standard?

Pasqualoni deserved to get fired when he did, as the program was heading south. But a good portion of the fan base wasn't satisfied when his worst years were still better than Marrone's best.

This was a great way to leave the Big East, but there's a ton of work left to be done. Marrone was going to have to step up his game to compete in the ACC and I think that's part of why he left.

Yeah because coaching in the NFL is a cake walk compared to coaching in the ACC.

Do you know how stupid that is.

Maybe after working all those years in the NFL he got fed up with prospects saying no thanks on the recruiting trail because a snake oil salesman told a kid he could win a national championship at Rutgers. Maybe he got fed up with having coaches visit recruits at 4:30 in the AM. Maybe he got fed up with a recruit switching schools to play another position and then getting switched to what he would have played at SU. Maybe he got sick of recruits flip flopping where they wanted to go to school and then begging to come back.

If you can't tell, I think he hated recruiting.

Fair enough. It's still a cash grab, though. He got out as quick as he could. Surely he understood that he would need to recruit when he took the job.

Yeah because coaching in the NFL is a cake walk compared to coaching in the ACC.

Do you know how stupid that is.

He'll be fired in 3 years. I'll be shocked otherwise. He'll walk away with more bank than he would have after suffering the same fate at SU. Then he'll go back to being an assistant or try his hand as a college coach again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom