My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Not much time but a few thoughts...

Oakland was another team that tried full court pressure. All have failed. It helps to have a veteran backcourt. OB and MD are also very comfortable handling the ball. Those two might be our best pair of forwards in terms of ball handling in a long time.

Speaking of talented pairs, the grouping of FH and TB at the top of the zone has been terrific so far this season. Both are long, quick, and good anticipating. At times during the game last night, it was almost a personal contest between the two as to which one could upstage the other with a great defensive play. Lots of blocks, steals and deflections. These guys cover a lot of ground. When opposing players can get off 3s, they are being forced to shoot from really far from the basket.

Couple them with MD and PC, both of whom are playing extraordinary defense, and you have the makings of a great defensive team. BS is also good and OB is not bad at all and appears to be improving with each game. GT's physical problems might be affecting his defense a bit but even now, he is not bad up top. I remain amazed at the improvement of Paschal this season. He was much better than last year from day one but appears to be getting better with each game. It will get harder for him when he goes against centers stronger than he is but it is great to see him playing with confidence and aggressiveness on both sides of the court. Even his rebounding is vastly improved. Would never have guess he would have multiple games with double figure rebounds this early in the season.

Speaking of rebounds, OB had another strong game rebounding. He is doing great so far on that front; I think he is averaging right about 10 rebounds a game. I thought this would not be a good rebounding team. At this point, that looks 100% wrong, though we have been playing small teams all the way so far. The next four games should be very telling on how good we are rebounding and how good this team really is.

We continue to give up 3-5 baskets a game by not hustling back on defense. The good teams coming up are going to notice that and take advantage of it. Hope we get more serious about getting back on defense quickly. I am talking to PC, BS and OB in particular.

We have had some great scorers in the past that are capable of taking over a game with their individual brilliance. Tyus is breaking into that group now. When he gets going, he can do amazing damage in a short amount of time. Very impressive player. The thing I like best about him is that he plays just as hard on defense as he does on offense. I think he sets the tone for the team. When he is playing well, this team is very dangerous.

FH has been a solid scorer all season, and it is great to see. But he did similar things last year early. The increased focus on defense is new. I thought he looked for his own shot a little too much in the first couple of games but is doing a nice job sharing the ball now. You can talk he is PC's roommate. Watch how he tries to get Paschal the ball down low when he can...

Glad Matt got a basket late. I think he needs to get a few scores to gain some confidence. He appears to be forcing things trying to score too much, forcing things when they are not there, trying to give JB reasons for keeping him in the game. MD's excellent play is putting pressure on him and he is not responding well so far. I think he is taking one dribble too many a lot and needs to start taking that mid range jumper that has been available all season. And hitting it. I know he can. Hope he does it. Soon. Great kid who deserves some success on the court.

Last edited:
Good stuff - I liked in the 2nd half when Oakland hit a 3 or snuck close (thanks mostly to our O going to sleep), TB just said "I'm getting a bucket". The rebounding has been a surprise and gives me a little hope because in recent years we haven't dominated the middies on the glass. Glass half full.

My nightmare is what we saw on offense at the start of the 2nd half - ACC teams are going to deny TB the ball and play hard man and make us run an offense. MD is going to have to initiate - OB also needs some of his action around the rim to start dropping. Fortunately their aren't that many teams in the ACC truly committed to guarding.

We continue to give up 3-5 baskets a game by not hustling back on defense. The good teams coming up are going to notice that and take advantage of it. Hope we get more serious about getting back on defense quickly. I am talking to PC, BC and OB in particular.

Who's BC? Did you mean Sidibe? That would be BS, and is it really that hard to just say the guys first or last names? No need for abbreviations, with so many new guys that's too much work for my little brain!

;)

While Paschael may have a tougher time when SU faces teams with stronger centers, I think he has shown that he can't be ignored. For the first time in a long time, players are looking to get the ball inside and both PC and BS have shown they can handle drop off passes and finish. This translate to have opposing centers unable to drop off them so quickly.

Who's BC? Did you mean Sidibe? That would be BS, and is it really that hard to just say the guys first or last names? No need for abbreviations, with so many new guys that's too much work for my little brain!

;)
Yes, BS, not BC. BS, aka Bourama Sidibe. He is a frosh center. I corrected it.

Sorry, but I don't have time to type last names all the time. If you don't like it, feel free to skip my posts.

Not much time but a few thoughts...
Speaking of talented pairs, the grouping of FH and TB at the top of the zone has been terrific so far this season. Both are long, quick, and good anticipating. At times during the game last night, it was almost a personal contest between the two as to which one could upstage the other with a great defensive play. Lots of blocks, steals and deflections. These guys cover a lot of ground. When opposing players can get off 3s, they are being forced to shoot from really far from the basket.

Defense is the key to this year's season. DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE.

Oh yeah, and good defense.

P.S. One more thing: Marek Dolezaj

Yes, BS, not BC. BS, aka Bourama Sidibe. He is a frosh center. I corrected it.

Sorry, but I don't have time to type last names all the time. If you don't like it, feel free to skip my posts.

sutomcat let me first say, I generally really enjoy your takes and analysis, except for your consistent somewhat unwarranted and unfair bashing of the student attendance patterns. (they're on break this week!) I get it. The students of 2017 are not as into the game as they probably were in the 80's and 90's. Part of that is the proliferation of the smartphone. It's hardly unique to the students though, judging on the amount of faces glued to their glowing screens that can be seen around the dome.

Overall, It's great to get your reaction from a very visceral "fan in the house" perspective, and you always provide a good read.

However, I wasn't going to say something, because I figured you'd get your panties in a wad. You confirmed my initial concern. There's really no reason to get miffed, especially when I was trying to convey my message in a somewhat joking manner, hence the winking emoticon.

I know who Bourama Sidibe is. I've watched the games this season and even attended a few, too! Fancy that. You're not the only one on this board who knows who the players are.

I'll continue to read your posts. I was attempting (although fairly, I didn't take the time to accurately state this) to convey that maybe you might consider the fact that as your posts are generally well-read, your use of abbreviations isn't always the most useful if you're typing out long passages and commenting on multiple people, as you generally do. They come in much more handy when only talking about one guy in a short post.

Your high and mighty response wasn't really necessary.

Last edited:
Gonna have to disagree on Dolezaj being a very good ball handler. He's ok dribbling the ball up the court in a wide open situation, but beyond that, his ball handling seems pretty terrible. Too weak and too high of a dribble to drive into traffic with it. Most of his turnovers this year have been him dribbling too much and getting his pocket picked or dribbling it off his foot.

Gonna have to disagree on Dolezaj being a very good ball handler. He's ok dribbling the ball up the court in a wide open situation, but beyond that, his ball handling seems pretty terrible. Too weak and too high of a dribble to drive into traffic with it. Most of his turnovers this year have been him dribbling too much and getting his pocket picked or dribbling it off his foot.

Good insight. I can definitely see instances where that's been a problem. Happened at least once or twice last night. He's much more effective when he's stationary surveying the offense at the top of the key, rather than when he puts the ball on the deck and tries to make something happen for himself.

I agree with both of you... He cant dribble into traffic going to the hoop yet. He had a really bad TO in 2nd half doing that. But he can put the ball on the court once or twice and pass to beat a press. Keep in mind, he is basically taking over for Roberson. Huge upgrade in putting the ball on the floor. i think thats what TomCat was talking about.

I agree with both of you... He cant dribble into traffic going to the hoop yet. He had a really bad TO in 2nd half doing that. But he can put the ball on the court once or twice and pass to beat a press. Keep in mind, he is basically taking over for Roberson. Huge upgrade in putting the ball on the floor. i think thats what TomCat was talking about.

Rober-who? I've blocked that guy from my mind. Don't give me PTSD here.

sutomcat let me first say, I generally really enjoy your takes and analysis, except for your consistent somewhat unwarranted and unfair bashing of the student attendance patterns. (they're on break this week!) I get it. The students of 2017 are not as into the game as they probably were in the 80's and 90's. Part of that is the proliferation of the smartphone. It's hardly unique to the students though, judging on the amount of faces glued to their glowing screens that can be seen around the dome.

Overall, It's great to get your reaction from a very visceral "fan in the house" perspective, and you always provide a good read.

However, I wasn't going to say something, because I figured you'd get your panties in a wad. You confirmed my initial concern. There's really no reason to get miffed, especially when I was trying to convey my message in a somewhat joking manner, hence the winking emoticon.

I know who Bourama Sidibe is. I've watched the games this season and even attended a few, too! Fancy that. You're not the only one on this board who knows who the players are.

I'll continue to read your posts. I was attempting (although fairly, I didn't take the time to accurately state this) to convey that maybe you might consider the fact that as your posts are generally well-read, your use of abbreviations isn't always the most useful if you're typing out long passages and commenting on multiple people, as you generally do. They come in much more handy when only talking about one guy in a short post.

There are many, many people who have been here a long time. There are many others who've been to hundreds of games. Tom is the best of the best and the most humble by far. As for referring to players by their initials, is it that hard to put names to initials when reading Tom's posts? It's not like everyone on the roster is named Jones or Smith.

Last edited:
There are many, many people who have been here a long time. There are many others who've been to hundreds of games. Tom is the best of the best and the most humble by far. As for referring to players by their initials, is it that hard to put names to initials when reading Tom's posts? It's not like everyone on the roster is named Jones or Smith.

I get it. Thanks for the history lesson. That's said with honest sincerity.

I do not get what MM has been doing since his time on the hill. It is baffling to me.

I don't think he's been working out with strength and conditioning coach ED.

They did not get back at the beginning of the game and they were burned. Immediately afterwards, JB called a time out. After that, they got back lickidy split and it was no longer a problem. Oakland is another one of these small fast teams. Can't wait until we come up against a big fast team. Until then, I withhold judgement.

From a guy that doesn't know you at all, I have to say you're way out of line. I'm not sure how you feel it's appropriate to call out one of the guys that keeps this place running and one of the most knowledgeable SU guys I've met, but I guess it's a sign of the era. I wish you well but not everything people think is worth writing down. Your post is one of those times.

I get it. Thanks for the history lesson. That's said with honest sincerity.
I also have to disagree with you on student participation. Having access to a cell phone doesn't mean you shouldn't bother supporting your university or fellow students playing sports at SU. Yes, this week students are on break. But I have ST's (that's "season tickets") for FB and student attendance is at historic lows. This wouldn't be so upsetting if they were busy studying. Instead, there have been photos posted here and elsewhere (many) of large numbers of undergraduate (and underage) students binge partying during games. For many of these students, it seems the goal is the easiest and quickest way to get drunk instead of supporting their University. Disappointing, to say the least. So if Tom makes occasional reference to poor student attendance, he has every right.

are you Igor's son?

From a guy that doesn't know you at all, I have to say you're way out of line. I'm not sure how you feel it's appropriate to call out one of the guys that keeps this place running and one of the most knowledgeable SU guys I've met, but I guess it's a sign of the era. I wish you well but not everything people think is worth writing down. Your post is one of those times.

Chill dude. I wasn't "calling Tomcat out," rather making an observation about his posting. My response was only after to his declaration that I should ignore his posts, which while true, didn't add much to the conversation. I also gave him due respect, both at the start of my response and in a PM that I sent to him.

He doesn't need you to be his white knight in shining armor. Calm down.

I also have to disagree with you on student participation. Having access to a cell phone doesn't mean you shouldn't bother supporting your university or fellow students playing sports at SU. Yes, this week students are on break. But I have ST's (that's "season tickets") for FB and student attendance is at historic lows. This wouldn't be so upsetting if they were busy studying. Instead, there have been photos posted here and elsewhere (many) of large numbers of undergraduate (and underage) students binge partying during games. For many of these students, it seems the goal is the easiest and quickest way to get drunk instead of supporting their University. Disappointing, to say the least. So if Tom makes occasional reference to poor student attendance, he has every right.

That's nothing new. Games at the dome have always been about the "party atmosphere" for a large portion of our student body. What about Otto's Army? That was just getting started when I was on the Hill. Now they run multiple road-trip events for football and basketball for students to attend road games.

It's pretty convenient to pick and choose when to criticize the students for not showing up at the Dome, but fail to give them props for other ways they "support their University."

Student participation sucks in football and basketball unless Duke’s in town. Ive been a season ticket holder for football, and have been going to basketball games big and small for 15 years.

Student participation has dropped with team performance. Makes sense, but I’ll usually be the first to call it out as I saw more students at UB games during college which is sad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom