My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Wow. Most of the first half was as bad as I have ever seen a Syracuse basketball team play. No teamwork, lots of selfish, out of control drives, no sign of even attempting to run a half court offense. No hustle on the boards, and, oh yes, horrendous, totally uninspired defense.

No one seemed to know how to play and no one seemed to care, except Brissett, who already plays like a senior at this early stage in his career.

For the second straight game JB was forced to go to the press to get his team back into the game. It was the only way to take advantage of the huge advantage SU had in size and raw talent.

Geno Thorpe played for the first time tonight. He looked cautious, timid and very deferential. Passed it a lot and seemed reluctant to even look at the basket. Hard to believe he average more than 15 ppg last year at USF. His defense was good though, especially in the press. He took set shots from the outside. Didn't see a traditional jumper. Hope that isn't how things are going to go down all season.

FH was pretty awful in the 1st half and a different player in the second, when he run the offense well, finished well and even looked good shooting from the outside. Consistent is one thing he is not.

I was disappointed in the play of Tyus in the first half. Played like a fresh, got frustrated. Drove out if control repeatedly and forced some questionable 3 point shots. He also looked vastly better in the second half.

I don't think PC is going to contribute much offensively all season but I think his defensive positioning and reactions are noticably improved. He is making a couple of spectacular blocks every game too. Nice to see.

Thought BS had another good game. Love smart players and Dib gets it. Takes good angles defensively and has a knack for finishing when he gets the ball down low. Rebounding will be a problem against big, strong guys but I would rather have him than TT even as a true frost.

MM looked rusty and a bit if a mess early but got into the swing of things later and started making contributions, mostly by rebounding the ball, especially on the offensive end, I think we all need to be patient with him. He isn't pretty most of the time, and he is making lots if mistakes, but there is a good player under the rust and nervousness.

Thought HW played pretty well again. Made a couple bad TOs but he can score and knows the game. I think he is more like Scoop or Greg Monroe than Tyler but at this point, I would take either type very gladly.

MD looked athletic, real promising on defense and kind if limited on offense. Missed a few jumpers, didn't do much on offense. But he drew some fouls and got to the line, which he will do a lot if as he progresses. Hope he stays in the rotation and keeps growing.

Am a big fan of OB. Athletic, confident, smart. Can defend, rebound and score. What is nor to like about him?

We shouldn't need to press a team like this to win. That is the bad news.

The good news is that we can press small teams that should have a major advantage in quickness and make them look bad. We have some really athletic and aggressive guys on the team and this might be a rare year where the press is used for many games. That would be pretty cool.

Wow. Most of the first half was as bad as I have ever seen a Syracuse basketball team play. No teamwork, lots of selfish, out of control drives, no sign of even attempting to run a half court offense. No hustle on the boards, and, oh yes, horrendous, totally uninspired defense.

No one seemed to know how to play and no one seemed to care, except Brissett, who already plays like a senior at this early stage in his career.

For the second straight game JB was forced to go to the press to get his team back into the game. It was the only way to take advantage of the huge advantage SU had in size and raw talent.

Geno Thorpe played for the first time tonight. He looked cautious, timid and very deferential. Passed it a lot and seemed reluctant to even look at the basket. Hard to believe he average more than 15 ppg last year at USF. His defense was good though, especially in the press. He took set shots from the outside. Didn't see a traditional jumper. Hope that isn't how things are going to go down all season.

FH was pretty awful in the 1st half and a different player in the second, when he run the offense well, finished well and even looked good shooting from the outside. Consistent is one thing he is not.

I was disappointed in the play of Tyus in the first half. Played like a fresh, got frustrated. Drove out if control repeatedly and forced some questionable 3 point shots. He also looked vastly better in the second half.

I don't think PC is going to contribute much offensively all season but I think his defensive positioning and reactions are noticably improved. He is making a couple of spectacular blocks every game too. Nice to see.

Thought BS had another good game. Love smart players and Dib gets it. Takes good angles defensively and has a knack for finishing when he gets the ball down low. Rebounding will be a problem against big, strong guys but I would rather have him than TT even as a true frost.

MM looked rusty and a bit if a mess early but got into the swing of things later and started making contributions, mostly by rebounding the ball, especially on the offensive end, I think we all need to be patient with him. He isn't pretty most of the time, and he is making lots if mistakes, but there is a good player under the rust and nervousness.

Thought HW played pretty well again. Made a couple bad TOs but he can score and knows the game. I think he is more like Scoop or Greg Monroe than Tyler but at this point, I would take either type very gladly.

MD looked athletic, real promising on defense and kind if limited on offense. Missed a few jumpers, didn't do much on offense. But he drew some fouls and got to the line, which he will do a lot if as he progresses. Hope he stays in the rotation and keeps growing.

Am a big fan of OB. Athletic, confident, smart. Can defend, rebound and score. What is nor to like about him?

The good news is that we can press small teams that should have a major advantage in quickness and make them look bad. We have some really athletic and aggressive guys on the team and this might be a rare year where the press is used for many games. That would be pretty cool.
Thanks, Tom.
Didn't watch the game, and I was looking for a measured response to what was undoubtedly a bi-polar performance from the guys. The problem is if we keep getting off to these slow starts, teams like KU, not to mention the entire ACC, will bury us early and we won't be able to bounce back.
Curious whether you think FH has a chance to be more consistent. Is it just a question of constant PT and repetition before it finally clicks, or is this the player we have, Sybil as our PG?

Thanks Tom, but SCSU is a so-so Division 2 team.

Yeah, we'll improve, but we're in big trouble.

I wonder what JB said to the team at half time?

Some interesting tidbits. John Wallace’s son, a junior was #22 on SCSU, he didn’t shoot well (8 points on 3-14 shooting) but did get 6 rebounds. John Wallace and Lawrence Moten were in attendance at the game. Their coach is Scott Burrell, a name most SU fans will remember having played for UConn. They are well coached.

In the 2nd half an SU cheerleader took a nasty fall and was injured. Hoping she is okay.

really like your takes, but - did you not notice how hobbled Geno still clearly is?
(not that his being hobbled explains the team's horrible play in the 1st half)

$&@/#]%~\\#^*€~$(&$@

I'm guessing he didnt dissect too many hours of game tape in preparation for this team. After stammering and managing to get out that they should play a bit less selfishly, it's possible he realized this was beyond the scope of his superpowers and in complete disbelief over the current situation suggested they seek help from about the only thing that could help them, a higher power/mediation...before slipping away to wherever he goes for quiet and breaking however long of alcohol self-prohibition with a stiff drink.

500 team at best

Dont be so down on them. A certain country(which I wont name) would gladly pay that much a piece for them, for organ harvesting.

this might be a rare year where the press is used for many games. That would be pretty cool.
Still trunk monkey or any signs of a disciplined 2-2-1?

to much bad stuff to talk about, as for battle's 1st half performance it seemed to me that he was trying to hard to make up for the rest of the teams lack of performance. this is a barely a 500 team at this point. the bigs,tried hard but will be of little help this year. fh may turn out to be a good player. i do not feel that moyer will be as he seems to have issues and did not mesh well at all with team. hope he grows up in a hurry and can get some focus.
i thought they tried hard, and do not fault that. they are seeking an identity, and leadership. the first half showed all of that. i believe they will improve.from being a collection of strangers, to a more cohesive albeit a pedestrian team. they will need to find their comfort zone as a unit. its up to jb to help them do it. i am not ready to throw in the towel, but every game will be an adventure!!!!!

Great writeup!

Agree so much with this about MD. At least for now, his defense is going to be a real asset. He covers a lot of ground on the wing. He battles hard for everything, unfortunately his size is going to limit him a bit. One thing of note, I saw last night. The flat jumper he had, that we all commented on in his videos, appears to be working it's way out. I can think of 2 three point attempts he took last night, and both had a nice arc on them. Really like his potential!!

Great writeup!

Agree so much with this about MD. At least for now, his defense is going to be a real asset. He covers a lot of ground on the wing. He battles hard for everything, unfortunately his size is going to limit him a bit. One thing of note, I saw last night. The flat jumper he had, that we all commented on in his videos, appears to be working it's way out. I can think of 2 three point attempts he took last night, and both had a nice arc on them. Really like his potential!!
Kind of funny but I had he same thought. One was a serious rainbow! The fts were really flat though.

really like your takes, but - did you not notice how hobbled Geno still clearly is?
(not that his being hobbled explains the team's horrible play in the 1st half)

Yup, that was very noticeable imo. The announcers even talked about how he grimaced after trying to launch off that ankle on his first possession. He didn't have any lift at all but kept trying to drive to the hoop. Each time he tried he was blocked. I just hope he didn't make that ankle any worse last night.

Thorpe - I hope - was still bothered by whatever his injury is. We need him to be good to better than good or else this is going to be a long haul. I also think JB is going to have quick hooks on the front line if they don't show effort. Effort is the only differential between any of them right now except for OB who is going to put up Frosh player of the year numbers by default.

Thanks, Tom.
Didn't watch the game, and I was looking for a measured response to what was undoubtedly a bi-polar performance from the guys. The problem is if we keep getting off to these slow starts, teams like KU, not to mention the entire ACC, will bury us early and we won't be able to bounce back.
Curious whether you think FH has a chance to be more consistent. Is it just a question of constant PT and repetition before it finally clicks, or is this the player we have, Sybil as our PG?
Everyone justifiably gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was a frosh given his injured senior season of HS and his transition to PG. But he is a junior now.

There comes a point in every player's career when inconsistency should level out and be replaced by steady play. To my eyes, Frank has really wild swings of good to bad and bad to good play. Maybe the wildest I have ever seen from any player in any sport. So I guess it will take longer for a player with his history.

I don't know if he is ever going to settle down. I think it would probably be best for the team for him to mostly play the 2, with Geno at the 1, and Battle at the 3. I think this team is going to struggle scoring in half court situations for sure, but with these guys, Brissett and Sidibe, there is enough outside shooting, passing and floor spacing to score some points.

This is what I hope will happen. But I want to see Geno playing the point more. He wasn't looking really comfortable there last night.

Everyone justifiably gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was a frosh given his injured senior season of HS and his transition to PG. But he is a junior now.

There comes a point in every player's career when inconsistency should level out and be replaced by steady play. To my eyes, Frank has really wild swings of good to bad and bad to good play. Maybe the wildest I have ever seen from any player in any sport. So I guess it will take longer for a player with his history.

I don't know if he is ever going to settle down. I think it would probably be best for the team for him to mostly play the 2, with Geno at the 1, and Battle at the 3. I think this team is going to struggle scoring in half court situations for sure, but with these guys, Brissett and Sidibe, there is enough outside shooting, passing and floor spacing to score some points.

This is what I hope will happen. But I want to see Geno playing the point more. He wasn't looking really comfortable there last night.
I have never seen a player at this level lose the ball like Frank does. It’s incredible.

Yup, that was very noticeable imo. The announcers even talked about how he grimaced after trying to launch off that ankle on his first possession. He didn't have any lift at all but kept trying to drive to the hoop. Each time he tried he was blocked. I just hope he didn't make that ankle any worse last night.
Yes, agree. Sometimes, I wish we would the staff would have the strength to sit players with injuries and let them heal. I think Lydon got hurt early last season and never played at 100%. We are clearly going to need Geno down the road. Do what needs to be done to get him 100% now, while there is still time and the opponents are not very good.

I'm guessing he didnt dissect too many hours of game tape in preparation for this team. After stammering and managing to get out that they should play a bit less selfishly, it's possible he realized this was beyond the scope of his superpowers and in complete disbelief over the current situation suggested they seek help from about the only thing that could help them, a higher power/mediation...before slipping away to wherever he goes for quiet and breaking however long of alcohol self-prohibition with a stiff drink.
Cali?

I have never seen a player at this level lose the ball like Frank does. It’s incredible.
Also one of the worst defenders too. Saw so many times he just jogged back on D or let his man get by him on the press, whereas other guys were giving a 100%.

I thought Thorpe was obviously hobbled. He came down awkwardly at one point in the first half and was grimacing. He never looked like he had his feet under him and didn't look very quick at all, nor could he jump off the foot. Hopefully, it was the ankle and not what we'll actually see.

I wish this team didn't have to play zone. The best lineup would probably be HW/GT/TB/FH/OB or with 3 guards and OB/BS. Neither is a lineup that can or will succeed playing zone and rebound out of it.

But I want to see Geno playing the point more. He wasn't looking really comfortable there last night.
again, did you not notice how hobbled he still is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom