My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Sorry this is late. Lot of stuff going on. Won't be really in depth.

Weird game. SU dominates the first quarter, gets destroyed in the second, controls the third quarter almost completely and completely falls apart in the fourth quarter. Again.

Thought the biggest play of the game was the 3rd and long USF had late in the 3rd quarter when they decided to run up the middle. We had the holes plugged inside so the RB broke outside to the left. No one was there and he ended up running for a TD from 50 yards or so away.

I think Winfield really blew his assignment on that play. He was lined outside on the right and was in perfect position to make the play, or at least direct the RB back inside (there was no one to block him). But just before the ball was snapped, he saw there was no one blocking him and for some reason ran to the middle of the field, near where the safeties line up, taking himself out of the play for no apparent reason. Too bad, because Winfield has arguably been our best defender so far this season.

As in the UL game, whenever USF really needed a first down, they seemed to go with a QB run and like the UL game, they usually got a big chunk of yardage when they made this call. Seemed like we had people in position to make a play a lot but they just couldn't make an open field tackle.

Thought Ellison looked fast and really agile in his first start. Blew some assignments but it looked like he knows how to tackle and make hard hits. Williams also started, as we have already lost both starters at safety. Thought he looked okay but very tentative.

Philips is really looking like a WR now. Etta-Towa brings a level of power and physical play to the WR position we desperately need more of. Wish Custis was healthy and played like Amba. Surprised Ishmael continues to be used so rarely.

Good to see more success running the ball inside. Looked like the blocking was a little better. Lots of runs was close to being broken for big gains but Neal or Strickland were brought down by an arm tackle late. gainst a big strong DL, I would think Fredericks would be a better option than the other RBs. Looks like he runs harder and is a lot stronger than the other guys. I bet he breaks a few of those close calls. I wonder what he did to get into the doghouse so deeply?

Thought Byrne did a good job overall with his first start at center. Looked like he called out the blocking assignments fine, blocked pretty well. But his shot gun snapping was really bad. Dungey made 3 or 4 great plays to complete passes catching the ball off a bounce or two. He needs to get better at this. Fast.

Hope Samuels is okay. That injury didn't look good. I fear he is lost for the season.

Auggie Sanchez seemed to be in on every tackle USF made.

USF WR #87 was really really fast. We don't have much speed on the corners.

USF brought about 50 fans. Close to half came to the Fine Lot tailgate.

Mr Excitement must have been excited. He referred to the visiting team as Florida State at least twice.

Strong presence of diesel fumes again during the game. Thankfully, the overwhelming heat and humidity two rows from the top of the Dome kept me conscious.

I didn't see a single out of town score and I looked at the scoreboards a lot. Are they even trying to provide this as a service any longer?

Was given an SU car flag when I drove into the Fine Lot from the guy who takes my parking ticket stub. That was an unexpected and appreciated gesture.

Orange Girl for 2016 is really talented. She might be the best one I have ever seen.

Sean Riley is good. He is making some mistakes now and is not sure of himself but he has big time talent as a return guy.

Cole Murphy is off to a really good start. Even his KOs (with one exception) have been consistently good. Deep and in a corner...

Several of Dungey's interceptions were well thrown and accurate, but lacked the mustard to get past a hard charging USF defender. Their defense had very good closing speed and that speed killed. Still think Eric has a bit of a dead arm and is not throwing the ball with the velocity he did last season.

Also think Eric is making some bad decisions with the RPO calls he is asked to make with each play. It is asking a lot of a young QB to do this and I am sure he will get better at it over time. The timing on passing plays is often off by a bit as well. You can see where it can and will get better over time. One thing you can saw about Dungey is that he is one tough kid.

This is a really young team. They are going to make mistakes and going to be dominated physically by older and bigger teams sometimes. But they are gaining valuable experience that will pay off in the coming years, when we will become a really experienced veteran team. No one wants to wait for it but it takes time to build something good. Patience is required. I hope people understand and stay with this staff and these kids. It will be worth the wait (the juice will be worth the squeeze).

War Damn Otto!

That 50 yard TD run was on 4th and 1 wasn't it? I thought that's why we all crashed inside. But good point on Winfield. My kingdom for senior year Brandon Reddish.

When I watch Dungey, it looks like he gets in a bad habit of pushing the ball instead of throwing it. Like a pitcher who gets himself in trouble trying to aim the ball too much. He just needs to relax and throw it.

I really like our WRs. 1 thru 4, all capable of making plays in this offense. But I wouldn't mind having a couple of theirs. Tall, big, fast. They just looked like prototypes.

samuels had his ankle taped and was walking off the field at the end of the first half. good sign he was walking on it.

I hesitated to even bring up out of town scores. never been to any other event where this happens. even HS games do it.

Late throws caused 2 INTs , a couple other decisions turned big plays in avg ones.

The inability of our RBs to get thru tackles hurts this offense. even in the open field we seldom make a guy miss for extra yards other than phillips or Towa.

"Strong presence of diesel fumes again during the game. Thankfully, the overwhelming heat and humidity two rows from the top of the Dome kept me conscious."

HA! I sit about 10 rows beneath you. Didn't smell the fumes but certainly experienced extreme discomfort from heat.

Like others, when Babers went for it on 4th down in center field in the 2nd quarter, I thought it was a huge mistake. My heart plummeted. And it led to the second touchdown by FSU.

What I saw on that 50 yard run was USF send everyone to the right and all of SUs DB, S, and LBs shift that way leaving nobody on the other side and the RB just took the handoff and ran around that end with nobody in sight.

OrangePA said:
Evan Adams moved people on the OL. Fredericks needs more time on the field - he is strong and agile and is productive.

I like that shoulder dip Fredericks gives people.

Evan Adams moved people on the OL.

Fredericks needs more time on the field - he is strong and agile and is productive.

I wonder if Adams can play RT.

What I saw on that 50 yard run was USF send everyone to the right and all of SUs DB, S, and LBs shift that way leaving nobody on the other side and the RB just took the handoff and ran around that end with nobody in sight.
Yeah Winfield shifted

Babers needed to take a TO there. You could tell before the snap that we were screwed.

Weird game. SU dominates the first quarter, gets destroyed in the second, controls the third quarter almost completely and completely falls apart in the fourth quarter. Again.

Thought the biggest play of the game was the 3rd and long USF had late in the 3rd quarter when they decided to run up the middle. We had the holes plugged inside so the RB broke outside to the left. No one was there and he ended up running for a TD from 50 yards or so away.

I think Winfield really blew his assignment on that play. He was lined outside on the right and was in perfect position to make the play, or at least direct the RB back inside (there was no one to block him). But just before the ball was snapped, he saw there was no one blocking him and for some reason ran to the middle of the field, near where the safeties line up, taking himself out of the play for no apparent reason. Too bad, because Winfield has arguably been our best defender so far this season.

As in the UL game, whenever USF really needed a first down, they seemed to go with a QB run and like the UL game, they usually got a big chunk of yardage when they made this call. Seemed like we had people in position to make a play a lot but they just couldn't make an open field tackle.

Thought Ellison looked fast and really agile in his first start. Blew some assignments but it looked like he knows how to tackle and make hard hits. Williams also started, as we have already lost both starters at safety. Thought he looked okay but very tentative.

Philips is really looking like a WR now. Etta-Towa brings a level of power and physical play to the WR position we desperately need more of. Wish Custis was healthy and played like Amba. Surprised Ishmael continues to be used so rarely.

Good to see more success running the ball inside. Looked like the blocking was a little better. Lots of runs was close to being broken for big gains but Neal or Strickland were brought down by an arm tackle late. gainst a big strong DL, I would think Fredericks would be a better option than the other RBs. Looks like he runs harder and is a lot stronger than the other guys. I bet he breaks a few of those close calls. I wonder what he did to get into the doghouse so deeply?

Thought Byrne did a good job overall with his first start at center. Looked like he called out the blocking assignments fine, blocked pretty well. But his shot gun snapping was really bad. Dungey made 3 or 4 great plays to complete passes catching the ball off a bounce or two. He needs to get better at this. Fast.

Hope Samuels is okay. That injury didn't look good. I fear he is lost for the season.

Mr Excitement must have been excited. He referred to the visiting team as Florida State at least twice.

Strong presence of diesel fumes again during the game. Thankfully, the overwhelming heat and humidity two rows from the top of the Dome kept me conscious.

I didn't see a single out of town score and I looked at the scoreboards a lot. Are they even trying to provide this as a service any longer?

Was given an SU car flag when I drove into the Fine Lot from the guy who takes my parking ticket stub. That was an unexpected and appreciated gesture.

Orange Girl for 2016 is really talented. She might be the best one I have ever seen.

Sean Riley is good. He is making some mistakes now and is not sure of himself but he has big time talent as a return guy.

Cole Murphy is off to a really good start. Even his KOs (with one exception) have been consistently good. Deep and in a corner...

Several of Dungey's interceptions were well thrown and accurate, but lacked the mustard to get past a hard charging USF defender. Their defense had very good closing speed and that speed killed. Still think Eric has a bit of a dead arm and is not throwing the ball with the velocity he did last season.

Also think Eric is making some bad decisions with the RPO calls he is asked to make with each play. It is asking a lot of a young QB to do this and I am sure he will get better at it over time. The timing on passing plays is often off by a bit as well. You can see where it can and will get better over time. One thing you can saw about Dungey is that he is one tough kid.

This is a really young team. They are going to make mistakes and going to be dominated physically by older and bigger teams sometimes. But they are gaining valuable experience that will pay off in the coming years, when we will become a really experienced veteran team. No one wants to wait for it but it takes time to build something good. Patience is required. I hope people understand and stay with this staff and these kids. It will be worth the wait (the juice will be worth the squeeze).

War Damn Otto!

Interesting that you and some others have mentioned about Eric's dead arm and passes lacking some zip. I thought the same thing myself particularly against South Florida but I don't trust my knowledge/opinion so was interested to see what others thought. Hopefully he will build up his strength and stamina as he gets more experience in the system.

Interesting that you and some others have mentioned about Eric's dead arm and passes lacking some zip. I thought the same thing myself particularly against South Florida but I don't trust my knowledge/opinion so was interested to see what others thought. Hopefully he will build up his strength and stamina as he gets more experience in the system.
This was the first game I noticed that his passing seemed different. His passes definitely hung and sailed leading to some very close calls and some missed opportunities to open WRs. I noticed more side-arming.

Seems like all the quick (voluminous) reps in preseason may have resulted in a fatigued arm. There must be some way of reducing the number of preseason passes without negatively impacting practice. Maybe next season fewer reps for Dungey needed since he has experience and more reps for Rex and Devito.

feels to me like someone said. he is aiming not throwing. but i think some of that is not knowing where he is going with the ball soon enough and then not getting his feet set. much like Hunt used to do waiting for the open guy instead of trusting he will be open.. a few times he did anticipate it players werent ready. but if he throws 2-3 throws a beat sooner we end up with big plays and not INTs

"Strong presence of diesel fumes again during the game. Thankfully, the overwhelming heat and humidity two rows from the top of the Dome kept me conscious."

HA! I sit about 10 rows beneath you. Didn't smell the fumes but certainly experienced extreme discomfort from heat.

Like others, when Babers went for it on 4th down in center field in the 2nd quarter, I thought it was a huge mistake. My heart plummeted. And it led to the second touchdown by FSU.

FSU has yet to score on us. :rolleyes:

War Damn Otto!

Tomcat. When Dungey came off the field in the 2nd qtr thru 4th qtr he would take off his helmet and was breathing way too heavy. In the previous 2 games he was hyped all game. He looked like he was sick from my angle...just wasn't close enough to tell for sure.

Tomcat. When Dungey came off the field in the 2nd qtr thru 4th qtr he would take off his helmet and was breathing way too heavy. In the previous 2 games he was hyped all game. He looked like he was sick from my angle...just wasn't close enough to tell for sure.
That would make sense. Reading my post, it might sound like I don't like Eric as a QB. Nothing could be further from the truth.

He is in a tough spot. We don't have many WRs who can get open against good CBs, our OL is really young/doesn't do a great job pass protecting (including our RB, who missed picking up the blitz at least once), up until now we haven't had much of a running game to take the pressure of and the defense isn't helping take the pressure off too.

Add in a brand new QB centric offense where he is being asked to make a lot of decisions really quickly, and a first time starter at center who regularly bounced the ball to him off the snap and it is no wonder he was breathing hard. I would have a panic attack before the first snap.

Dungey had good arm strength last season. Can't anyone remember him throwing the ball on a line 40 or 50 yards with a flick of his wrist back then? It wasn't Perry Patterson strong but it was stronger than Greg Paulus, and certainly Zack Mahoney. As as aside, I thought last year Zack had the worst arm strength of any SU QB who started a game since the days of Tim Wilson. He has improved it some since last year but will never be known for the zip on his throws.

Anyway, I love Eric's courage, toughness and accuracy. I am sure his arm strength will come back. If he is sick, let's hope he is 100% for UConn.

Dungey and Whitner are roomates. The announcers stated they got a note just before the game was to start that Whitner wasn't playing. Never said if he was injured or ill. You might have a point.

Dungey and Whitner are roomates. The announcers stated they got a note just before the game was to start that Whitner wasn't playing. Never said if he was injured or ill. You might have a point.
Gary and I also noticed tepid throwing. I hope he WAS sick, because that is the best explanation and can lead to a quick resolution. Yup, I'm actually wishing illness on our QB. To the stockades with me!

That's a good point brought up by Chakka and that's one thing we fans often don't realize is that these kids get sick like all of us do and that fatigue can set in quite quickly. As if these darn injuries weren't enough to battle!

That's a good point brought up by Chakka and that's one thing we fans often don't realize is that these kids get sick like all of us do and that fatigue can set in quite quickly. As if these darn injuries weren't enough to battle!

Especially a few weeks into the semester.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom