My take on what will happen today | Syracusefan.com

My take on what will happen today

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Dennis Dodd in an article:

Prediction: USC 56, Syracuse 17

I picked USC 49 SU 14 because:

1. I think USC has too many offensive weapons Barkley, Lee, Woods, Reid

2. Special teams, I think the Syracuse kickers did a good job with distance but they have to be wiser with the direction of their kicks. Last week our coverage team looked slow and didn't stay in their lanes. Punts have to go in a direction that limits USC's return options and go where the coverage team know where it's going. With Lee back there for USC, kicking the ball out of bounds might be the best option. Big returns energize the offensive team and deflate the defenders. Why give him a chance?

3. USC is extra motivated to pour it on as they let their foot off the accelerator against Hawaii and the voters jumped Alabama over them as the Crimson Tide thrashed a better opponent in Michigan.

4. While Ryan Nassib, at times, looked like a Heisman candidate, you have to remember he was going up against 3 rookie DB's who have no where near the pedigree that the Trojan D-backs T.J. McDonald and Thorpe candidate Nickell Robey do. Northwestern's pass rush was nearly nonexistent. They made our three replacement O-line starters look All Big East. Meanwhile, USC's D line got into the Rainbow's backfield 12 times. Look for Ryan to be scrambling more and hurrying his throws. The SU receivers won't be into their breaks in time and there will be a lower completion ratio and possibly some interceptions. USC is the #2 team in the country, Northwestern will probably be in the bottom third of the Big 10.

5. There is no home field advantage, no deafening crowd noise, no sweltering heat caused by the Dome. USC will be able to hear their signals and audible's.

6. Too many penalties, too many turnovers. The same things that plagued SU last year are back again and cost us a victory in the opener. In our final game in 2011, where we needed a win against Pitt to become bowl eligible, we had 10 penalties and 5 turnovers. Against Northwestern we had 12 penalties for 72 yards. There was that pass that should have been caught by Sales that turned into a touchdown one play after the interception .The fumble on a mental mistake by Jerome Smith, he did not play through the whistle, the ball was scooped up and turned into another Northwestern touchdown.

That crucial penalty by Keon Lynn which has been debated but nonetheless led to the winning touchdown for Northwestern on the very next play from the nine yard line.

Against a team like USC, with a veteran QB, one who could very likely be a top five contender for the Heisman Trophy, that stuff won't fly. I hope I'm wrong and SU pulls a Nebraska like upset. That would be huge as there are going to be a large number of recruits attending this game at MetLife Stadium.

I wish I could be optimistic about the final score, but I feel pretty much exactly the same as you do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom