My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

To me the defensive breakdown is pretty simple.

Wake came in here with a senior QB (ala Cooper) and played behind a talented, experienced and well coached OL. In addition, they utilized a scatback RB with 4.4 speed.

We countered with an average DL and only one decent pash rusher in Robinson. Our LB’s, while great most of the time are at there weakest against short quick RBs and QB’s who can get rid of it quickly. Most damaging however was our 3rd string D3 safety in Rodney Williams. His 4.8 speed and lack of instincts were no match for what Wake had yesterday. He was exploited allllll game.
Last game too. Martin, while inexperienced, was much faster (and bigger). That’s one of the depth issues Barbers was referring to post-game. My problem is the total lack of a game plan (spy, whatever) for Worfford. The loss of contain was also partly coaching ... IMO. And if you can’t stop them, at least slow the game down.

People were clamoring for Rodney Williams. Sorry, but he’s not an ACC level player. Not even close.

Well, at the least, it was an interesting game. Wake came out like a house on fire. Syracuse roared back and looked close to blowing the Deacons out.

And then...a disastrous second half.

Watching the teams play,you could see a unity with the WF OL. They pulled in unison, and stayed in formation well down the field. They didn't run many plays, but the plays they ran were run with great precision. We never got any penetration or had played in the backfield. Even when our defense broke through and made a good tackle, they gained 3 or4 yards. When we ran the ball, our OL got no push and our RBs would often have to make a really nice run just to get back to the LOS. This WF OL was awful 3 years ago, bad 2 years ago and decent last season. I hope our OL is on a similar track.

Another thing that stood out was the play of the WF corners. They were in tight on our WRs every play. Lots of contact, bumping, little holds, tugs and shoves. Our CBs never did any of that and gave the WF WRs room almost every time they passed the ball. The ACC refs give defenders the benefit of the doubt a lot and we must change our defensive philosophy accordingly.

The last thing was hoe well Worfford ran the WF offense. He doesn't have a strong arm and isn't very big but he made good reads over and over and after the 2nd quarter, our defense could never make any adjustments.

They exposed our small 4.7 40 safeties and our small linebackers with passes over the middle where our defenders struggled to get within 10 yards of the receivers.

Our defense was totally confused by their scheme and couldn't do anything right. It was astonishing how many times they ran that sweep left to Coburne, where our DE would get caught inside and blew contain. We are playing undersized DEs on both sides, really LBs playing out of position and they made us pay the price.
Even though our guys are small and weak, they still should be able to handle basic assignments, make a read and get to where they need to be. If they ran that sweep 30 times, I only remember one time our DE played it properly (Guthrie) and Wake was called for a hold on the play.

Props to WF for making a great gameplan, surely helped by the film they saw of what FSU did running the ball last week. It doesn't bode well for next week or the week after. Especially with ED injured.

To win consistently in this league, we need safeties who can run and tackle and are big enough to ride on the big roller coasters. We need DEs who are tall and fast and weigh at least 250. We need tough, physical CBs with some size.

I think we are on the right track but some fundamental weaknesses with the defense were exposed yesterday. And for all the success the offense had in the first half, they have to enjoy success in both halves. The inconsistency of the offense was hurt the team all season, and it needs to get fixed for next season. Not sure what it is that is causing it, probably the youth of the OL, along with some problems with play calling. Who is calling the plays? Lynch? I think Dino is calling TOs sometimes in key situations so he can make the play call. I sense he is losing confidence here...

Props to WF for out coaching us in the second half by 40+ points? So we are just gonna say, hey great job and not question our lack of adjustments? Wow. Well, thats what those close to the program do. This was a monumental out behind the woodshed coaching whooping at HT by the Wake staff. Carried out to perfection. I hate to say it but, YES. Add in the fact Lewis wouldnt stem off the fact we kept running 5 yard passes left , then right over and over in the flat and they finally jumped a few in the second half! Of Course they did! Wth. The middle of the field was AGAIN neglected and it hurts us. As bad as the D played, this is in part on the O, and their inability to move the ball in the second half.

Also, lost completely this year was the assertion that the offense would start clicking in games 4-6. I think we can see that the system is not without needing some context but this bears being repeated. Dino is our man, he needs to keep the faith now more than ever, but this particular claim did not come to fruition.

Well, at the least, it was an interesting game. Wake came out like a house on fire. Syracuse roared back and looked close to blowing the Deacons out.

And then...a disastrous second half.

Watching the teams play,you could see a unity with the WF OL. They pulled in unison, and stayed in formation well down the field. They didn't run many plays, but the plays they ran were run with great precision. We never got any penetration or had played in the backfield. Even when our defense broke through and made a good tackle, they gained 3 or4 yards. When we ran the ball, our OL got no push and our RBs would often have to make a really nice run just to get back to the LOS. This WF OL was awful 3 years ago, bad 2 years ago and decent last season. I hope our OL is on a similar track.

Another thing that stood out was the play of the WF corners. They were in tight on our WRs every play. Lots of contact, bumping, little holds, tugs and shoves. Our CBs never did any of that and gave the WF WRs room almost every time they passed the ball. The ACC refs give defenders the benefit of the doubt a lot and we must change our defensive philosophy accordingly.

The last thing was hoe well Worfford ran the WF offense. He doesn't have a strong arm and isn't very big but he made good reads over and over and after the 2nd quarter, our defense could never make any adjustments.

They exposed our small 4.7 40 safeties and our small linebackers with passes over the middle where our defenders struggled to get within 10 yards of the receivers.

Our defense was totally confused by their scheme and couldn't do anything right. It was astonishing how many times they ran that sweep left to Coburne, where our DE would get caught inside and blew contain. We are playing undersized DEs on both sides, really LBs playing out of position and they made us pay the price.
Even though our guys are small and weak, they still should be able to handle basic assignments, make a read and get to where they need to be. If they ran that sweep 30 times, I only remember one time our DE played it properly (Guthrie) and Wake was called for a hold on the play.

Props to WF for making a great gameplan, surely helped by the film they saw of what FSU did running the ball last week. It doesn't bode well for next week or the week after. Especially with ED injured.

To win consistently in this league, we need safeties who can run and tackle and are big enough to ride on the big roller coasters. We need DEs who are tall and fast and weigh at least 250. We need tough, physical CBs with some size.

I think we are on the right track but some fundamental weaknesses with the defense were exposed yesterday. And for all the success the offense had in the first half, they have to enjoy success in both halves. The inconsistency of the offense was hurt the team all season, and it needs to get fixed for next season. Not sure what it is that is causing it, probably the youth of the OL, along with some problems with play calling. Who is calling the plays? Lynch? I think Dino is calling TOs sometimes in key situations so he can make the play call. I sense he is losing confidence here...

"Another thing that stood out was the play of the WF corners. They were in tight on our WRs every play. Lots of contact, bumping, little holds, tugs and shoves. Our CBs never did any of that and gave the WF WRs room almost every time they passed the ball. The ACC refs give defenders the benefit of the doubt a lot and we must change our defensive philosophy accordingly."

Yup.

upload_2017-11-12_23-55-17.png

People were clamoring for Rodney Williams. Sorry, but he’s not an ACC level player. Not even close.

He's a very solid LB/DB hybrid when used correctly but does struggle in straight coverage.

i thought our defense looked woefully unprepared for this game.
did no one tell the d-ends to stay at home?
you score 43 pts, you should win the game.
...just out of curiosity, which part of this team does Dino get credit for?
implementing Art Briles offense, or his own defensive prowess?

To add a little color to Tom's report, I'll add that the band's halftime military tribute was really well done. And they were joined by a small Army band (wearing combat fatigues, strange, but they still were better dressed than the football team) who added a sousaphone. Nice touch.

To add a little color to Tom's report, I'll add that the band's halftime military tribute was really well done. And they were joined by a small Army band (wearing combat fatigues, strange, but they still were better dressed than the football team) who added a sousaphone. Nice touch.
It was cool. There was an induction ceremony for new recruits before the game and one of the women in the military band sang the NA (and nailed it).

The highlight for me was Stars and Stripes Forever.

The new director of the SUMB has the band doing more formations, more marching and they look like they have upped their game from last season. Looks to me as though that was a good hire. Still don't have enough tubas though...

Losing Eric made us one dimensional and once figured that out it was over. They took away the short outs and slants brought pressure almost every down and played press coverage daring us to beat them deep.

Yup..while Mahoney certainly played well enough to deserve a win, in the second half, they put their corners on an island and dared Mahoney to beat them deep on the outside.

Our WRs won the 1 v 1 battle numerous times but Mahoney missed at least 6 or 7 deep throws in the second half when our guys had their corners by a couple steps...

There was one sequence where we had the ball 1st and 10 at their 40 (give or take) and threw deep on three consecutive plays. One to the left and twice to the right. Each time our guy had at least a step but Mahoney missed all three throws...

Yup..while Mahoney certainly played well enough to deserve a win, in the second half, they put their corners on an island and dared Mahoney to beat them deep on the outside.

Our WRs won the 1 v 1 battle numerous times but Mahoney missed at least 6 or 7 deep throws in the second half when our guys had their corners by a couple steps...

There was one sequence where we had the ball 1st and 10 at their 40 (give or take) and threw deep on three consecutive plays. One to the left and twice to the right. Each time our guy had at least a step but Mahoney missed all three throws...
Agreed. Smart moves by WF.

It makes the decision on who to start next week tougher. UL is going to give Mahoney the same treatment and if he can't make a completion of more than 15 yards, we are going to have another long day. Even against their awful secondary.

The first throw was pretty good but the defender broke it up. We were sitting in that corner.

The answer may be not to have your backup QB throw there straight deep balls into the end zone.

i thought our defense looked woefully unprepared for this game.
did no one tell the d-ends to stay at home?
you score 43 pts, you should win the game.
...just out of curiosity, which part of this team does Dino get credit for?
implementing Art Briles offense, or his own defensive prowess?
implementing art briles offense

The first throw was pretty good but the defender broke it up. We were sitting in that corner.

The answer may be not to have your backup QB throw there straight deep balls into the end zone.

Thanks...I was sitting home field side at opposite 40 so could not see exactly what happened...thought our WR had a step...

Thanks...I was sitting home field side at opposite 40 so could not see exactly what happened...thought our WR had a step...
Aint no baloney cheese he did have a couple steps. If you want to QB in Dino land you have to be able to throw the deep ball well.

Dino has said numerous times this offense takes what the defense gives. On that series with 3 deep throws in a row the defenders were sitting on the short routes. It's why he went deep 3 times in a row. A more accurate qb gets us a TD there and we're up by 10.

He’s got a point. Clemson, FSU, and LSU had major QB issues that made them 1-dimensional and easier to defend.
i would be more upset about the tampa 2's struggles against good NFL caliber qbs if there was any alternative that didn't struggle against good NFL qbs too.

the tampa 2 couldn't stop lamar jackson last year. no shiite! the guy had 3500 yards in the air and 1500 on the ground. ok fine half of those came against us but still, the rest of the year was damn good too

we are not going to waste all our time trying to figure out how to stop great qbs. we are going to focus on trying to keep up and outscore them

Not buying the premise that we lost because Wake simply had better, more experienced players. It doesn’t wash after SU beat Clemson and played well on the road against four other quality opponents.

Wake had a good game plan. And when we started slowing them down, they made the proper adjustment.

That’s coaching.

Spot on. We had the talent to beat wake. APP. st and GT gave up 20 and 24 respectively to this offense. Come on, this was all about coaching. The talent that beat Clemson and held Miami pretty much in check suddenly arent talented anymore? Dino and his staff had their worst 20 minutes in orange and that was in the locker room at HT.

i would be more upset about the tampa 2's struggles against good NFL caliber qbs if there was any alternative that didn't struggle against good NFL qbs too.

the tampa 2 couldn't stop lamar jackson last year. no shiite! the guy had 3500 yards in the air and 1500 on the ground. ok fine half of those came against us but still, the rest of the year was damn good too

we are not going to waste all our time trying to figure out how to stop great qbs. we are going to focus on trying to keep up and outscore them
Based on the WF score, and the fact that the ACC Atlantic probably has the best concentration of college QBs in the country, we probably should.

Based on the WF score, and the fact that the ACC Atlantic probably has the best concentration of college QBs in the country, we probably should.

It was one game. It was our backup QB. It's year 2. It's probably going to happen again this week.

Wolford is a 4 year starter. Lamar is a once every how many years talent? With just a little more talent on our side, there is somewhere between 1 and 4 road games that could have been flipped.

Dino knows how much better this is going to get as the players he has evaluated start taking over. Pinning all our problems on Tampa 2 is short sighted.

Last edited:

You have to think one time this year the opposing QB is going to overthrow his receiver into the arms of an Orange. I'd be curious to see the break down of all the throws this year that even had a chance to be intercepted that were off their target. Imo...that's what is suppose to happen at least a few times in the Tampa 2, correct?

It was one game. It was our backup QB. It's year 2. It's probably going to happen again this week.

Wolford is a 4 year starter. Lamar is a once every how many years talent? With just a little more talent on our side, there is somewhere between 1 and 4 road games that could have been flipped.

Dino knows how much better this is going to get as the players he has evaluated start taking over. Pinning all our problems on Tampa 2 is short sighted.

There's always going to be great QBs in this division. Always. And they'll rip apart a Tampa 2. Don't believe me, but I'm willing to state openly that we won't go much above 7-5, consistently, ever, with that damn Tampa 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom